Traveling with drones - Please SHARE your experience to help others

Reaction score
Guys, as i see many of us are kinda lost regarding to traveling with our drones. Since i did not found any good sheet regarding to this i created a sub page on my website. Drone owners like us can easily check and filter departure and arrival and check if anything to worry about or we should be aware before our trip.

Easy to search for almost everything, and also regulation files are available to upload.

» Drone Airplane Regulations and Tips

To avoid any spam flood the submissions will be reviewed within 12-24 hours, but after time this can be incredible handy for all of us. If you have any experience please share with us.

If you see someone already posted similar departure/arrival country, dont worry... duplication is not a problem. At least we can be sure that most of the travelers had the same experience with the security or regulations.

Thank you!

I flew with my Phantom 3 pro to Las Vegas from Atlanta last summer and had no issues. The FAA has regulations about Lipo batteries that they must be in your carry on and not installed in the device. I have all 3 of my batteries in a flame-resistant pound in my drone case. A few websites suggested draining the batteries a little bit as well, so I did that, but didn't see anywhere that suggested that you have to do that.

Security stopped in Atlanta and swabbed the batteries with their explosive residue tests, and then sent me on my way. Vegas security said nothing on my way back home.

It was much easier than I anticipated. As long as you follow the FAA's rules about batteries, you should be fine.

Flew from San Francisco to Maui this past May. I brought my Mavic with me. Carried the Mavic with all my photography gear (GoPro, DSLR, etc) in a lowepro back-pack. Kept all my batteries in lipo bags. Went through security at both airports (inbound / outbound) with no issues. Went through the baggage x-ray and no questions asked.

This was my first time flying with my drone and did not expect such a smooth time. I expected my bag to be opened at least for a search but nothing.

Flew from San Francisco to Maui this past May. I brought my Mavic with me. Carried the Mavic with all my photography gear (GoPro, DSLR, etc) in a lowepro back-pack. Kept all my batteries in lipo bags. Went through security at both airports (inbound / outbound) with no issues. Went through the baggage x-ray and no questions asked.

This was my first time flying with my drone and did not expect such a smooth time. I expected my bag to be opened at least for a search but nothing.

Thanks, added to our » Drone Airplane Regulations and Tips site.

Traveled from Rhode Island to tampa Florida via South West on July 16th and back on the 26th, absolutely no problems from TSA or southwest

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie