UAV pilots to help themselves

Oh and I must add I never called this a toy and really I do not see it as a toy but really do not care what Simone calls my p3 it's fun I was responding to another person who is adamant that it is in fact a toy and nothing more

True - but who categories something as a toy? The manufacturer or consumer? Your toy boats were sold as toy boats. The phantom has never been classified as a toy. Your personal opinion is that it is a toy because it is too easy to fly and that others less competent than yourself can fly them.

I wonder if you still double declutch your car, or insist in no engine management system? Are you still using a box brownie, or a DSLR?

Anyone who can afford to use a £1200 quadcopter as a disposable toy has money to waste.

Why is it disposable? Is it more disposable than a Ski boat, camper, motorcycle, snowmobile, skis/boots/season pass/accessories, sports car, golf clubs/membership, or home theater? All are often referred to as toy's. "Big Boys don't grow up, they just get bigger and faster toys" or "The Bigger The Boy, The Bigger The Toy" are popular bumper stickers.
My RC flyers, whether fixed wings or drones are my toys.

But if I was a professional photographer or surveyor, my quads would be my tools.
But we shouldn't care or be offended if one of us calls it either a toy or a something more professional sounding. It is what it is, and mostly defined by how we as individuals, utilize it.

It makes me feel like a kid whenever I fly, and exercises my imagination. For me, that defines it as a toy.

But if I was a professional photographer or surveyor, my quads would be my tools.
But we shouldn't care or be offended if one of us calls it either a toy or a something more professional sounding. It is what it is, and mostly defined by how we as individuals, utilize it.

It makes me feel like a kid whenever I fly, and exercises my imagination. For me, that defines it as a toy.

People say the same to me when they see my photography gear... "Oh, it's just a bunch of toys...". NO, IT'S NOT! Even though my photography is not my full-time job, I consider my gear "tools", like you said. I'm REALLY trying to make them my full-time tools, as I'm sure some quad owners do. A lot of aerial shots you see on TV are done by quads now. But are they toys? Nope... I finally got full media credentials at the NASCAR race this weekend in New Hampshire, so I'll take my "toys" with me... lol... Sucks that I can't fly though...

I wish people would spend as much time having fun with what they have, than criticizing others for what they have...

:)

This seems to have 'blossomed' due possibly, in part, to my description of the Phantom I own as a toy in a couple of threads.

A poster told me to stop calling it that.

That's the only critique I noticed, but I haven't and won't review the thread to see if that's the case.

I love my toy Phantoms.

This seems to have 'blossomed' due possibly, in part, to my description of the Phantom I own as a toy in a couple of threads.

A poster told me to stop calling it that.

That's the only critique I noticed, but I haven't and won't review the thread to see if that's the case.

I love my toy Phantoms.

As long as you're having fun with it, screw everyone else... :)

I stand by my original objection - saying 'I play with my Phantom as a big boys toy' is miles away from saying 'The Phantom is a toy'. GoodnNuff, I believe you have said both of these, maybe paraphrased. I'm only arguing against the second statement. As for the first - play away to your heart's content [emoji452]

It's so totally a toy. It serves no real purpose, it's something unnecessary, and its fun, like a toy.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443524270.687330.jpg

Reactions: JustinJ
Hmmm.... Interesting. We have some in their 40 others in 50 and a bunch in their 60's . Are they using in in business No... Are they just playing with it and flying taking pictures and video at random. Hmm. Guess I'll call it a man toy! Do I supervise my grandson flying who plays video games and can control Xbox and all that stuff. Can the kids today outfly and inter react faster than their parents. Yep that's the mellinem and x- gen kids. New technology and the kids today Wow!!! Seems like a toy to me!

Some people use theirs as toys, and some use them as business equipment. Personally, I've flown my for pleasure about five times out of hundreds of flights, so I consider it mostly a tool.

Reactions: Man.Of.Kent
Some people use theirs as toys, and some use them as business equipment. Personally, I've flown my for pleasure about five times out of hundreds of flights, so I consider it mostly a tool.
I've got no interest in flying mine. I'm learning how to control and position it so I can use the camera. For me it's a flying tripod.

Reactions: Vanjo Grale
I've got no interest in flying mine. I'm learning how to control and position it so I can use the camera. For me it's a flying tripod.

Yep, pretty much - I'm actually scared to have fun with it as if I'm going to crash, it had better be while I'm on the job! My x5c is my toy. Kid and dog love chasing it, and I can crash all I want with no worries.

I will be using mine professionally also..

I do not consider the P3P as a toy in any way - although I will have a lot of fun flying it!

So I guess I get the best of both worlds..

Everything I buy for the P3P (inc the P3P) is legitimately tax deductible @ 20% (that means I have saved 20% off the price (& off any / all peripherals I also buy) compared to any "recreational user"..

I will also thoroughly enjoy mastering the control (to a very great degree of accuracy) to capture the photos & videos required for my clients.

So I will get paid to do some (essential) planning, paperwork, drive to a location, fly the P3P (aka "work" !? - with greater freedom than a "recreational user"), then go home & organise what I have captured for the client (still getting paid!)

Oh & I can do this "work" as & when I like & really really enjoy myself in the process - just flying this so called "toy"!?

So personally, I don't give two hoots what people call their own P3.. or what they do with it.. as it doesn't make any difference to me or the clients I have in waiting to employ my services. As I'm an outdoors person, (whom has been fortunate enough to do a lot of travelling around the UK & the world already), & whom is looking forward to the destinations I will be going in the future & the people I will be meeting too.

I just hope nobody get injured or killed by the actions of any UAV pilot - no matter how well they utilise this truly amazing gadget!

Many things have many names depending on the perspective. It's only the decision that the term means more than peace that arguments begin.

I stand by my original objection - saying 'I play with my Phantom as a big boys toy' is miles away from saying 'The Phantom is a toy'. GoodnNuff, I believe you have said both of these, maybe paraphrased. I'm only arguing against the second statement. As for the first - play away to your heart's content [emoji452]
The horse is still breathing?

I play with my phantom as a big boy's toy, thus the Phantom is a toy to me. Nuff said.
:p

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443717643.963963.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31