Trouble Removing The Battery?

Reaction score
Anyone else finding that pulling out the battery gets harder each time you swap them in and out? It's gotten to the point now it take about 5 to 10 minutes of slow, painful prying and pulling on it until it finally squeaks out a bit and I can just casually pull it the rest of the way out.

That has not been my experience it is firm but takes only 5 seconds to remove pushing in the grooved clips fully and pulling straight back. With either vision or vision plus there was never any time required to remove but it does take a strong force to remove.

phantompanic said:
Anyone else finding that pulling out the battery gets harder each time you swap them in and out? It's gotten to the point now it take about 5 to 10 minutes of slow, painful prying and pulling on it until it finally squeaks out a bit and I can just casually pull it the rest of the way out.

I think the battery might expand a bit after a flight and make it a bit harder to pull out?
They can be pretty tight for sure.

Yes having the same concern they say to put a little silicone spray on the tracks where the battery slides in I have not tried it but this may help

I have the same issue- lost part of a fingernail trying to get some grip on the battery without straining any surrounding parts

Avenger44 said:
Yes having the same concern they say to put a little silicone spray on the tracks where the battery slides in I have not tried it but this may help

The information where to put the lube is incorrect, battery do not touch the rubber strips!
On the two sides of the battery there is a small grove (maybe 15mm long) that acts as a guide for the battery-pack, that is where you put the lube.
Works like a charm. :)

Reactions: David Bruce Kerr
I actually like the idea of the jammed battery... feels like it's really in there and may not bump out in the event of an impact or vibration... I have developed I bit of a leverage technique with both wrists against the motor arms and it's a tough pull but nothing so bad that it holds me up.

My batteries (2) have always been very difficult to remove. They are quite tight when installing, after the electric contacts begin to seat. It takes much effort to get the battery to move when trying to extract, and is difficult until the electric contacts clear their seats. Not sure just where the tightness is.

Birdman said:
My batteries (2) have always been very difficult to remove. They are quite tight when installing, after the electric contacts begin to seat. It takes much effort to get the battery to move when trying to extract, and is difficult until the electric contacts clear their seats. Not sure just where the tightness is.

I too thought it was the contacts that makes it hard to remove, but I don't think so, now. If you watch the battery go in, the upper part of the compartment, in the center, has a thin projection that the top of the battery latch catches behind. Even after releasing the latches, that projection still makes contact with the smooth, flat part of the battery. Because it's thin, I think it may be binding by trying to follow the battery, out. At least, that's the way it looks to me.

PhilAnderson said:
Birdman said:

I too thought it was the contacts that makes it hard to remove, but I don't think so, now. If you watch the battery go in, the upper part of the compartment, in the center, has a thin projection that the top of the battery latch catches behind. Even after releasing the latches, that projection still makes contact with the smooth, flat part of the battery. Because it's thin, I think it may be binding by trying to follow the battery, out. At least, that's the way it looks to me.

Yes, I've noticed that also.And I think you're right.

This issue is very common and has been reported by others in other treads.

I investigated this issue because I also had a VERY DIFFICULT TIME getting the batteries out. I found the problem to be the detent at the base of the battery.

See the attached photo.

At the end of the battery that goes into the Phantom first, there is a detent that makes contact with a corresponding detent when the battery is about .5 inches from being fully installed. This detent is what causes the final resistance to installing the battery, as well as provides the resistance to removing the battery.

If you look closely at the groove just beyond the detent, you will see small bits of plastic in the photo that has been abraded away and score marks on the detent itself. This detent seems too tight. After repeated installations, the detent will wear down and the installation becomes easier. Clean away any debris in the groove and A VERY SMALL amount of lubricant right on this detent will help ease installation and removal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,687
I also have had increasing difficulty removing the batteries. I first thought that it might be the batteries swelling after 8 flights but upon cold measurement they were both within 0.010" of each other in height, about 1.450" high or (top to bottom thickness) as battery is aligned for inserting. The battery surface is flat on top and bottom, the fit to the Phantom 2 body compartment is created by four top tabs (fins) and four bottom tabs (fins) looking at the phantom from behind the battery the fins on the right are about 1.60" apart so there is 0.010 clearance with the battery hight (thickness) the sets on the left or battery contact side are about 1.400" or 0.050 under size so there is a 0.050 press fit.

Before I altered the press fit I wanted to be sure that there was not another issue. I used some dielectric grease on the battery slots and the male connectors in the body. It made a very minor change...still really difficult to remove and tight final 1/2 inch when inserting. I then filed the left side top fins down about 0.020" without much improvement at all. Before going further I noticed that there are two gray strips of material on the left and right floor of the battery compartment. I applied some spray dry teflon lube to these gray rails wiped out any over spray and instant decrease to the force required to remove the battery. I tested two different batteries about five times each and the fix held. This might be something that needs a q-tip whip with lube every now and then.

My batteries were getting so difficult to remove I thought I was going to damage the phantom body with how hard I had to grip it to separate the battery from the compartment. The fit is still very snug going in and initially pulling it out but far less force is required to remove.

Hope it helps.

Best
pogo

As one other poster mentioned, I also developed a "two handed" technique, with both thumbs pressing down and pulling straight out. Using this technique is way less annoying.

BTW, I had also tried the di-electric lube, with not much difference.

This issue is very common and has been reported by others in other treads.

I investigated this issue because I also had a VERY DIFFICULT TIME getting the batteries out. I found the problem to be the detent at the base of the battery.

See the attached photo.

At the end of the battery that goes into the Phantom first, there is a detent that makes contact with a corresponding detent when the battery is about .5 inches from being fully installed. This detent is what causes the final resistance to installing the battery, as well as provides the resistance to removing the battery.

If you look closely at the groove just beyond the detent, you will see small bits of plastic in the photo that has been abraded away and score marks on the detent itself. This detent seems too tight. After repeated installations, the detent will wear down and the installation becomes easier. Clean away any debris in the groove and A VERY SMALL amount of lubricant right on this detent will help ease installation and removal.
Thanks for the remedy of a hard to remove battery. I did look and found the debris in the track of the battery. I smoothed it with small files and fine sand paper, then used silicon spray and the batter did not bind as I remove it. Thanks for the post

I suddenly developed this problem for the first time this past week. Flew 33 flights this week at a VERY dusty (cement dust and ash) site and found the battery binding became worse after each flight, until the battery was almost impossible to remove. I wiped off the batteries and applied a thin coating of Vaseline in the small slots at the bottom end of the battery, after which they slid in and out with much less effort.

Hi there, check out this link to YouTube for how to remove a battery the easy way. I use this method all the time and once you get the hang of it you are good to go.
Good luck. Regards Ian.

I surely don't suggest this but what I ended up doing was fitting a small standard screwdriver tip between the battery and the body of the drone. A little twist and it was out. Did this out of frustration.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl