Trying to make DIY Goggles - help please!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I love my P3P and have been using it with either a Note 2 or Note 4. I made a homemade sun shield which works good, but I still would prefer goggles of some sort.

So I went online and bought a cheap pair ($15) of virtual goggles that fit my Note 4. First issue is obviously the dual lenses and plastic split down the middle. So I gutted all that out and tried it.

Obviously, my eyes were now too close to see android screen (without lenses), so I tried my 3x reading glasses. Still blurry. Bought 6x glasses from Amazon. STILL blurry, but closer. My next try is 9x glasses.

I thought my idea would work OK, but it's turning out to be a pain trying to make it work!

In hours of searching, I can't find ANY goggles or headsets that will let you view a cell phone up-close. A friend mentioned seeing an ad a while ago that said, "Make your cell phone into a 70" big screen", but unfortunately he lost the link! That sounds like something I would need.

Maybe someone here has made something like I'm mentioning and would share their idea. Or if you have a link to a place that makes something like that.

I know I can't use regular NTSC goggles because they don't have the Android or Apple OS for the DJI app. Although I know there are adapters from android to NTSC, but I was trying to stay away from spending $200 or $300 for those goggles and HOPE an adapter would work.

Anyway, any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

The VR mode should be ready soon (hopefully way less than a month).

We are currently working on implementing a VR mode in Litchi that should do what you're looking for: https://www.facebook.com/flylitchi/...612393652627/1136410419706157/?type=1&theater

So when do you expect to have this online for the P3?

I am very interested. I have been using Gear VR with my Note 4 since the N4 first came out. Have been on the Android Alpha team for the integration of the Leap motion contoller for a few months now. That would be awesome to control your P3 using the Leap motion controller. Wow! Though I do believe that is a bit off in the future, sad.

I did build this for the I-Pad mini. see tread http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/hood-viewer.46739/#post-435418
Its a prototype but its works very well.
I'm searching now for fresnel-lenses who can do the job. Then I can make the construction much more simple.

"Make your cell phone into a 70" big screen"
This is advertisement talk. I don't know of it is optically possible but if you succeed you will see more the individual pixels then a nice image.

And remember; the bigger the screen the more you will see the shortcomings of the imagery of the pilot-app.
The camera gives a blurrier picture then than the map view.

Last edited:
Reactions: jodyberry
Hi all,

I love my P3P and have been using it with either a Note 2 or Note 4. I made a homemade sun shield which works good, but I still would prefer goggles of some sort.

So I went online and bought a cheap pair ($15) of virtual goggles that fit my Note 4. First issue is obviously the dual lenses and plastic split down the middle. So I gutted all that out and tried it.

Obviously, my eyes were now too close to see android screen (without lenses), so I tried my 3x reading glasses. Still blurry. Bought 6x glasses from Amazon. STILL blurry, but closer. My next try is 9x glasses.

I thought my idea would work OK, but it's turning out to be a pain trying to make it work!

In hours of searching, I can't find ANY goggles or headsets that will let you view a cell phone up-close. A friend mentioned seeing an ad a while ago that said, "Make your cell phone into a 70" big screen", but unfortunately he lost the link! That sounds like something I would need.

Maybe someone here has made something like I'm mentioning and would share their idea. Or if you have a link to a place that makes something like that.

I know I can't use regular NTSC goggles because they don't have the Android or Apple OS for the DJI app. Although I know there are adapters from android to NTSC, but I was trying to stay away from spending $200 or $300 for those goggles and HOPE an adapter would work.

Anyway, any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

Do you need the magnification or simply trying to get a good focus on the device? I know the military has essentially a rectangular tube about a foot long that fits on your face used to view video devices. Think I will build one very soon.

"Make your cell phone into a 70" big screen"
This is advertisement talk. I don't know of it is optically possible but if you succeed you will see more the individual pixels then a nice image.

And remember; the bigger the screen the more you will see the shortcomings of the imagery of the pilot-app.
The camera gives a blurrier picture then than the map view.

Yes, I'm not so concerned about the image degrading - I just want to be able to see the screen larger so that I can utilize all the tiny text/icons in the Pilot App. I had the Samsung Gear VR for a short time and you REALLY see the pixels with that! (Although it was a cool device).

I like the idea of Litchi's app having a VR mode soon!

Do you need the magnification or simply trying to get a good focus on the device? I know the military has essentially a rectangular tube about a foot long that fits on your face used to view video devices. Think I will build one very soon.

Yea, we built what sounds similar to the military box you mentioned, but without optics it makes the image too far away!!

I you use magnification the viewing tube can be shorter and the view will be wider.
With my viewer: two +3 viewing glasses. Distance lenses to the screen around 20cm in order to focus.
Projected screen size (estimated) 12 inches across.

That's only for autonomous flight modes, vr doesn't need this firmware

That's only for autonomous flight modes, vr doesn't need this firmware

Ah I see. Ready to go with your app and the P3 then, or still in Beta? ETA on release date?

Also, any reports of FPV lag with your app?

Just started watching the demo on FB actually...looks like you have given the option to bypass Google Play Services for the device mapping...I like it already.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ah I see. Ready to go with your app and the P3 then, or still in Beta? ETA on release date?

Also, any reports of FPV lag with your app?

Just started watching the demo on FB actually...looks like you have given the option to bypass Google Play Services for the device mapping...I like it already.
The app is not ready yet, hopefully FPV/VR modes should be ready within 2 to 3 weeks. Haven't had any fpv lag reports so far. And no you cannot bypass Google Play services for the map, not sure where you saw that?

The app is not ready yet, hopefully FPV/VR modes should be ready within 2 to 3 weeks. Haven't had any fpv lag reports so far. And no you cannot bypass Google Play services for the map, not sure where you saw that?

Ah ok, I misunderstood what "Mobile Device Location Service"=Google/Android meant.

Great, I'll have a look-see in a couple of weeks then.

Looked promising. Installed the alpha on my Samsung Tab S, fired up the RC and drone. Was forced to upgrade Google Play Services (which I'd previously downgraded because of issues with the DJI Pilot app).But OK, fine. Started the app and got the FPV feed. CPU flatlines > 95% CPU Temp goes from 40C to 90C. Tablet heats up in my hands. Killed and uninstalled app. Didn't bother test flying it as it would have eventually shut down the tablet through overheating.

Seems it's more resource hungry than even the DJI Pilot app is.

Sounds like yet another issue with Google Play services. I'm not seeing this problem on a Note 4 or Nvidia Shield.
The reason why we added an option to switch between Google Play services and the base Android location service was because of it causing lag with the video preview (we now even have Android as default now).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31