Updated Firmware, but P3P is losing altitude...

Reaction score
Hello everyone...

Quick question. Earlier today, I updated the Firmware to 1.6 (the most recent release) for my Batteries and updated the RC to 1.5 (it's most recent) update. Took the Phantom up to test it to an altitude of 20 feet and let it hover. After about a minute or so, it started to come down every so slightly per the DJI app. At about a minute and a half it was down to 17 ft, then 13 ft, then at 10 (4 minutes later), I landed it and decided to do some calibrating - IMU and Gimbal because I always do them together.... Still losing altitude. Just trying to figure things out in case I lose the App midflight and my bird hovers, but also loses altitude...
Anyone know why or is there something that I should change? Let me know, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you so much for your time!

-Mo

I would turn it off if you are flying outside. Not if indoors. It seems most recommend to turn it off outside. I have 1.6 and it hovers perfectly.

The barometer and compass are what is responsible for the altitude and position. Have you done a proper compass calibration?

Thanks, my man!! I will try that and report back if it isn't helping. I really thought VPS was only turned off if flying over something reflective... water, snow, ice lol

I did a Compass Calibration after I noticed it didn't really help. Still lost altitude super slowly...

The barometer and compass are what is responsible for the altitude and position. Have you done a proper compass calibration?
Frank,

Question as I'm a newbie. I know if you lose GPS it will use the barometer for height which can go up or down. But does the compass play a role in the height, say if you are just hovering, does it have a role other than vertical position? Thanks - just trying to learn like everyone else.

When I did do my 1.6 I noticed it went up and down a few feet hovering and noticed VPS was on. This was a new machine.

The compass will help to keep the aircraft in the set position you placed it in. Just like any sensor, if it is confused in any way, it will not perform properly.

Frank,

Question as I'm a newbie. I know if you lose GPS it will use the barometer for height which can go up or down. But does the compass play a role in the height, say if you are just hovering, does it have a role other than vertical position?
The compass is for flying straight and sensing direction.
It has nothing to do with altitude.
And neither does GPS which is only there for horizontal position and speed sensing.
The barometer is the only sensor involved with altitude.

^^^ Now knowing that the Barometer is the only sensor involved with altitude... what should I do?

^^^ Now knowing that the Barometer is the only sensor involved with altitude... what should I do?
The barometer sensor is part of the IMU.
You could try recalibrating the IMU

If you're in a cold part of the world, taking the Phantom from a warm house or car and flying in a much colder environment may also affect the barometer reading due to temperature change.

Oh cool, I did the IMU Cal and it was still losing altitude. I do live in Seattle, so it may be the weather.

Bumping this up, to see if the consensus is that they will all have altitude problems due to weather?

My P3A loses altitude pretty regularly. I had it with the original firmware, and upgraded firmware (hate the authorized to fly checkboxes on the new firmware). I've calibrated Compass, IMU, and Controller, all with no change. It happens with VPS on and Off.

If I take off and set the height to about 6 feet, don't touch the sticks, within a minute or so, it will be a foot off the ground. The indicator in the app will still say 6 feet. I can go back up to 6 feet (again) and the indicator will now say 12 feet, and it will eventually come back to just about the ground level, still reading 12 feet. Yesterday, on an 18 minute flight, when I landed, the app (and the log) showed it thought it was at 34 feet. I can't do low flights (like over water) with any confidence.

My real question is, do they all do this? I'm still within my 30 day return Window with Amazon, so I can exchange it, if I'm likely to get one that won't have this problem, but if it is weather related, it won't matter. It has been pretty hot outside in my area, for what that's worth.

When you described the behavior of your aircraft at about 10 or 12 feet and below, you described the same problem I am currently experiencing.

How did you (or anyone else) rectify this?

I wasn't able to fix my issue. I exchanged my unit with Amazon within my 30 days. I'll say the "new" unit (which was actually older and I think a refurb) was somewhat better and my altitude drops were not as extreme, but they still occur. Seems like they all have some issues, but certain units might be worse than others.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen