tracker

Reaction score
I would like to know if any one has install any type of tracking device on there drone? What type?
and price.

You can find a list of commonly used trackers here.

I would like to know if any one has install any type of tracking device on there drone? What type?
and price.

There has been plenty of discussions here on tracking devices check em out for more info - I use a "Marco Polo" due to no monthly fees and it has a 2 mile radius which is perfect for me since its doubtful I would ever fly that far away. I have tested it by leaving the transmitter in a known location (about a mile and half away) then tracking it with the hand held unit. Worked great. It is on Amazon (see msingers site) for around $220.00 USD.

The only time I need mine and had it on, it didn't work very well. Marco let me down, or maybe I let it down. I was 100 yards from the drone. It had gone rogue. We tracked it by the video. It had landed in a swamp, but was not wet. I tested it after wards. Batteries where good, and it was turned on. I am glad I saw this post. I need to try to figure out what happened.

Mike, regarding your link for tracking devices...your Amazon link to a 3G Trackimo device doesn't say 3G anywhere in the Amazon ad. It only says GSM, which doesn't necessarily mean it's 3G. Do you have another way to confirm it's 3G? Drone World prices are always higher, so the increased price of this device is not proof of 3G IMO.

Notice your link to the 2G Trackimo says model TRK100 and the 3G link uses the same TRK100 model# in the Amazon ads.

Mike, regarding your link for tracking devices...your Amazon link to a 3G Trackimo device doesn't say 3G anywhere in the Amazon ad. It only says GSM, which doesn't necessarily mean it's 3G. Do you have another way to confirm it's 3G? Drone World prices are always higher, so the increased price of this device is not proof of 3G IMO.

Notice your link to the 2G Trackimo says model TRK100 and the 3G link uses the same TRK100 model# in the Amazon ads.

Buy directly from Trackimo to be sure.
3G Trackimo® GPS Tracker Including Free US Shipping and 1 Year GSM Service

Here's the Q & A for that item:

Comments.png

I bought a Marco Polo and upon receiving it I charged it and installed it. I never read the manual except how to charge it. I sent my P4 to photograph our new fire substation about 1.5 miles away. Enroute I lost my signal. Takeoff altitude was at 8,000' in the Rocky Mountains. I misjudged the height of the very tall trees and when I couldn't regain my signal, with no response from RTH, I realized that my P4 was not returning. I was receiving a very weak signal from the Marco Polo that progressively got stronger as I was walking and climbing through extremely rough mountainous terrain following the directional arrow. Finally in an area that I had never been to before the alarm went off and I had 99% signal. I noticed that the arrow pointed fully to the left and there, 5' away, under a fallen tree trunk, was my P4. The area where it struck the tree top has no cellular reception and the dense 100+' high tree cover prevented any GPS Signal under the trees. Without Marco Polo I'd would never have found my P4! In about a month that area would have been under 8' of snow. Marco Polo was the best investment I could have ever made! I highly recommend it!!! Since then I'm flying higher and my RTH is set at 121 meters. Buy a Marco Polo and you won't regret it!

Sent from my VS995 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I know this may be an old thread but I found it looking for a tracker as well. I have found a device that is a new product. It has been developed and is being crowd- funded right now. Availability is this summer if you order now (Buy the perk and become a part of a startup). Global range. 1.3" square. Waterproof. Battery can last up to 3 months. Uses 3G. $99 for the device and the first year of cellular service. Service is $36 a year from then on. Check it out: Click here. or Ping - The World’s Smallest Global GPS Locator

Also has a panic button or can be used as a 'check-in' feature making it far more useful than anything currently available.

Video is below:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Information is below:

nntjbmul9feopa9g8jay.jpg
kdwezuqeqts1thrilseq.jpg

vpijyce2qyitysrsv3zf.jpg

Last edited:
I know this may be an old thread but I found it looking for a tracker as well. I have found a device that is a new product. It has been developed and is being crowd- funded right now. Availability is this summer if you order now (Buy the perk and become a part of a startup). Global range. 1.3" square. Waterproof. Battery can last up to 3 months. Uses 3G. $99 for the device and the first year of cellular service. Service is $36 a year from then on. Check it out: Click here. or Ping - The World’s Smallest Global GPS Locator

Also has a panic button or can be used as a 'check-in' feature making it far more useful than anything currently available.

Video is below:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Information is below:

nntjbmul9feopa9g8jay.jpg
kdwezuqeqts1thrilseq.jpg

vpijyce2qyitysrsv3zf.jpg
This Ping thing doesnt exist yet.
It is slated for July release but a good chance it will be pushed back until sept.

This Ping thing doesnt exist yet.
It is slated for July release but a good chance it will be pushed back until sept.

I decided to wait for this than settle for something more expensive, heavier, and not as durable. I hope that I did not imply it is currently available (I hope I said it was coming this summer). Thanks!

Are you waiting until September to fly again?

You can buy a Trackimo and a bracket tomorrow.

I pre-ordered a Ping. If it turns out to be everything it claims, I'll certainly add it to my list when it's available.

Reactions: The Ghost

Hey Mike... Here is a product coming this summer, and I hope you can add it to your great list. Ping - The World’s Smallest Global GPS Locator
Are you waiting until September to fly again?

You can buy a Trackimo and a bracket tomorrow.

I considered it was basically a waste of money....40% more initial expense, twice the weight, not as durable, not waterproof, 40% larger, 48hr battery vs 3 month, $60 vs $36 yearly service, and I have received no indication that I will not have it in July.

But you would be tracking it tomorrow. Not 6 months from now.

Yeah a small risk, but I personally would rather wait for this than settle for what is currently available. Certainly not trying to decide for others, just trying to share.

Hey Mike... Here is a product coming this summer, and I hope you can add it to your great list
I saw it -- just waiting to try it out before recommending it to anyone.

I have an RF V16 gps tracker. Works very well once set up.
I don't mind throwing a few bucks on a card to have real time tracking, as this is only required on an as needed basis.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31