Ultimate Flight (Android)-waypoint + save/load RELEASED!

Re: Ultimate Flight (Android)-waypoint + save/load this week

kenargo said:
Another waypoint mission today (1 of 6 I flew; icons are shaping up), nearly ready to push the (release) button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl25xjE8QBU

I like the simple dark icons! The app is looking more complete with every update.
I'm hoping to do a few flights tomorrow. I just figured out mobizen installed it. I'll post my flights.

If DJI would fix the last of their lock-up issues and random shut-downs it would be really good!

Now available: full Ground Station functionality.

See website for details but the quick and short...

Offline creation of missions, save, load, edit.

Easily clone settings for new waypoints within the same mission

More details here:

http://www.kenargo.com/AndroidApps/UltimateFlight/

One known issue with camera during waypoint: Due to an issue in the DJI SDK it is best to use auto camera-on. The DJI SDK reports the video being off during GS flight and as a result once video is turned on it cannot be turned off. I am actively working with DJI to correct this bug and will update the release once a fix is available.

So I bought the app last night but Im a little apprehensive to use it considering what I have invested in the quad LOL.

eseckinger said:
So I bought the app last night but Im a little apprehensive to use it considering what I have invested in the quad LOL.

Start slow...

Unless you turn on Waypoint the app is 100% about camera and video; no control functions.

When you decide to enable Ground Station, same as I would tell anyone with my app or any other app; know that the S1 (right switch) on the control aborts any program control and immediately returns control back to the controller. Flip the switch and you have control but remember to center the throttle sticks before you start a mission so that if you flip the switch the Phantom doesn't immediately see low throttle (can you tell I've done that a few time :)

Ask questions: if you are not sure what something is or how it works, ask. Here, using the website and send an email directly, using the Google or FaceBook groups.

Make suggestions, if you see something you think would best work differently, make a suggestion. This app is as much about what I want as what its users would like to see!

GS has literally had hundreds of flights and no crashes that I am aware of (OK, there was 1 case where the motors turned off but the app can't do that and we've seen that happen in regular flight, albeit rarely) but other than that it's been flawless. Even when the app shuts down or freezes (working with DJI to correct those issues) the Phantom is unaffected both in GS and flight. Worse case is you restart the app and your back online. GS missions will complete even if the app has an issue and there is always the S1 if you get nervous.

Take it slow and get comfortable; the same I would say with the Vision App.

Hope this helps

So, I just flew a test ground station mission with the app. All went well but I did notice a couple issues . I had all the way points set to 40m but they stayed at 30m? Luckily 30m was plenty high but still not where I had them set at. Also noticed that at a couple of the way points it did a few turns before continuing on. Almost like it wasn't sure which way to go for a few seconds.

Here's the screen shot of the flight. I had a terrible clare on the screen and hit "go home" at first but for the first time using mobizen and my new tablet, it turned out okay. Think I need to turn down the rez a bit. The video was pretty laggy.

Ultimate flight app: http://youtu.be/bWt9i0gIXyc

AmosMoses said:
So, I just flew a test ground station mission with the app. All went well but I did notice a couple issues . I had all the way points set to 40m but they stayed at 30m? Luckily 30m was plenty high but still not where I had them set at. Also noticed that at a couple of the way points it did a few turns before continuing on. Almost like it wasn't sure which way to go for a few seconds.

Here's the screen shot of the flight. I had a terrible clare on the screen and hit "go home" at first but for the first time using mobizen and my new tablet, it turned out okay. Think I need to turn down the rez a bit. The video was pretty laggy.

Ultimate flight app: http://youtu.be/bWt9i0gIXyc

I noticed that with the Phantom on the ground it was reporting an altitude of 8 m so if you set the waypoints to 40 m your flight altitude would be 40m - 9m = 31m. The app only corrects your altitude if it detects a lower distance. Do you think the waypoints should always be corrected up based on ground altitude? It would be easy to add but since the Vision doesn't do it I hadn't included the functionality. Comments?

The turning at a waypoint is the Phantom locating the next waypoint and the same behavior is common in Vision. Once the waypoint mission is uploaded the app has no effect on the flight; it's all the Phantom firmware so what you experienced is expected.

Question: Currently, the app will ask and adjust waypoints up if it detects that (ground altitude - waypoint altitude) is < 10m (33 ft); it doesn't do it otherwise. In your opinion, and the opinion of others, should the app prompt and adjust up when it detects that ground altitude > 0 ?

I have it set to zero the altitude when I start the motors. You'll notice that it does when I power them on. I'll be honest, I'm not the most tec savy flyer but I'm not afraid to learn.
I usually power cycle the quad at least twice before I take off. That seems to give it time to adjust for the outside conditions and corrects the altitude reading. I didn't do that with this flight.
I would think that whatever is needed to give as accurate information as possible to the "true" altitude of the quad would be best for the average user. How or if that's possible with the app, idk. Lol.

Got ya as far as the dance at the way points. Makes sense.
As far as the app prompting to adjust the waypoints. If I'm understanding you correctly, I would think that it's a good idea if it's something that can catch an oversight when planning a mission if that oversight can cause a possible crash.

I have never seen a - minus altitude , for me is always seems to be a plus , but The app setting a zero
I would be happy with that. Are you still working on syncing between devices ?

Will try and think of more stuff to bug ya with ;-)

Hi Kenargo,

I have just installed your app. It looks promising! Will give it a try soon. I just saved a waypoint mission, and I have one suggestion. Could you please calculate and show the total mission time? Since the distance and the speed is known, it should be easy. The mission duration will help determine if it's safe to fly the mission with the battery.

Ken, are you planning on doing bank/turn for the waypoints in GS? Also is it possible to show the distance between waypoints on the planning screen instead of having to pull up the other box? These are just questions, not complaining about this app at all.

methinx said:
Hi Kenargo,

I have just installed your app. It looks promising! Will give it a try soon. I just saved a waypoint mission, and I have one suggestion. Could you please calculate and show the total mission time? Since the distance and the speed is known, it should be easy. The mission duration will help determine if it's safe to fly the mission with the battery.

Totals are shown then you press go, they are part of the summary before you start the flight. Go really only presents the details at each waypoint; altitude, stay time, speed, etc and also total distance (between each waypoint and for the complete mission).

Bear501 said:
Ken, are you planning on doing bank/turn for the waypoints in GS? Also is it possible to show the distance between waypoints on the planning screen instead of having to pull up the other box? These are just questions, not complaining about this app at all.

Yes, there are 2 new features coming but due to a bug in the SDK they are disabled. I have orientation at a waypoint; where the Phantom yaws to a specific direction during the waypoint and there will be different turn radius. The yaw worked in the previous SDK but appears to have been broken in the update so it's disabled and the turn types are disabled, also due to a bug in the SDK. I am working with DJI to have the SDK corrected so that I can include them in a near future release.

Yes, I can include waypoint summary details on-screen; it just didn't make the cut this time around; it is planned.

Bear501 said:
He mentioned it's coming down the road.

kenargo said:
methinx said:
Hi Kenargo,

Totals are shown then you press go, they are part of the summary before you start the flight. Go really only presents the details at each waypoint; altitude, stay time, speed, etc and also total distance (between each waypoint and for the complete mission).

I don't see the total flight time. Only the total distance. Or am I missing something?

methinx said:
kenargo said:
methinx said:
Hi Kenargo,

I don't see the total flight time. Only the total distance. Or am I missing something?

Sorry, communication error; it should have been singular; there is only total flight distance.

Flight time is easily added but it would be an estimate; would you like that added? Would time between waypoints be valuable to see?

I understand it would be an estimate. I think both would be useful but for battery the most important is the total.

methinx said:
I understand it would be an estimate. I think both would be useful but for battery the most important is the total.

Ok, let me add it and see how you like it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna