Ultrasonic sensor error

Reaction score
I got that error yesterday. Was followed by please land asap..this only has happened the first flight since firmware upgrade. I will take a screen shot if it happens again. Any ideas?

I got that error yesterday. Was followed by please land asap..this only has happened the first flight since firmware upgrade. I will take a screen shot if it happens again. Any ideas?
What was the terrain like, how high were you?

thought I read this morning about a P3 that went into the drink.... flyer was over a small cliff, received an error from the sensor and the craft autolanded in the ocean.... cant find the thread here but I'm sure its on the other main supplier forum
Yep, thus my question ;)

From the manual - "Vision Positioning is only effective when the aircraft is at altitudes of 0.3 to 3 meters." (pg15)...but I guess that doesn't mean there can't be some anomaly. Wonder VPS takes input from the altimeter or if it just responds to input when it's within 3 meters of a suitable surface...

thought I read this morning about a P3 that went into the drink.... flyer was over a small cliff, received an error from the sensor and the craft autolanded in the ocean....
Here's the info on RCGroups on it http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31547673&postcount=8116

"Just to make it clearer i was flying over land at a low height about 3 or 4 meters and I headed towards the sea where there is a sort of cliff edge or gradual slope really. As I went over the edge the phantom started descending. I tried to make it go up but it just kept descending!! Unfortunately at this point it was a couple of meters of the sea and went right in . Once in though it didnt stop - the blades kept spinning and then lifted out the water climbing to what I guess was about 20-30m (initially I said 50m but on reflection it was about 20-30m) It was still unresponsive but the return to home button worked and it landed. Cant believe it really!! I have the log files so I hope I can do something!"

Last edited:
seems to be more threads of "sensor error" message and threads being opened here and elsewhere.... 3-4 in last few hours I count

Can you turn off the Bottom Sensor? What are the different modes you have on the switch? P A and F? Did not know if once you got the Phantom in the air, if you should switch it off the P mode. Not sure, I don't have mine yet. :)

This would now appear to be a problem with the P3 at this point, i have read a few things on this today myself. I have emailed dji support and they have replied back that they are sending my email onto a higher tech department about the subject. That was this morning and still waiting for another reply.
I never liked the idea of the VPS from the off on launch night i said i bet that could cause some problems. Not saying it is the problem at this point, but something is and that is now very clear i think.

Last edited:
This would now appear to be a problem with the P3 at this point, i have read a few things on this today myself. I have emailed dji support and they have replied back that they are sending my email onto a higher tech department about the subject. That was this morning and still waiting for another reply.
I never like the idea of the VPS from the off on launch night i said i bet that could cause some problems. Not saying it is the problem at this point, but something is and that is now very clear i think.
You can turn off the VPS

I was playing around on the street at aprox 4ft high. Then headed toward my driveway that has a steep incline.... Its like it does not like quick transitions in terrain? Also how do I stay logged in on this forum on my iphone? I check the box that says leave me logged in. And it wont remember my login info either...

Yeah may not be a bad idea to just disable VPS for normal outdoor flying. If you need to fly indoors then just flip it back on. At least until they sort this out.

I'm with you guys on this one - see no need for VPS outdoors!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.