Updating firmware for REMOTE CONTROLLER

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im struggling to do the firmware update for the remote controller.

I have updated the phantom, (text file reads success) and now im trying to do the controller.

On all the videos I have seen, they all have a usb stick with an SD card reader... I do not have this, but I think there is a round about way of doing it using the wires?

TY in advance for help...

Do you have a regular USB stick? I just used a regular USB drive for my controller, and a micro SD card for the Phantom. Worked on the first try without any problems.

If you don't have a USB drive, I believe you can plug the controller into the Phantom using the supplied cable, and update the it that way (using the micro SD in the Phantom).

I just put the update files on a USB stick, plug it in to the controller then turn it on. It takes a few seconds till it starts to update. You will know when it is done as the beeping will stop and if it is a success, the little light on the left of the controller will turn from blue to green.

I tried to plug my controller into my phantom to update first but didn't seem to work so just did the USB stick way and works fine.

Last edited:
I did this with a USB thumbdrive - easy.

Updating the Remote Controller Firmware
Step 1- Check Battery and SD Card Capacity
Remote controller firmware is included in the aircraft firmware update package. Use the same update package file that is downloaded from the DJI official website. Ensure that the remote controller battery level is above 50%.
Step 2- Prepare the Firmware Update Package
1. Extract all downloaded files into the root directory of an SD card or USB thumb drive.
2. Insert the SD card into a SD card reader or the USB thumdrive onto the remote controller USB port when remote controller powered off. If you do not have a SD card reader, you may insert the SD card into the gimbal and connect the gimbal with remote controller to upgrade the remote controller.
Step 3- Update the Remote Controller
1. Power on the remote controller and wait 60 seconds until the upgrade begins. Do not power off the remote controller during the update.
2. It will take approximately 10 minutes to complete the firmware update. The camera will sound a beeping sound and the Status LED on the remote controller shows solid blue to indicate the update is in progress. The Status LED on remote controller shows solid green and beeping sound will stop if the upgrade is completed with success. The Status LED on remote controller shows solid red if upgrade is failed. Try upgrade again.

yeah no USB stick boys, that was the issue - so i went on to the live chat, and you can use the wire that connects from the controller to the phantom, and use the SD card in the phantom. Turn both the phantom and controller on and it does it

Cheers fella's.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You must plug the wire INTO THE CAMERA not the quad if you want to update the remote and you don't have an adapter.

i did it, with the cable, and got only one .txt file
the file said both: "success" and "abort" even though the process seemed normal.
the message i got said:
"the firmware on the SD car is equal to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft"
weird...

how do I interpret that?

Can you post exactly how you got yours to work (step by step)?

Many many thanks in advance!

Delete the txt file and try again. That looks like the log file from the aircraft. It should take about 60 seconds for the controller to start updating. Also, it might already be up to date.

I did this with a USB thumbdrive - easy.

Updating the Remote Controller Firmware
Step 1- Check Battery and SD Card Capacity
Remote controller firmware is included in the aircraft firmware update package. Use the same update package file that is downloaded from the DJI official website. Ensure that the remote controller battery level is above 50%.
Step 2- Prepare the Firmware Update Package
1. Extract all downloaded files into the root directory of an SD card or USB thumb drive.
2. Insert the SD card into a SD card reader or the USB thumdrive onto the remote controller USB port when remote controller powered off. If you do not have a SD card reader, you may insert the SD card into the gimbal and connect the gimbal with remote controller to upgrade the remote controller.
Step 3- Update the Remote Controller
1. Power on the remote controller and wait 60 seconds until the upgrade begins. Do not power off the remote controller during the update.
2. It will take approximately 10 minutes to complete the firmware update. The camera will sound a beeping sound and the Status LED on the remote controller shows solid blue to indicate the update is in progress. The Status LED on remote controller shows solid green and beeping sound will stop if the upgrade is completed with success. The Status LED on remote controller shows solid red if upgrade is failed. Try upgrade again.
Hi Farmer...Thank you from me...it worked from my USB stick after trying for days...you are a star :)

Reactions: Farmer
Hi fellas,
I have a different issue. I know that my P3 and remote are up to date, how ever, the pilot app keeps telling me to update the RC. I have re tried to update the controller again and again, but it does not even go into update mode. The led just stays red for well over the 60 second period and still does nothing. I can only assume that is updated already. I still get the RC update notice on the app. Has anyone had this issue before? BTW. this is a brand new P3 Advanced.

Reactions: iangrantphoto
Bluebird, I have the same problem, for 8 hrs. P3P loaded fine....RC nothing. same as you, I feel your pain

Bluebird, I have the same problem, for 8 hrs. P3P loaded fine....RC nothing. same as you, I feel your pain
Thanks for replying, I should kick myself in the head and research this more in these forums. I found that this is a glitch on behalf of DJI. I feel ashamed for not knowing better as I am a authorized DJI dealer and technician. I own 3 Inspire 1's and 4 Phantoms. I never had problems like this before. Just go's to show how DJI sometimes forgets to send this info to it's dealers first. If you have a B controller, You should be good to fly. I am told that this glitch will be fixed in the next update. No worries.. Just ignore the controller requires update in the pilot app for now and read up on the main screen thread titled Firmware with in the topics page.

After your advice Blue Bird, I took a look at my controller it's a "B" took it a spin out in the corn field for 20 min.
she worked just fine at least 1000' feet out. thanks for that info, now I can fly with confidence

Reactions: Drone Master
After your advice Blue Bird, I took a look at my controller it's a "B" took it a spin out in the corn field for 20 min.
she worked just fine at least 1000' feet out. thanks for that info, now I can fly with confidence
Glad to help fellow Pilots anytime. Lets see your video.

Really? You would have never put this together with the Phantom in question under 4 hrs from this post. But good try. It's all good. Nice vid none the less.

Thanks for replying, I should kick myself in the head and research this more in these forums. I found that this is a glitch on behalf of DJI. I feel ashamed for not knowing better as I am a authorized DJI dealer and technician. I own 3 Inspire 1's and 4 Phantoms. I never had problems like this before. Just go's to show how DJI sometimes forgets to send this info to it's dealers first. If you have a B controller, You should be good to fly. I am told that this glitch will be fixed in the next update. No worries.. Just ignore the controller requires update in the pilot app for now and read up on the main screen thread titled Firmware with in the topics page.
I just looked at my RC and it shows Model GL300B. Do I fall in the B series that I should ignore the firmware update error for the RC?

Blue Bird say's if you have a "B" RC you can, and I did, mine works just fine, I ran it through a lot of flying
yesterday

I have flown mine also about 3 hours total time before I stopped and never had 1 issue. I guess its safe to fly because I tried RTH and it worked flawless. It landed about 3 feet from take off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers