Updating P4 firmware when drone and controller won't connect

Reaction score
After purchasing a new controller for my Phantom 4, I've tried to connect to the drone but no luck.
DJI assistant will still not recognise my Phantom and when asked to choose my device I’m offered only “A2” or “Ronin” to choose from. I read elsewhere that the latest version of DJI assistant does not work with iOS. I'm guessing this is still the case.

Further research told me it’s possible to upgrade my drones firmware via the DJI Go app. So I watched the DJI video on the subject and followed the steps to connect the drone to my mobile device (iPhone 12 Pro max) which has the DJI Go app.

But of course with old firmware on the drone and presumably new firmware on my new controller, there is no way the controller will connect with the drone.

So it would seem I can't connect the controller and the drone because of incompatible firmware and I can't upgrade the firmware because the drone and controller won't connect !!

So can anyone offer advise on how can I update my drones firmware and get flying again, when the drone and controller won't connect?

Any help help would be appreciated

BTW, I've tried linking the drone to the controller with the C1 + C2 + Video button combination. The light on the controller flashes blue and beeps continuously for 5-10 mins and then switches itself off. The orange light on the drone just continues to flash orange indicating no connection.

Phantom 4 will work with most models of the GL300 controller but if you your new one is the GL300E or GL300F there is an additional step before linking.

From the camera screen, under the three dots menu in the upper left corner:

Remote Controller Settings>Advanced Settings>Remote Controller Type>Phantom 4

What model remote? Written on the bottom.

P4 uses Go 4 not Go (P3)

If there is a mismatch in firmware it will show on the screen once logged in to Go 4

Beeping indicates the remote sticks need to be recalibrated. Done using Go 4 app. It will not link until this is done.

Last edited:
What country? Reply when you can after reviewing the suggestions above. If unsuccessful, let us know so someone here can help you through this. If all works, let us know that too. Good luck

Reactions: Droneted
I keep adding to my post so I hope you noticed that it will not link until you have recalibrated the remote.
Follow the steps exactly as shown in the app including the gimbal wheel at the end then hit finish. If not completed entirely, you’ll end up having to do this each time you turn it on.

Phantom 4 will work with most models of the GL300 controller but if you your new one is the GL300E or GL300F there is an additional step before linking.

From the camera screen, under the three dots menu in the upper left corner:

Remote Controller Settings>Advanced Settings>Remote Controller Type>Phantom 4
Thanks so much for this information, I'll definately give that a try as you suggest once back with the drone. Many thanks for your input.

The link to the correct DJI Assistant app that someone sent produced an "unknown developer" warning and wouldn't allow me to open the package :-(

The link to the correct DJI Assistant app that someone sent produced an "unknown developer" warning and wouldn't allow me to open the package :-(
The link points to the original file on the DJI website..... what type of computer are you using?

You may have to tell your computer to trust the file and install anyway. Both Windows and Mac have a this security in place.

Using a Mac Mini. Yes, I've had similar issues in the past so will do, thank you !

Using a Mac Mini. Yes, I've had similar issues in the past so will do, thank you !
For Mac, go to your actual Download folder inside Finder (not the placeholder on the Menu bar)..... right click on the Assistant pkg file and install. From that location it will warn you but ask if you want to install anyway

Greetings all and thanks so much for all of your input. A few days away from the drone and computer but now back to rejoin the struggle.
Had some limited success, have the correct version DJI Assistant installed on my computer (thanks Saladshooter) and upgraded the DJI Go app on my phone and both appear to be working. But my two issues remain. Namely unable to link P4 with new controller and therefore unable to upgrade firmware for either drone or controller. The DJI video I've watch instructs "connect drone and controller" as part of the firmware upgrade procedure, but I've not found a way to do that.
As advised, I also went looking for that "extra step" needed for my controller (Remote Controller Settings>Advanced Settings>Remote Controller Type>Phantom 4), but have been unable to find any reference to controller advanced settings. I was prompted to link at one stage and actually got the blue led flashing. I then pressed the link button on the drone and it dutifully went from a fixed light to flashing but timed out without linking after 1 minute. Tried 3 times, same result. So do the controller and drone have to be linked before a firmware upgrade can be attempted? It would seem so. Trying the firmware upgrade with the DJI Assistant fared no better with the app just indicating to plug in a USB cable that was already connected. Once again, any help with this would be much appreciated.

Back to a few questions..... What model remote is this? GL300 A,B,C,E,F,L or K? It will make a difference in how we can help and will be printed on the back of the remote.

You do have the DJI Go4 app installed?..... DJI Go will not work.

As advised, I also went looking for that "extra step" needed for my controller (Remote Controller Settings>Advanced Settings>Remote Controller Type>Phantom 4), but have been unable to find any reference to controller advanced settings.
If you can get to the Remote Controller settings screen.... Advanced Settings should be on the bottom of the page.... you would possibly have to scroll down to see it. It also would not be visible or needed if you have an earlier remote...... GL300A, B, or C.

Hello Again
I've just checked the model number in the controller and it's GL 300L. I also got DjJI assistant to accept that the controller was plugged in and the only firmware option listed was VO1.00.5200. P4P RC for Phantom Pro V2.0.
I'm wondering if I've actually been given the wrong controller for my P4 ? Would a P4P controller be compatible with a P4 drone do you think?

My controller settings screen list reads :

BUTTON CUSTOMISATION
LINKING CONTROLLER

That's it, no other menu choices.

Yes... you have the wrong controller. The GL300L will only work with the Phantom 4 Pro V2.

Its amazing that you ended up with that one...... because almost any other remote would have worked with your drone. Take a look bellow at the line for the P4:

Phantom 4 Compatibility Chart - Drone Help Forum

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 6.26.46 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: tunadoctor
Well wouldn't you know it! Could have spent an awful lot more time trying to get that combination to work !!
Thanks so much for your input on this, much appreciated. Hopefully I can get the controller swapped and have another go at getting things working.

Cheers - Carl

Greetings all and thanks so much for all of your input. A few days away from the drone and computer but now back to rejoin the struggle.
Had some limited success, have the correct version DJI Assistant installed on my computer (thanks Saladshooter) and upgraded the DJI Go app on my phone and both appear to be working. But my two issues remain. Namely unable to link P4 with new controller and therefore unable to upgrade firmware for either drone or controller. The DJI video I've watch instructs "connect drone and controller" as part of the firmware upgrade procedure, but I've not found a way to do that.
As advised, I also went looking for that "extra step" needed for my controller (Remote Controller Settings>Advanced Settings>Remote Controller Type>Phantom 4), but have been unable to find any reference to controller advanced settings. I was prompted to link at one stage and actually got the blue led flashing. I then pressed the link button on the drone and it dutifully went from a fixed light to flashing but timed out without linking after 1 minute. Tried 3 times, same result. So do the controller and drone have to be linked before a firmware upgrade can be attempted? It would seem so. Trying the firmware upgrade with the DJI Assistant fared no better with the app just indicating to plug in a USB cable that was already connected. Once again, any help with this would be much appreciated.
Once again I see you referring to DJI Go which does not work with a P4 .. you must use DJI Go 4

Absolutely, thank you, DJI Go 4 and the correct controller ;-), all gotta help right👍

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.