Traveling to Charlotte NC Nov 2nd for the fall colors.

Reaction score
Does anyone know of some great spots to fly for fall colors in the Charlotte NC area? I would like to keep my travels to within 3 to 4 hours of the city.

On the 4th I'll be heading back to FL, so any spots in SC might work as well, it depends a lot on when the leaves actually start changing.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

I don't particularly know the Charlotte area, but you may be in luck. Reports from the western NC area say the colors are about 7 to 10 days later than expected. I'll be in Asheville starting Nov. 5. Maybe I'll catch the tail end along the BRP.

I'm currently in Western NC right now and the colors are just now starting to show. The problem is with the extreme dryness the change will be fairly quick.

We're about 2 1/2 hours (depending on traffic) and the mountain views are spectacular to say the least.

I'm currently in Western NC right now and the colors are just now starting to show. The problem is with the extreme dryness the change will be fairly quick.

We're about 2 1/2 hours (depending on traffic) and the mountain views are spectacular to say the least.

Do you have any favorite spots to fly with good views?

Coming home (sw FL) I may go 85 through SC then cut across east of Atlanta. That should cover me on at least some decent areas in full color still if the leaf drop happens fast.
Forget Charlotte if you are that close to the Smokies. Pine tree don't have much color.
The friend I'm visiting is surrounded by trees that change, mostly oak. He's on the north side of the city. Im happy to drive a few hours away to get some shots though, just look for some specific places that are legal and accessible.

Coming home (sw FL) I may go 85 through SC then cut across east of Atlanta. That should cover me on at least some decent areas in full color still if the leaf drop happens fast.

Honestly anywhere up through here is pretty amazing this time of year.

We are along I-40 so if you're going South you'll be missing this area but I'm sure there are many areas along your route that will offer great photo opportunities.

The friend I'm visiting is surrounded by trees that change, mostly oak. He's on the north side of the city. Im happy to drive a few hours away to get some shots though, just look for some specific places that are legal and accessible.
Oak tree are mainly brown. Maples are red, orange and a few yellow. Western NC. is a mix deciduous forest. The difference is like mono sound and old tube color TV. to stereo sound to 4K digital color. The mountains give a good 3 D affect. When my friend came up from Tice, FL. he went crazy picking up almost any leaf. Sorta like a snow bird collecting sea shells.

I was a resident of Florida for 20 years. I understand where you are coming from.
Florida surprisingly has some decent color in the hardwood forest of the swamps.

Reactions: BigAl07
Oak tree are mainly brown. Maples are red, orange and a few yellow. Western NC. is a mix deciduous forest. The difference is like mono sound and old tube color TV. to stereo sound to 4K digital color. The mountains give a good 3 D affect. When my friend came up from Tice, FL. he went crazy picking up almost any leaf. Sorta like a snow bird collecting sea shells.

I was a resident of Florida for 20 years. I understand where you are coming from.
Florida surprisingly has some decent color in the hardwood forest of the swamps.
I get it. I'm back in FL now, but I spent 15 years in VA with many trips through the mountians from northern PA to GA.

This is just the trip I get and I'm trying to make the most of it.

I get it. I'm back in FL now, but I spent 15 years in VA with many trips through the mountians from northern PA to GA.

This is just the trip I get and I'm trying to make the most of it.

With the cold snap we are in (first frost this morning) the colors should come on pretty quick now. We just don't want heavy rains or high winds for the next couple of weeks or they will POOF in the blink of an eye.

With the cold snap we are in (first frost this morning) the colors should come on pretty quick now. We just don't want heavy rains or high winds for the next couple of weeks or they will POOF in the blink of an eye.
Yeah. And a tropical storm hitting the FL panhandle tomorrow. Hopefully it exits straight east.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers