Torturing the gimbal

Reaction score
There is no question that the worst thing we do to our gimbals is pull the battery. I try to do it with the bird sitting on a table, and still when the battery pops the gimbal gets a good shake. A word to the wise, don't pull the battery out while holding the bird in your hand. That is way too much whiplash. Anybody else have any good ideas on this?

I also have this which keeps all steady and keeps the gimbal lock on.No vibrating off works on both my PV2 and P3
IMG_0670.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG
iphone 6 case (1).JPG

Last edited:
I think DJI had to of taken into account that the gimbal would get jostled when they designed it. I'm no expert, but I gotta think a little bit of shaking won't hurt it. I think a lot of us found the gimbal guard had fallen off in shipping, but caused no issues.

They'll take all of the design flaws we poor saps report to them and improve the design of newer birds. Of course, that's the "only" consolation we get out of it lol!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

There is no question that the worst thing we do to our gimbals is pull the battery. I try to do it with the bird sitting on a table, and still when the battery pops the gimbal gets a good shake. A word to the wise, don't pull the battery out while holding the bird in your hand. That is way too much whiplash. Anybody else have any good ideas on this?

I've removed the battery most of the time without "bracing" the gimbal. Generally, when I remove the battery, the P3 is sitting on the landing gear and I hold the body with one hand and remove the battery with the other. Frankly, it sounds like you're battery is much harder to get out than mine.

I set the bird down on my case when removing the battery.

Then, using two hands, pinch the battery with your thumbs and index fingers. As you push your wrists against the rear arms, the battery will slip out smoothly. A little leverage you should try. :cool:

Then, using two hands, pinch the battery with your thumbs and index fingers. As you push your wrists against the rear arms, the battery will slip out smoothly. A little leverage you should try. :cool:

Yep. thats what I do. works like a champ!

Reactions: Fplvert
Here's a video, might help my attempt to describe how easy this works.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Same here, no vibrations go through the quad.

I think DJI had to of taken into account that the gimbal would get jostled when they designed it. I'm no expert, but I gotta think a little bit of shaking won't hurt it. I think a lot of us found the gimbal guard had fallen off in shipping, but caused no issues.
Well this is my third Phantom and Im here to tell you If you travel on a plane the gimbal lock will com e off and after one ribbon cable damaged you will decide like I did a little extra protection is worth the 5 dollars of foam and 10 minutes of time.Have made over 20 airline flights since and the foam has done its job every time;)

Here's a video, might help my attempt to describe how easy this works.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Glad someone already posted this. Once I figured this method out I felt stupid for trying it the other way. It's now how I always remove the battery. Much easier, and doesn't jostle the aircraft at all.

Well this is my third Phantom and Im here to tell you If you travel on a plane the gimbal lock will com e off and after one ribbon cable damaged you will decide like I did a little extra protection is worth the 5 dollars of foam and 10 minutes of time.Have made over 20 airline flights since and the foam has done its job every time;)
I'm with ya on the foam. I've used a bit of foam for transport between the gimbal guard and the gimbal lock. It takes the weight off the dampners.
image.jpg

This is on the P2V +.

Reactions: skyhighdiver

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic