Twitches during flight

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my P4 for a year. Had a few rough landings but nothing major. Nothing has been broken.

Recently I've noticed my drone having twitches during flying. See link for a video from my latest test run.

There was some winds, but not much. As far as I can tell the twitching only occurs when flying against the wind.

It hovers perfectly. No difference when flying in sport/atti mode. Turning on/off the VPS does not impact the twitching.
Forward and backward flying is the same when flying against the wind.

I've calibrated everything that can be calibrated.

Anyone experienced this before?

If you listen closely to the motors you can hear a sharp "whistle" noise. This came after the drone got stuck in a tree. But that happened half a year ago and the twitching only appeared recently. Could it be a damaged motor?

Possibly a motor, does one feel hotter than the others immediately upon landing? I would suggest trying a new set of props first and see if that is the problem, you may have a twisted propeller or one that is nicked.

Reactions: DocDiggler
Possibly a motor, does one feel hotter than the others immediately upon landing? I would suggest trying a new set of props first and see if that is the problem, you may have a twisted propeller or one that is nicked.

I have two propeller sets, same behavior with both sets.

I'll check for heat differences next flight.

Also try spinning the motors with the props on and see if they all spin freely with the same "feel", also check all the prop mounts to make sure one is not loose.

Reactions: DocDiggler
I have just started to experience the same thing, my drone is like new just so happens to had the update then noticed these twitches happening. Almost seems connected and I was just about to put a post on here to....have you just updated the firmware ?

Hello, I have had this same issue! Just after the update my drone has started twitching whilst hovering and moving. I have had the P4 for over a year and only after this update has the problem arose. I would be very greatful for a solution

Hello, I have had this same issue! Just after the update my drone has started twitching whilst hovering and moving. I have had the P4 for over a year and only after this update has the problem arose. I would be very greatful for a solution
There is currently no solution it's a Firmware issue. Until DJI OFFER A Fix we are all grounded......I'm sick of having a very expensive paperweight on my desk. Taking offers for 6 month P4. I have better things I can waste my money on. Spoke with Dji today online. They must think the people that purchase and fly the P4's are thick !!!!..... I was told to recalibrate the imu and compass.......after I told him I'd tried this 4 times already. My bird is now too unstable and unsafe to fly due to the bloody upgrade its a joke. They have even taken away the option to rollback the firmware.

I had same problem after the firmware update. Rolled it back to previous version and it's flying smoothly again but active track is disabled now. Won't lock on to a target. :-(

I've got the same behaviour of a twitchy flight since updating to the latest firmware also. Is there a way to re-update maybe ?

Same here. posted @ dji forum: P4 Twitching flight after latest firmware

Same question: re-update or downgrade with DJI Assistant 2? Where are the old firmwares? i cannot find firmware archive.

EDIT:
DJI Customer Service told me to recalibrate VPS (Vision Positioning System) with DJI Assistant 2 and it should fix the problem. I will test within 2 days and report back.

EDIT found 3rd party downgrade stuffs:
youtu.be/VTpYaBQ6scE

Last edited:
my report-back: After 2 days of being unable to recalibrate VPS with Win10 & Win7 Virtual Machine (VM), i gave up and DUMLdore'd it to prior firmware. The twitching stopped, but it is less static in the air. it will rise and lower a bit and even shift left/right slightly. i even saw it yaw a slightly. upon controlled lowering altitude, it would want to drop hard. I recalibrate everything and it helped some, but it's not as static (stable) as it was. I assume this is attributed to having to recalibrate with the newer firmware, and maybe something is stuck in it's config; otherwsie maybe it's the controller's firmware. I did not do anything with the controller, i'm unsure if it even could be downgraded. I am considering upgrading it back then trying these suggestions, but i am tired of wasting so much time.

EDIT: my latest Status report: P4 Firmware v02.00.0106 Released (2017-07-06)

Last edited:
This is why so many of us choose to sing the 509 Firmware song, halle lu uh halle lu uh , its a rock stable firmware for the Phantom series drones. May not come with all the bells and whistles but its a great option.

My P4A is now doing the same thing, unstable flight like a bucking horse when flying 15 mph or higher. It is enough at higher speeds to cause noticeable jerks in video, although they appear to be yaw axis jerks from the gimbal. Could be that happens when the gimbal can't compensate enough for the up and down pitch of the aircraft at higher speed. This has ruined some important video. I'm on the current firmware for the Phantom 4 Advanced Plus, whatever that is.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4