Best 2nd drone for travel / backpacks?

Reaction score
Just wondering what would be a good 2nd drone to my DJI Phantom 4 to have when I need to be on foot or travel? The DJI P4, especially flying on plane, is massive to carry and I had to pay $25 to check it in. First time I got away with it and didn't have to check it in, but the return flight home, they didn't consider it a personal item and considered it a carry on or checked bag, which required me to pay $25.

So now I am more motivated to find a 2nd drone that won't take up much space while traveling. Especially one that can fit in a backpack with other stuff. Like if I go walking / biking / subways in other cities. That won't weigh me down and can simply be thrown into a backpack and still have room for a jacket.

I either want the Spark or Mavic Pro. Spark looks like the easiest one to carry, but will it have the same performance as the P4? The Mavic is slightly bigger but it has more performance. Can anyone tell me which smaller drone would be best in terms of performance vs easiest to carry?

I just want to carry a light portable drone I can carry around with me. And won't weigh me down when I'm not flying it. Something where I can go walk / bike around 10 miles around a city and stop at random spots to go fly it. Or one I can take on a hike with me. Also I ride a BMW scooter that has a trunk, but it won't fit my DJI P4 backpack. So also as well, I can have a tiny drone I can leave in my motorcycle trunk if I want to make a one hour trip away from home.

I feel the Phantom 4 is a good drone if you have space in your car and it's just a few days. But if you're limited on space, then the Phantom 4 is something that will take away space. It's best as a stay at home drone or a local trip out.

I'd personally take the Spark since it's both light and compact. It doesn't have all of the features of a P4 (or Mavic), but it's good enough to grab some video or photos.

I'd personally take the Spark since it's both light and compact. It doesn't have all of the features of a P4 (or Mavic), but it's good enough to grab some video or photos.

Would the spark be something that could fit in a backpack along w/ some clothes and still be considered a "personal item" so I can get around the $25 baggage fee? And something I can throw into a backpack that won't weigh me down if I'm hiking or walking / biking around a city.

As in it can fit under the airplane seat? I think this rule is bogus though, the crew members on the airplanes don't really enforce personal items to having to go under the seat. It's only the check in people who will check, if they don't say anything, none of the other airline crew will say anything.

Just wondering what would be a good 2nd drone to my DJI Phantom 4 to have when I need to be on foot or travel? The DJI P4, especially flying on plane, is massive to carry and I had to pay $25 to check it in. First time I got away with it and didn't have to check it in, but the return flight home, they didn't consider it a personal item and considered it a carry on or checked bag, which required me to pay $25.

So now I am more motivated to find a 2nd drone that won't take up much space while traveling. Especially one that can fit in a backpack with other stuff. Like if I go walking / biking / subways in other cities. That won't weigh me down and can simply be thrown into a backpack and still have room for a jacket.

I either want the Spark or Mavic Pro. Spark looks like the easiest one to carry, but will it have the same performance as the P4? The Mavic is slightly bigger but it has more performance. Can anyone tell me which smaller drone would be best in terms of performance vs easiest to carry?

I just want to carry a light portable drone I can carry around with me. And won't weigh me down when I'm not flying it. Something where I can go walk / bike around 10 miles around a city and stop at random spots to go fly it. Or one I can take on a hike with me. Also I ride a BMW scooter that has a trunk, but it won't fit my DJI P4 backpack. So also as well, I can have a tiny drone I can leave in my motorcycle trunk if I want to make a one hour trip away from home.

I feel the Phantom 4 is a good drone if you have space in your car and it's just a few days. But if you're limited on space, then the Phantom 4 is something that will take away space. It's best as a stay at home drone or a local trip out.

f57732848c185e5626ff828c4afe0b60.jpg

Add a go pro to this little baby.

Reactions: BigAl07
Would the spark be something that could fit in a backpack along w/ some clothes and still be considered a "personal item" so I can get around the $25 baggage fee?
It's okay to take it onto a plane and it'll surely fit into a bag that could be stowed under an airplane seat. Check the airline of your choice for their size limitation on "personal item" storage bags.

And something I can throw into a backpack that won't weigh me down if I'm hiking or walking / biking around a city.
It's currently the smallest and lightest drone DJI makes.

Check youtube comparisons.
Mavic seems to be closer to the quality video you are looking for and small enough to fold and put in baggy jean pockets.

If you buy the spark, make sure to get also the remote control. Without the remote control, the range will be very limited. The remote control provide more range and better control performance.

The mavic pro actually has a form factor similar to the spark , due to the folding arms.
The mavic camera is definitely better than the sparks

Personally, I would go with a Mavic Pro. Hands down. For too many reasons to list. You are only dependent on how much you want to spend, how far you want to fly and what quality of image you want/need.

You should go with the mavic in my opinion. The sparks camera quality is not nearly as good as the mavic or even phantom 4. If you are used to the Phantom 4, you would be disappointed with the spark. Like I said, just my opinion.

Spark:
5546227593b20677e6095a54408db380.jpg

Mavic:
7f968d7b23637d90495d10c36abc866a.jpg

Reactions: Tigerbait
Well I just picked a Mavic Pro on Craigslist for $750. Comes with 1 extra battery (2 total batteries) & carry case. Which is a huge plus. And the thing looks barely used, and still has plastic covers on the remote screens.

So for the propellers, do they just lock themselves?

Last edited:
do I just have to be sure they're spread out?
You can -- or just let them open when the props start spinning.

will they lock when it's ready to fly?
The props do not lock when extended. There's no need for a lock since they automatically fully extend when spinning.

I got the Mavic Pro.

And the M. Pro propellors fold inside. So do I just have to be sure they're spread out? And will they lock when it's ready to fly?
Make sure you check the gimbal and test it very well... Some mavics develop an issue with the gimbal without apparent crash. Does not affect all of them but it is a weird sound pitch when the mavic turn on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31