Ultrasonic sensor error

And?? What happened?

Make sure you have cookies enabled.
Nothing happened after error... I flew up my driveway and landed like it told me. the battery was low anyway. My next few flights have not had error again...

and cookies is set to always allow on ipad and still wont save log in info.....

Sorry don't know as I was flying it line of sight for a few minutes before I land at about 5 meters then brought it in to land manually and wanted to chose a good landing spot without to many stones on.

It's only when I was on ground I saw the warning.

Ok, i only asked cos vps doesn't kick in until 3mtrs so you wouldn't expect this message to be sent if the craft was above that level.

Ok, i only asked cos vps doesn't kick in until 3mtrs so you wouldn't expect this message to be sent if the craft was above that level.
I hope to give it a whirl again tonight so will keep an eye out for it.

Yes good idea just clock the screen when coming down to 3mtrs, and by rights that message should not pop up above 3trs i would guess.
Will send you over the details now.

Edit.

after reading back blade states the bad data comes from the sonar which i guess still works above the 3mtr level un like the VPS working at 3mts and below.

Last edited:
I think what we need is a chart of some sort stating under what conditions each of these system has priority based on the flying mode, height etc.
GPS
VPS
Sonar
Height
for various flying mode.
I am sure after a few months, all these will be clear.
But since this is a new bird, no one knows. Only the programmer knows.
I was able to flip my bird under control conditions That is flying low, GPS down to 3, VPS on and battery running low. It just flipped when it is on top of an artificial cliff that I created.
See my post on P3 crash near roof.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/p3p-crash.39967/page-5#post-376442

Page 12 of the manual gives you the Aircraft Status Indicator (rear arm LEDs) patterns and definitions.
This is the status of the Flight Controller.

That is after the fact info. What I need is the conditions on what happens in the transitions between these mode. By the time you see the change in the lights, your bird is already crashed.
When I did my test, you have about 1 to 2 seconds to recover.
With the experiment that I have done, in the P-mode it is definitely GPS priority over VPS even at close proximity to the ground. Then RTH interactions comes into play and screw everything up.
There are just too many combinations and permutations to try. I do not mind trying and experiment, just that with limited supply of parts (mainly props), I do not want to do too much playing around and risk not able to fly the P3 completely. I guess one can always use the P2 props and some tape on the threads to do testing.

Yes good idea just clock the screen when coming down to 3mtrs, and by rights that message should not pop up above 3trs i would guess.
Will send you over the details now.
Took it out again and no error message.

So I am guess it was the dust storm kicked up.

I flew over a few shrubs and pebbly ground and brought it down like before not any problem

Yea the dust has got to confuse it that's for sure. Let us know your response from them anyway. Be interesting to see if they want all your flight log details all so. Shows they are taking things seriously tho, as i didn't get a reply saying clean the sensors or it may have just been dust blowing up giving bad data. So big thumbs up to dji on that respect.

Just read back now, and blade said this error message comes from to much bad data from the sonar and stated when turning of VPS it turns of the complete system (ie sonar as well). So maybe not a light issue.

In the manual I noticed it also says not to use it near other sonar devises that are near the same frequency. So it seems like in the right circumstance it could hear the ping of anther sonar and that would probably really confuse the heck out of it.

I also noticed in a video today that had a guy from djis aerial cinematography dept demoing the p3 and the guy that was with him asked about the height and he said it can ever be as high as 15 feet for the vps depending on conditions of the surface. He also mentioned the video sensor likes some contrast on the surface and said if you were indoors on all white floor it would not work. Being there is no pattern.

He also tried to show some thing about the vps. By trying to place his hand under it when it was hovering at about head height. and was going to get it to lift up in height by putting his hand under it but his hand was to small to block it but said if they had a pcs of card board it would of showed what he was trying to show. It would of jumped up to stay the same height above the card board as it was it was off the ground and came back down after pulling it away.

That made me think of the report of some one flying off a cliff and the vps doing exactly what its supposed to do. as it would of wanted to stay the same height off the surface. Tho if the cliff is a drop off the vps should also want to then drop the phantom cept over water and the vps dont work to good over water so the guys p2 kissed the water for a bit before pulling out.

But it also made me think of the roof crash to. It would seem going just slightly over the edge would be like have the pcs of card board under it then taking it away and it lowering but being so close to the edge it may have hit a landing leg on one side and started to tilt to one side and then the flight controller may have tried to right its self to compensate and then hit the props on the roof or the dormer.

If it has GPS lock then NO VPS at any altitude.

VPS was intended for indoors. Unlikely causing the issues we hear about, remember GLONASS is now available.

The Sonar sensor on the Inspire 1 works upto about 3m but the P3 I only see about 2m. Tried more silly things with the Sonar and it was fun watching it autoland on all sorts of stupid things like sand, bags of cement, short crops etc

Done a few more tests. Definitely turning my VPS off for now. Transition from P-GPS mode to P-Opti mode when you loose GPS flying low and you are sitting at the edge of a "cliff", in this case a planter on the ground full of dirt that I am using for testing, will cause you to loose all directional controls.
Only remedy is fly atti or just shutdown. I can now duplicate this 100% of the time since I found a spot at my house that will go from 10 GPS to 0.

Turning off VPS and just do hand catch and forget about hovering low until new firmware update.
Unlikely scenario for 99.99% of people. But I can see problem with people flying close to buildings like the P3P crash in earlier post.

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/p3p-crash.39967/page-5#post-376704

VPS or the sonar sensor needs some work yet. Hopefully, it will be corrected in the next update.

Reactions: DrChris
well let's hope dji regonise the cause of them crashes soon, and if vps is seeming to be a problem sort it with an update. Sooner rather than later tho, it's been a week now and still nobody knows anything from dji.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31