Two pilots, one drone?

Reaction score
I want to fly a new drone that I bought for my son. I crashed his original one, which he had registered with the FAA under his name back in December 2016. Now I want to register the new one so that I can fly it and be in compliance. It is his drone though... so will he be legal to fly this new one? A google search came up empty on this question. TIA

cc

You no longer need to register Phantoms with the FAA when flying as a hobbyist. See more details here.

For recreational operations, you only register once, the same number is for all drones. However, as msinger pointed out, it's no longer required.

I did hear that it is no longer required yet on the FAA website, it seemed like it was required. So annoying. Thanks for answering.

cc

I did hear that it is no longer required yet on the FAA website, it seemed like it was required.
The wording is kind of tricky. This is the important part:

"You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg) and you are not flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft."

If you want to fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, then follow these rules.

Reactions: cut-n-crash

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj