Updating p4p

Reaction score
I just took my p4p out to fly. Haven’t flown it for a little while and I got a message about a new update for the p4p. I did not update it and flew it and it flew fine. It also had a message about not having my side sensors working. It gave me the number of the update but I don’t remember what it was. When I got home I turned it on again and I didn’t see the update anymore. I thought it would be best to update it at my house where I have a strong wifi signal. Can someone tell me what is the current update for the p4p is and if its ok to update with no glitches in it or should I just keep what is in it now. If I should update it can you tell me how to do this? Thanks

I just took my p4p out to fly. Haven’t flown it for a little while and I got a message about a new update for the p4p. I did not update it and flew it and it flew fine. It also had a message about not having my side sensors working. It gave me the number of the update but I don’t remember what it was. When I got home I turned it on again and I didn’t see the update anymore. I thought it would be best to update it at my house where I have a strong wifi signal. Can someone tell me what is the current update for the p4p is and if its ok to update with no glitches in it or should I just keep what is in it now. If I should update it can you tell me how to do this? Thanks
Some have problems when pointing camera directly down (inverted picture upside down) but I have not had issue. If you would like the new panorama function you will need to update, otherwise you can probably wait for next patch.

If it's flying OK, don't update. Don't fix what's not broke. If you have a compelling reason to update, then go ahead, at the risk of getting other stuff you don't want, like more restrictions or functionality removed you had before. I'm using firmware from last May and my craft flies great. I turned off auto-update for apps, and never update the OS on my iPad to keep compatibility. Once you change craft firmware, RC firmware, Go4 app rev, or the iPad OS rev, you risk things getting out of sync for compatibility. When you do that, make sure you give yourself a week or two to fix the problems, in case you have an important shoot the next day. Don't update the day before you leave on vacation, that's when MURPHY will bite your booty. You have to decide if the risk of getting out of sync is worth it, AND, new things you don't want which DJI failed to disclose, like more restrictions or functionality removed.

I love DJI products, I just don't trust them for new software or firmware. They aren't the greatest for thorough validation before release to the public. This forum is a good source to get the truth about new firmware when it's released, learning if there are bugs or not.

Last edited:
I updated my P4P yesterday and have flown 5 flights and have not had any issues whatsoever! I updated mine thru the GO4 app connected to the aircraft.

Reactions: MtManDavey
Some have problems when pointing camera directly down (inverted picture upside down) but I have not had issue. If you would like the new panorama function you will need to update, otherwise you can probably wait for next patch.

I'm new to video post production work - but have been a still photographer for 30+ years, from the days of darkrooms and film to Photoshop and Lightroom. Perhaps I'm missing something, and granted it's a pain in the rear, but couldn't an inverted image caused by the current P4P firmware be corrected in post work? Or does the inverted image issue happen only with still images and not video?

I'm new to video post production work - but have been a still photographer for 30+ years, from the days of darkrooms and film to Photoshop and Lightroom. Perhaps I'm missing something, and granted it's a pain in the rear, but couldn't an inverted image caused by the current P4P firmware be corrected in post work? Or does the inverted image issue happen only with still images and not video?
It is not a pure inversion unfortunately, rather a strange mix between channels. There are some examples on other threads.

It is not a pure inversion unfortunately, rather a strange mix between channels. There are some examples on other threads.

Just viewed a few videos displaying the issue. :eek: That's pretty extreme - no post work will fix that!

What happened to me:

I was with a friend and we went to get back his Mavic after repair by DJI. So we went there, got the new Mavic and tried it. Then since there was an interesting stadium, we tried to fly there. There were no NFZ, no TFR nothing. All clear.

So, my P4P took off, no problems, everything is ok and all in a sudden, at 60m height, a message popped up: your flight was restricted to 50m height and 30m distance. And the aircraft started landing without any possibility to cancel it.... It was intense. And to my luck it landed in a safe area.
Since we were close to the DJI shop I went to see them. They just told me: ok, need to update the firmware. So, they did it for me.

2 days after on site, with the new firmware, I flew the P4P and I had the same strange issue of the inversion. It killed all my footage...
Then when back home, I checked: the RAW pics taken after the "inversion issue" were orange teinted...

So, I downgraded and since then, no particular issues. I never had the "restricted to 50m height and 30m distance" message...

Conclusion: don't update. Just wait some time. On the DJI forum, anyone who tells them about the new firmware issue, they send him a beta update. As far as I am concerned, I don't trust new firmwares... So, beta ? No way....

What happened to me:

I was with a friend and we went to get back his Mavic after repair by DJI. So we went there, got the new Mavic and tried it. Then since there was an interesting stadium, we tried to fly there. There were no NFZ, no TFR nothing. All clear.

So, my P4P took off, no problems, everything is ok and all in a sudden, at 60m height, a message popped up: your flight was restricted to 50m height and 30m distance. And the aircraft started landing without any possibility to cancel it.... It was intense. And to my luck it landed in a safe area.
Since we were close to the DJI shop I went to see them. They just told me: ok, need to update the firmware. So, they did it for me.

2 days after on site, with the new firmware, I flew the P4P and I had the same strange issue of the inversion. It killed all my footage...
Then when back home, I checked: the RAW pics taken after the "inversion issue" were orange teinted...

So, I downgraded and since then, no particular issues. I never had the "restricted to 50m height and 30m distance" message...

Conclusion: don't update. Just wait some time. On the DJI forum, anyone who tells them about the new firmware issue, they send him a beta update. As far as I am concerned, I don't trust new firmwares... So, beta ? No way....

That sounds like it was set for Beginner Mode.

Reactions: svjobeth
That sounds like it was set for Beginner Mode.

I forgot to mention that before the flight, I checked everything: RTH altitude, and all other options. I had a good coverage of the GPS and no issues with IMU, compass and so on...
Obviously, there was no Beginner mode set at all. And it looks like the Beginner mode was set "automatically"?
Anyway, glad I didn't crash it....

I just updated my iPad mini 4 to 11.2.5 and the DJI GO 4 App to 4.2.5. i have a P4P with the HDIM port and
it has no problems. I did 3 flights yesterday with no problems.

I forgot to mention that before the flight, I checked everything: RTH altitude, and all other options. I had a good coverage of the GPS and no issues with IMU, compass and so on...
Obviously, there was no Beginner mode set at all. And it looks like the Beginner mode was set "automatically"?
Anyway, glad I didn't crash it....
I had the 50/30 m issue twice with a older firmware (last autumn). Rebooting everything solved that but I have no issues with latest firmware.

I recently had a problem after being notified on my P4P+ display that new firmware was available. I had it at a friend's house, ready to do a video of his amateur radio antennas and when I started up the controller, the drone would not get past the notice that I needed to update firmware... no flying on that day until I did so. At home, I connected with the update website and updated the drone control plus both batteries, now flying like a champ.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
finestheatingn