Unstable P3P fight

Reaction score
Phantom 3 pro unstable flight.
I took it to the park and flew two perfect flights. But this morning I tried to fly it in my neighborhood,
It had 17 satellites and compass calibration showed successful, but when I took off if acted like it had a mind on it's own and headed for my neighbors house. I corrected the the flight and it again headed towards the house again. I pulled the throttle down to stop it and it landed and then tried to take off again and flipped over and skinned up the props before I could turn off the motors. What the hell caused this. I have the latest firmware. 1.2.6
There's some high voltage lines about a 1/2 a mile from my house, could those be the problem?

There is major issues with firmware 1.2.6. There will soon be a firmware update 1.2.9 that should help many issues.

You might try turning off the VPS, otherwise the smart thing most are doing is not flying until the next update due out soon.

Did it establish a home point before you took off? Did you have a green "ready to fly" on the app?

Yes it said home point set and ready to fly, 17 satellites. After it lost it's mind, it still showed safe to fly, made me afraid to fly again, luckily I never got over 10 ft high before it lost it's mind

I've found a similar problem since updating firmware and app about a week ago. For the first 5 minutes of each flight the P3P is extremely difficult to control, but it settles down and stabilises after a while and behaves predictably for the rest of the flight.

I've found a similar problem since updating firmware and app about a week ago. For the first 5 minutes of each flight the P3P is extremely difficult to control, but it settles down and stabilises after a while and behaves predictably for the rest of the flight.
I agree. I thought it was just me but it definitely doesn't fly normally for a few minutes and then seems to settle down! Bizarre. ...

Thanks for all the responses, it helps to know other people had these issues. After two perfect flights this was unnerving.

Call me nuts but everyone dismisses solar flares. If NASA thinks they cause satellite GPS and radio issues it's something as pilots we should pay attention to. I am a amateur radio operator and it affects radio communications. I have over 55 flights only unstable flight and it happened to be a major solar flare.

http://www.spaceweather.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bobomet and Trumple
I'm not sure that the behaviour we are seeing is consistent with solar flare disruption as it only happens for the first 5 minutes or so of each flight. If it were solar flare activity, wouldn't we expect to see issues at any time during a flight?

Once I get mine to about 9 feet or more it settles down rock stable for the rest of the flight.
Floats on auto take off nothing to major but it would drive a perfectionist nuts I guess.
Again after getting up about 9 feet stable battery after battery even at lower 3 foot level.

I wonder if you're in a wifi dense area and it takes a few minutes for the radio to settle on channels to use.

I think the key point for a number of us is that we are seeing this initial instability now that we weren't seeing a week or so ago and the local environment we are operating in hasn't changed, or hasn't appeared to change. So, unless there are macro-environmental issues (eg solar influences or similar) then the cause must be the firmware and/or software update.

This was pretty bad, I came up to hover about 5 ft high and it drifted about 20 ft within 30 seconds, as I try to correct it's course it would immediately drift off to the side. I landed it and the motors throttled back up and try to take off again.

Phantom 3 pro unstable flight.
I took it to the park and flew two perfect flights. But this morning I tried to fly it in my neighborhood,
It had 17 satellites and compass calibration showed successful, but when I took off if acted like it had a mind on it's own and headed for my neighbors house. I corrected the the flight and it again headed towards the house again. I pulled the throttle down to stop it and it landed and then tried to take off again and flipped over and skinned up the props before I could turn off the motors. What the hell caused this. I have the latest firmware. 1.2.6
There's some high voltage lines about a 1/2 a mile from my house, could those be the problem?
Did you get a compass error at anytime before or after you took off or did you lose picture??

This all took place within 30 seconds, it still said safe to fly after all the crap.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20