UAV pilots to help themselves

Reaction score
Just a thought with regard to a post a few days back when a pilot, in a public park was verbally 'abused' by a couple of dig walkers about 'surviallnce' in a public place.

Maybe an idea to help mitigate any issues with members of the public would be to buy a small plastic, self standing sign(s) that the pilot could place strategically at entrances to public places, warning them of 'UAVs flying above' or something like that.

Maybe another sign 'granted land owner permission' for when pilots use private land (with prior permission of course), so if anyone has issues etc etc, they see the sign first...so it gives the impression of the pilot credibility and not just a peeping tom.

I see them on ebay. Just an idea.

And don't use the word drone or UAV for your P3, as to the general public this conjures up a Predator drone, hellfire missiles. PRAS (remote piloted aircraft system) seems more professional, more grown up and might help the public to understand our hobby a bit more.

Reactions: Quadcopter102
Metal Detector enthusiasts have a similar issue's they seem to find standing out works well to keep loonies at bay.
The Vest's the Construction Workers wear work well, with proper wording on the back.
The signs as you say work well.
Problem is no matter what a few will slip in. At that point it's how you handle you're self.

Reactions: nickyb
These people wind me up - they say nothing about satellites and cctv cameras everywhere - they say nothing about GCHQ spying on all our emails and phone calls - but they whinge about someone flying for fun!!!

Cell Phones - Personal Cameras -Google Maps

Thanks BTW for my new word of the day. Whinge ...... My Bride will know the word but it's a first for me.

whinge
(h)winj/
BRITISHinformal
verb
  1. 1.
    complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.
    "stop whingeing and get on with it!"
noun
  1. 1.
    an act of complaining.

Lol my future bride speaks like a Brit now - she lives in Kansas - absolute middle of nowhere - drive for 200 miles in any direction and it all looks the same. Her idea of a city is 200 people!
Mind you I do envy the wide open spaces - could turn an airbus into a drone wouldn't matter!

Just a thought with regard to a post a few days back when a pilot, in a public park was verbally 'abused' by a couple of dig walkers about 'surviallnce' in a public place.

Maybe an idea to help mitigate any issues with members of the public would be to buy a small plastic, self standing sign(s) that the pilot could place strategically at entrances to public places, warning them of 'UAVs flying above' or something like that.

Maybe another sign 'granted land owner permission' for when pilots use private land (with prior permission of course), so if anyone has issues etc etc, they see the sign first...so it gives the impression of the pilot credibility and not just a peeping tom.

I see them on ebay. Just an idea.

And don't use the word drone or UAV for your P3, as to the general public this conjures up a Predator drone, hellfire missiles. PRAS (remote piloted aircraft system) seems more professional, more grown up and might help the public to understand our hobby a bit more.

In addition the sign should contain this, or a similar, disclaimer:
"This toy I'm flying is subject to malfunction without redundancy so be prepared at all times for an incident in which I may lose control of this toy and cannot guarantee your safety, your childs safety, or your property from damge".

In addition the sign should contain this, or a similar, disclaimer:
"This toy I'm flying is subject to malfunction without redundancy so be prepared at all times for an incident in which I may lose control of this toy and cannot guarantee your safety, your childs safety, or your property from damge".

I wish you wouldn't call it a toy. It is far more than that! Would you give this to a small child?

I have respect for my many uav's and most the pilots out there, but for all respectful purposes,these are toys!!

3 years ago they would have been cutting edge top secret military hardware!!!
Funny how people take so much for granted.
Yes they can be used as toys. They also have many commercial applications. Inspecting a roof or high buildings. Checking powerlines - checking building sites - mapping - finding channels amongst reefs at sea .
Just because some people use them as toys doesn't mean everyone does!
I

I think we have to thank the News for all the sensationalism. They need new things in the face of the public. Drugs, guns, drunk drivers and things just don't cut it anymore. There are also way to many people flying the quadcopters that are not using their heads when flying, how, where, when putting people and properly at risk! They make the rest of us look bad when we are all under the microscope. I see too many people post their record flights etc...and questionable flying vids and others praising them for there actions on these forums when we should be condoning them.

Sorry if I burst your bubble but it is a toy.

Yes I would give it to a small child. Size or age is not as critical as skill, dexterity, and level of instruction.

My child of 12 is quite proficient at operating his P2NV.

I have to agree with "dirtybum" - I love my drone, UAV, quadcopter, or whatever you want to call it, but I consider it a toy as well. I play with it, sure, just like my kids play with their toys. It is dangerous, but I think my children also have toys that can be dangerous as well.

And my children (6 & 8) do play with my P3P. I'm always there, right next to them. I allow them the enjoyment of flying it in large, wide open areas when there are no obstacles or people around. They love taking "selfies" from 50' above!

Jimmy

Last edited:
Yesterday I had a guy tell me I'm not allowed to fly my P3 in the park (UK) he kept saying its illegal and not allowed to in the UK.

My P3 was literally 10m high and 10ft away from me.

He said your in a public park and that CAA states your not allowed to, I completely switched at the guy (I was having a bad day and if I saw the guy I would probably apologise and tell him I took out the frustration on him) and said to him to show me where it said on CAA I cant fly in a public park, he said there are kids and people about, every kid and adult that was there was actually my family, my wife, my children, my brothers and sisters (atleast 10 to 15 of us) no one else was there and I mean no one else.

I had it hovering and recording them while they were playing 'it' and running around.

I said I'm recording my family playing and what his problem was, I said show me where CAA said I can't use my P3 to record my own family.

He kept refering the P3 as a drone and I kept correcting him saying its a Quadcopter.

Luckily he was on the other side of the barrier, knowing me I probably would of lunged at him, I feel bad for having a rant at him and should of kept calm, if I ever find him on the street would probably offer him a drink and apology.

P.S would not have flown if there were other children around but again I was not flying above my family but kept the P3 on a corner so I could take the video of the bit were we were.

Last edited:
Yesterday I had a guy tell me I'm not allowed to fly my P3 in the park (UK) he kept saying its illegal and not allowed to in the UK.

My P3 was literally 10m high and 10ft away from me.

He said your in a public park and that CAA states your not allowed to, I completely switched at the guy (I was having a bad day and if I saw the guy I would probably apologise and tell him I took out the frustration on him) and said to him to show me where it said on CAA I cant fly in a public park, he said there are kids and people about, every kid and adult that was there was actually my family, my wife, my children, my brothers and sisters (atleast 10 to 15 of us) no one else was there and I mean no one else.

I had it hovering and recording them while they were playing 'it' and running around.

I said I'm recording my family playing and what his problem was, I said show me where CAA said I can't use my P3 to record my own family.

He kept refering the P3 as a drone and I kept correcting him saying its a Quadcopter.
If it had been a RC electric helicopter he would not have had a problem I guess. The press are mostly to blame for this situation, joe public likes to make an issue of most things these days.

Might be an idea to print off the Air Navigation Order from the CAA website, keep it handy and show those who have an issue, keeping in mind that your not within specific distances to structures etc as laid down by the CAA/FAA. Good luck with your flying.

Sorry if I burst your bubble but it is a toy.

Yes I would give it to a small child. Size or age is not as critical as skill, dexterity, and level of instruction.

My child of 12 is quite proficient at operating his P2NV.
Wow now this is quite funny to me to see these comments by the UAV policeman!! Certainly this person is quick to be critical of anyone flying outside what he believes are safe flying practices but he suggests giving the same device to a child is acceptable!! Wow now I have seen it all

If it had been a RC electric helicopter he would not have had a problem I guess. The press are mostly to blame for this situation, joe public likes to make an issue of most things these days.

Might be an idea to print off the Air Navigation Order from the CAA website, keep it handy and show those who have an issue, keeping in mind that your not within specific distances to structures etc as laid down by the CAA/FAA. Good luck with your flying.

Was definately not next to any building or structures.

Will do, thank you

This maybe true nickyb.

I used to fly elecric CP-helis in local parks and no one ever cared or took interest.

Not the same for the Phantom.

As far as the Press... if these incidents we hear about never occurred then they would not be reported by the Press.

You don't hear about 'other' types of r/c aircraft crashing, interfereing with fire fighting, etc. because they are flown in designated areas by people who understand the dangers and limitations of the equipment.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164