Ultrasonic sensor error

Called DJI this am. Rep said calibrate compass and IMU and fly again. Said I'd have to send it in if error keeps happening. Said I could disable VPS if I wanted to (planning), but didn't think I needed to. When asked, he said that VPS works all the time, regardless of altitude. (Not sure I believe him; he didn't sound that confidant about it.)

This maybe a another tricky subject to answer, plenty of other threads being answered tonight i see since i got in, but not this one.

Sonar is on regardless, the camera not until you get within 10ish ft. But at altitude sonar doesn't mean **** anyway, and I presume the camera just shuts off to conserve juice. Just turn it off. It's like air conditioned seats... Unless you're 600lbs, you'll never miss em.

Reactions: Pumpfixer
When blade commented on this thread early on, i took it from him that while the vps would not be active above 3 mtrs the sonar would, but i am not 100% sure on this as he has not clarified it. The sensor error is the sonar getting to much bad data ( hence over the trees we would guess). Now my main worry has always been should that sonar sensor even be working above 3trs, i don't know. Blade or Ed any comments on this would be great cheers.

Visioning turns off once you have sat lock. Sonar is active only to about 3m but does send out a echo every few ms then becomes active again once within range.

You will see the little icon turn green once it gets a valid echo.

Ok cheers understood. How come people are getting sonar error messages at high altitude tho, i thought those messages only came from bad data from the sonar. Confused, had to many glasses of wine at the meal i think. :oops:

Ok cheers understood. How come people are getting sonar error messages at high altitude tho, i thought those messages only came from bad data from the sonar. Confused, had to many glasses of wine at the meal i think. :oops:

Good question, still haven't received a valid answer to this.

Wine is good but beer is better:cool:

Ok cheers for the info on the sonar, sure we will find out more on the error soon enough. Thanks again ;)

Has there been an association between the error and crashes? Couple of stories online have me worried.

Has there been an association between the error and crashes? Couple of stories online have me worried.

No, people still have control over the craft when error is thrown.

Would simply disabling VPS make the error go away? I flew again tonight with VPS disabled. Didn't see the error.

Don't read them stories.

These toys are being delivered to folks from all parts of the world with varying levels of experience and skill.
Back 'in the day' you could not learn how to fly r/c aircraft without crashing. It's still true today but the FC technology makes it possible for anyone (see first sentence) to achieve some success without the requesite experience.

Eventually accidents will happen and the experienced operators understand it's all just part of the 'deal'. :)

I was doing some experimenting flying low to the ground today and I'm not even sure if my VPS is even working or if its just some thing stuck on the bottom for decoration or trim. I noticed no difference whats so ever with VPS turned on or off in any any flight mode. and I also tried to do the close to the ground flying that some one showed me how the VPS on there inspire keeps you from hitting the ground and to be able to ride any contours in the ground with out having to even touch the left stick at all. I started out about 2 feet off the ground and went forward on pretty level ground and by about 100 feet or so away it was about 6 inches off the ground. Then I pulled it back and after about 2 or 3 feet the back edge of my skids started to drag on the ground and I had to give it some elevation to bring it back up some. Tho only damage was to the back edge of the real rubber pads on the skids is ground off at the rear corner. So The vps dont seem to work or if it does it dont work the way it did on the inspire being on the same area dude just hammered it forward almost hugging the ground at full speed ahead and it keep its height the whole time and it never kissed the pavement at all.

But it does not work like that.

The ground facing camera is for indoor use only when there is no gps.

What about the sonar wont that keep a constant height when under 3m? You cannot use GPS for maintaining height as it is not accurate enough.

I had tried once going from level to up a hill and thought the bird would follow contour of the land with out left stick... it did not....

If you take the time to read the manual about the VPS, you should be aware they list a ton of warnings about where it might cause problems. Like inclined roof lines, over water or monochromatic surfaces like concrete or waving tall grass caused by the wind. Putting your hand under the hovering Phantom may cause a problem, dogs going under it may cause a problem. Turning it off outside may be a good idea, in my opinion. If flying indoors make sure you change your mode switch so the Phantom doesn't get confused when it gets close to windows or sliding glass doors and captures GPS satellites indoors. If you have set the mode switch correctly for indoors flight, it will ignore the GPS inputs.

Other problems mentioned, reflections, in and out of shaded areas on the ground, identical repeating tablets like brick sidewalks, roof tiles, sound absorbing surfaces, sound reflecting surfaces..... moving water surfaces. So, take all of these factory warnings, and I assume there are ten more that will be added as the accident reports come in, like flying low over a sudden drop, like the edge of a retaining wall or cliff or flat roof, or top of a table. If the outcome of these problems was it didn't work, not a big deal. But if the outcome of these issues, is to crash your Phantom, you will be very pissed if you start reading this section of the User's Manual after your new Phantom is laying busted on the ground.

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 7.09.55 AM.png

Reactions: Pumpfixer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub