Triple bladed propellers

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I'm not entirely new to drones, but I have a question regarding fitting 3 bladed propellers to a P3A
Has anybody tried them?

Did they add any speed, particularly an increase in height speed?

Did they maintain the drone's stability?

Did they decrease flight time?

Best regards,

I have a question regarding fitting 3 bladed propellers to a P3A
Has anybody tried them?
Lots of people
No appreciable improvement of flight performance.
Low quality props can cause serious problems, 3-bladed props can be harder to balance.
DJI engineers put a lot of effort into designing a tuned propulsion system with matched motors, ESCs and props.
Slapping on some aftermarket prop isn't likely to give a significant improvement.

I'm not entirely new to drones, but I have a question regarding fitting 3 bladed propellers to a P3A
Has anybody tried them?
You'll find lots of threads on that topic if you search here.

I don't recommend anyone use them. OEM DJI props were designed for the Phantom and work very well.

Speed is controlled not by prop but by Flight Controller. The 6 axis system will monitor and adjust ... so there is no real benefit.

Why should they do any different - again this is all down to Flight Controller which adjusts motors rpm to achieve speed / direction / stability based on the inputs it receives.

Unless you adjust prop diameter / pitch to match the OEM props thrust etc. ... if you use similar diameter / pitch - they will most like reduce flight time due the greater effort to get three blades 'cutting through' the air. The reduced RPM of motor will likely drop motor into a less efficient RPM range ..

As others have said - the OEM props have been designed for best compromise ...

As has been said, the power train in the drone is a balanced system, ESC, motor and propeller all being calculated to produce optimum performance.

Most noise from a propeller is generated at the tips so one advantage of a three bladed prop is that they are quieter at the same thrust as they not only rotate slower but are also a smaller diameter thus greatly reducing the tip velocity.

As has been said, the power train in the drone is a balanced system, ESC, motor and propeller all being calculated to produce optimum performance.

Most noise from a propeller is generated at the tips so one advantage of a three bladed prop is that they are quieter at the same thrust as they not only rotate slower but are also a smaller diameter thus greatly reducing the tip velocity.

The system comment - yes absolutely as I mentioned earlier. The Flight Controller takes the Pilots command and interprets to control motors ... speed / height etc. are all subject to programmed limits.

But on the subject of noise of props ... the blade shape actually determines most of the noise ... I agree that tips can and do go literally supersonic to create noise ... but in reality - the shape of blade is the major factor.
A 3 blader does not automatically add 50% thrust or performance ... in fact if porrly chosen - can be same or less than a 2 blader. A well chosen 3 blader will usually add about 20 - 30% thrust only. Its evident when thrust testing models and you find that the generally accepted guideline of -1 on diameter or -1 on pitch actually does not yield expected results. It is not unusual to find similar size 3 blader as a 2blader on the low to moderate KV motors.

Thanks to you all.

It's been quite interesting reading about a prop's aerodynamics.

It's also interesting that Spitfire's were given a 3 bladed prop in early 1940 (as the Mark II), which allowed them to climb faster, although the blade was two-pitched.

I seem to remember my father (he used to be a RAAF pilot) saying the 3 blades continued until the aircraft finally retired.

Regards to all and take care during the holiday break.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.