Unknown settings in DJI Mode for Phantom 2

Reaction score
I have been practicing a lot with the Phantom 2 in the basic Phantom mode. My favorite fun thing is to drop as fas as I can, then "apply the brakes" by pushing up on the throttle. I like to see how close I can get. I know, stupid fun. I do this over an empty golf course.

Recently I changed the settings on the Phantom to the more advanced DJI mode. The only setting I want is the IOC control so I can do Home Lock. It's great being able to point the camera one way, while flying forward. I keep pretty much to nose-in and tail-out flying for now, but want the camera to be able to turn. All that works great.

But I noticed that my game of quick decent with a full throttle up to stop doesn't work anymore. I've crashed twice now. When I push up the throttle to stop the descent, the Phantom drops like a stone. So I'm thinking there is some sort of throttle control that has changed. I don't need to do my quick descent game, but I do want to make sure I have good control over the ascend and descent.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

CallMeAlan said:
You're risking serious damage. Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state

+1

Never descend rapidly in a direct downwards manner. You WILL, without question, initiate a VRS-induced stall and destroy your phantom if you don't know how to recover. I know you're trying to practice something with a good intention, but you're just wasting your time learning how to do something that you should never do and will ultimately end up causing you to destroy your machine.

I would recommend never descending quicker than 1.5m/s (less if possible) and always do it on a sufficient angle. If you have to move directly downwards, do it very slowly. There's a reason that the return-to-home function descends your phantom so slowly.

If you are ever involved in a VRS-type stall again, throttle forward, not upwards. Throttling upwards will make you plummet quicker.

Read about vortex ring state. As a pilot of one of these quadcopters, you need to know what it is, how to prevent it and how to recover from it.

Here's a sample video for you watch -- not the best example, but it will do : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsd_x1i_vAA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic