UAV Pilots will have a choice, which would you want? (USA)

Reaction score
We (UAV Pilots, pro and amateur) have a choice. Like the RC model industry, which is "self regulated" by the AMA (users/operators), we (uav operators) can have a choice of who will regulate us. The government in a heavy way (FAA) or the users (AMA) with some government regs. Basically, it will go like this. If we fly without safety in mind, that's every time we fly, we will shorten the FAA leash on us. Which will be pressured by the government and the normal people. If many accidents/incidence happen, I can see the FAA strictly regulating copter operations unless flown at a AMA sanctioned site. (an RC club sanctioned by the AMA). Any use in other areas will bring fines. Think this won't happen? As soon as someone is maimed or killed I think that will be the turning point. Also, If you are not an AMA member, you might look into it. It's a good organization and is very helpful to our passion. I have been seeing novice and RC beginners doing very stupid things with there drones. The fact that they are not fixed wing and can do VTOL makes flying wherever and whenever very temping. Until now, we (mostly fixed wing and reg heli's) have been funneled into flying at club sites because of the runway and safety needs of flying such aircraft. Now with uav's being bought up and becoming super popular, that runway requirement is all but gone. We should start advocating safety and passing on AMA safety rules so that our hobby and passion will not be regulated to death in the future. I'm in the USA, so that is my perspective as I write this. I'm am a bit tired of seeing uav incidents on the local and national news. Are you?

My daughter sent iphone footage at a concert last night. The band/production company had a uav flying over the crowd/audience. Although that sounds like "a freaking blast of fun" to me. I'm very weary of the great risk they were taking.

2 cents
Brad P

Two things need to happen... 1) news coverage will die down as drones become more mainstream. When that happens, these things won't be so much of an issue and 2) people who fly drones in a reckless manner need to be fined. The FAA needs to start hitting these people up for money and they need to get that in to the news. Then people who fly will understand its not the wild, wild, west.

On a side note, we will also start to move into a time when drones are put to good use. Delivering floats to people droning, delivering medical supplies, search and rescue, etc.

Reactions: snerd
We (UAV Pilots, pro and amateur) have a choice. Like the RC model industry, which is "self regulated" by the AMA (users/operators), we (uav operators) can have a choice of who will regulate us. The government in a heavy way (FAA) or the users (AMA) with some government regs. Basically, it will go like this. If we fly without safety in mind, that's every time we fly, we will shorten the FAA leash on us. Which will be pressured by the government and the normal people. If many accidents/incidence happen, I can see the FAA strictly regulating copter operations unless flown at a AMA sanctioned site. (an RC club sanctioned by the AMA). Any use in other areas will bring fines. Think this won't happen? As soon as someone is maimed or killed I think that will be the turning point. Also, If you are not an AMA member, you might look into it. It's a good organization and is very helpful to our passion. I have been seeing novice and RC beginners doing very stupid things with there drones. The fact that they are not fixed wing and can do VTOL makes flying wherever and whenever very temping. Until now, we (mostly fixed wing and reg heli's) have been funneled into flying at club sites because of the runway and safety needs of flying such aircraft. Now with uav's being bought up and becoming super popular, that runway requirement is all but gone. We should start advocating safety and passing on AMA safety rules so that our hobby and passion will not be regulated to death in the future. I'm in the USA, so that is my perspective as I write this. I'm am a bit tired of seeing uav incidents on the local and national news. Are you?

My daughter sent iphone footage at a concert last night. The band/production company had a uav flying over the crowd/audience. Although that sounds like "a freaking blast of fun" to me. I'm very weary of the great risk they were taking.

2 cents
Brad P

I've seen 1000lb moving rigs over people at event with performers on them. It seems WAY less safe than a quad that weighs a few pounds.

The bad news will die down when the news morons start using them and/or decide they're beneficial to their needs, not before then.

I joined the AMA a few weeks ago. Same with the NRA............. Only groups I see looking after our rights. The $2.5 million liability insurance doesn't hurt either.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Good idea in Canada join MAAC, good outfit all across Canada. They also have reasonable lobbying expertise. Maybe we can have some input when Transport Canada proposes the new drone law!!!!

AMA insurance is for sanctioned events only. Not everyday, everywhere flying. But they do advocate safety and are trying to keep the FAA regs to a minimum. But it is the idiots that brag how high they flew, and what bridge etc. they flew under. Always a few have to ruin it for everyone else

Reactions: Brad Pierce
So since my family has a significant chunk of farmland to fly over does that mean that you'd want me to only fly at AMA sanctioned sites also? Not going to happen. Not much for these hobby drone photographers to shoot only filming at flying fields.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Although this is certainly an important topic, is it in the right forum? This is Phantom 3 Discussion. Perhaps the General Discussion or News section would be more appropriate.

This is the location I come to read and share Phantom 3 experiences, advice and other topics that specifically relate to this particular quadcopter.

Our forum has had quite a few threads lately that have veered off topic and became more about guidelines, politics, regulation, etc. These are really important topics but don't relate directly and only to the Phantom 3.

Thanks!
Chris

Two things need to happen... 1) news coverage will die down as drones become more mainstream. When that happens, these things won't be so much of an issue and 2) people who fly drones in a reckless manner need to be fined. The FAA needs to start hitting these people up for money and they need to get that in to the news. Then people who fly will understand its not the wild, wild, west.

On a side note, we will also start to move into a time when drones are put to good use. Delivering floats to people droning, delivering medical supplies, search and rescue, etc.

The news people will be authorized by the FAA to fly. The non commercial people will not be. So I think the news people will continue to show any accidents by non authorized operators.
The commercial operators hope that the FAA regulates the hell out of the non com. pilots. that will ensure less competition.
The commercial operators will do due diligence to not have any accidents, as they will have to answer to the FAA for there mistakes.
The non com. operators seem to have the attitude that most anything goes. Those are the operators that the FAA will come down hard on and make it public.

I agree uav's are going to be invaluable to many industry's. Great for commercial operators! Jobs!

Reactions: dirtdummy
You made the mistake of watching the local news (or any news for that matter); you have lost 10 IQ points.

I'm sure the person who got hit had a nasty little scratch. Oh the humanity! News at 11.

LOL I only watch the local news when the wife puts it on. Otherwise I can't stand it. I prefer not to have my brain sucked out of my head. And because I fly models, whenever accidents are on the news, friends and fam will text me! LOLOL

I've seen 1000lb moving rigs over people at event with performers on them. It seems WAY less safe than a quad that weighs a few pounds.

Actually all that rigging is done by trained professional riggers. they usually are union workers that have rigging insurance and businesses that do only that. The safety standards in rigging are strict and the methods used are standardized and methodical. I would believe that OSHA and other federal departments have inspectors and sign off on all the rigging that is done. Probably required by the insurance companies. Thats a good question, I have a friend who does pro rigging for large venue's, next time I see him I'll ask about it.
A novice with an UAV is not vested like the pro riggers that do those kind of shows...

AMA insurance is for sanctioned events only. Not everyday, everywhere flying. But they do advocate safety and are trying to keep the FAA regs to a minimum. But it is the idiots that brag how high they flew, and what bridge etc. they flew under. Always a few have to ruin it for everyone else

Actually, the AMA insurance follows the member. It's not just at sanctioned events.
an excerpt from the insurance doc at http://www.modelaviation.com/

The AMA Liability Protection applies to bodily injury or property
damage caused by an AMA member. It applies to accidents arising from
the modeling activities of model aircraft, rockets, cars, and boats, in
accordance with the AMA safety code(s)
The “per occurrence” limit of coverage available by this policy
is $2,500,000 for claims involving bodily injury and/or property
damage. These limits are for claims occurring during the policy
period. Coverage is provided only for accidents arising from the
model activities.

You must adhere to the safety guidelines to have a successful claim.

Reactions: Tom Donnelly
So since my family has a significant chunk of farmland to fly over does that mean that you'd want me to only fly at AMA sanctioned sites also? Not going to happen. Not much for these hobby drone photographers to shoot only filming at flying fields.

hey App,
If it were up to the operators, I think they would say "fly just about anywhere". If it comes to the government telling you where you can fly. I think you get the idea.
The AMA does not tell you where you can fly. They only setup safety guidelines for us to follow.
The government (FAA) does tell you where you can fly (NAS=National Air Space for full scale aircraft,BTW the NTSB deemed UAV's "Aircraft" and not "model aircraft") It also tells you many other things, currency, FAR's, Airspace, Airframes, Airworthiness, Certification, on and on....
I'd prefer to be "self regulated" , wouldn't you?

You made the mistake of watching the local news (or any news for that matter); you have lost 10 IQ points.

I'm sure the person who got hit had a nasty little scratch. Oh the humanity! News at 11.

The person who was hit was texting/tweeting and totally unaware of what was going on around him.
I'm making that up, but that's very believable, huh?

I think I lost a lot more than 10 IQ points a long time ago. I yell at the TV! LOL

Although this is certainly an important topic, is it in the right forum? This is Phantom 3 Discussion. Perhaps the General Discussion or News section would be more appropriate.

This is the location I come to read and share Phantom 3 experiences, advice and other topics that specifically relate to this particular quadcopter.

Our forum has had quite a few threads lately that have veered off topic and became more about guidelines, politics, regulation, etc. These are really important topics but don't relate directly and only to the Phantom 3.

Thanks!
Chris

Thank you Chris. I'm a bit new at this forum. Apologies. You're absolutely correct.

I'd prefer to be "self regulated" , wouldn't you?
Definitely, and it would be hard to enforce anything on something you can buy at Best Buy. My opinion is that drones will be largely unenforceable, like many things go outside of the city and you'll pretty much be able to do as you please.

Definitely, and it would be hard to enforce anything on something you can buy at Best Buy. My opinion is that drones will be largely unenforceable, like many things go outside of the city and you'll pretty much be able to do as you please.
I have a friend associated with the FAA... Iv always asked, How the heck with the FAA enforce all this stuff? Basically they don't have the man power to do such a thing. It will be a hit or miss thing. Some with feel the wrath, most won't. Just like the full scale owners and pilots. You never know when you land if the FAA will be there doing a ramp check. If they are you want all your T's to be crossed. The attorney's on the other hand will happily step up to plate though! On a case by case basis!

Just a bump on the AMA insurance following the "member". It's not only for sanctioned events. It covers me anywhere, as long as I'm following the safety guidelines when flying. That alone is worth the $35 bucks a year for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues