Top Speed Record. What's Yours?

I think you all are playing childish and wreckless games. DJI drones are not made to be handled in such a way. You could push the drone to its limits. Something could break down and it could go into hyperdrive. Then you would be beyond line of sight before you know it. No telling what would happen then. It might end up in a NFZ. VERY irresponsible.
Can I play? I went 127 mph on my flight records. I guess that was because I had a prop fly off. Lol
Now THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT!!! ????

I think you all are playing childish and wreckless games. DJI drones are not made to be handled in such a way. You could push the drone to its limits. Something could break down and it could go into hyperdrive. Then you would be beyond line of sight before you know it. No telling what would happen then. It might end up in a NFZ. VERY irresponsible.
Can I play? I went 127 mph on my flight records. I guess that was because I had a prop fly off. Lol

Haha very funny. You already do all that by launching in the first place. Stay safe leave it at home. Lol

Phantoms are not supposed to brake any speed records and doing that you definitely go out of law limits. Primarily this are the flying cams made for taking videos and still photos.
Buy a racing drone and then you can have a race.

Phantoms are not supposed to brake any speed records and doing that you definitely go out of law limits. Primarily this are the flying cams made for taking videos and still photos.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it seems it is not against the law to fly a phantom fast. if you say it is fine for me to fly a racing drone at high speeds why is it not fine to fly a phantom at high speeds?

According to the FAA website for part 107 Pilots the maximum speed you can fly your drone is 100 miles per hour. Nowhere in the recreational section does it say that there is a speed limit.

Um...limits of law...what limit of law states any speed limit,,as I say above , it's good to know what capable of , do you fly a to b at 5kph,well not me,,just my experiences going slow attract attention,unless I'm filming it's full speed ahead ,,you know some got lead feet,,I got lead fingers

Um...limits of law...what limit of law states any speed limit,,as I say above , it's good to know what capable of , do you fly a to b at 5kph,well not me,,just my experiences going slow attract attention,unless I'm filming it's full speed ahead ,,you know some got lead feet,,I got lead fingers
LOL Lead fingers ?

50mph ? but that was with one of my mavics..
Screenshot_20190813-004514.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly! (Love the lead fingers.)

My Jeep accelerates a lot slower than my drone. It's the base model 2009 Patriot with a cvt transmission. It won't ever win any races, but it is loud and sounds like my dad's Toyota tundra. (It definitely doesn't sound like my dad's Ford F350 super duty truck. That thing is very loud.)

But ianzone you are very right. If I hover slowly over people's houses just moseying along taking my sweet time then people are going to see it and think I'm spying. But if it zips past at 50 miles an hour then a lot of people might not even know it's a drone and think some sort of airplane went over. By the way when I am doing these speed tests I keep the drone within visual line-of-sight. Whenever I do a flight at my house I always fly it into the general direction of the wind (which just so happens to be a bunch of forest and mountains, instead of the boring city part.) and when I'm done filming I fly it back with the wind and it gets back to me in no time!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it seems it is not against the law to fly a phantom fast. if you say it is fine for me to fly a racing drone at high speeds why is it not fine to fly a phantom at high speeds?

According to the FAA website for part 107 Pilots the maximum speed you can fly your drone is 100 miles per hour. Nowhere in the recreational section does it say that there is a speed limit.
Well, literary you're right. There is no speed limits at least not for a Phantoms capabilities. If you do that on an open land in the middle of nowhere it's OK. What I was talking about is while flying at top speed in an urban area it is hard to strictly avoid streets, people, buildings etc. Even it is hard to stay in the VLOS. It makes a 100 m in around 4 sec and it is hard to see it after 10 to 15s (depends on surroundings of course).
But do whatever you like, I just put my opinion about that. As far as I'm concerned I almost never fly in sport mode. I have no need to do that. And even flying time would be shorter.
Cheers!

Yes I can safely say I hardly fly where I live(houses). I all well know it's a flying brick if malifuntion occurs,had my turn , but can happen fast or slow,,I drive to fly now and the sport mode gets it work out,in control of course,,you not lose much flight time but does cause things to heat up,battery and motors, I can't afford another drone so this one gets some care,,,@Andy9,try sport mode you be amazed and have smile from ear to ear.i know you got some methane in your blood let it loose and not a "" "".:)enjoy and stay safe

Reactions: soringeagle
Thanks for the advise. Yes I've tried S-mode occationally and it is fun. But as I said prime interest for me is what I can get with camera and chances to get useful shots or video at full speed are very low. And usually here is a lot of hills where I fly so in sport mode propabillity to crash is higher.
It''s nothing wrong with speed if the territory is suitable for it. I just want to stress that this site should not become a kind of speed competition.

Deezbs, I don’t use Airdata, but 45,340 ft ?? You really flew a Phantom out 45k feet? Dang, son! What do you have hooked up to your controller?

Oops, just realized that’s probably total feet covered in one flight. Never mind.

To answer the question of the thread: 61.1 mph. This was in S mode with a tail wind.

To address some of the negativity here on flying fast. Everyone has their own reason. Some good and some bad. Some like myself time is valuable. Flying in S mode to/from a site in a rural area allows more time spent inspecting a site in P mode and getting out in S mode. No laws broken.

Actually not true. I have flown RC for over 30 years, and sUAV's about 5 years. This speed indication is over ground, but the drone is still only moving 45 mph max in an envelope of air. In civil aviation, we can get very fast ground speeds, (one way of the round trip) but the envelope of air we are operating in is moving as well. So there is no extra wear and tear on the aircraft as long as attention is given when taking off, ascending, descending and landing. For sUAV flights, I personally check two things. Wind on the ground must be less than 16 mph and winds at 250' must be less than 26 mph. The main reason I have these self imposed limits is the RtH does not operate in sport mode and all three of my DJI drones fly about 28 MPH in program mode. One must also be aware of not over revving the motors with strong winds. I never use the RTH, but a time or two it has been helpful when local WiFi interference disconnected the Phantom 4 Pro. I have not had issues like this with the Mavic 2 Pro thus far. I realize opinions may differ, but letting her rip every now and then is kind of fun, especially over a field or open water.

Fly safely, fly often.

~Scott

Attachments

• IMG_5644.jpg
    IMG_5644.jpg
    830.5 KB · Views: 132
Actually not true. I have flown RC for over 30 years, and sUAV's about 5 years. This speed indication is over ground, but the drone is still only moving 45 mph max in an envelope of air. In civil aviation, we can get very fast ground speeds, (one way of the round trip) but the envelope of air we are operating in is moving as well. So there is no extra wear and tear on the aircraft as long as attention is given when taking off, ascending, descending and landing. For sUAV flights, I personally check two things. Wind on the ground must be less than 16 mph and winds at 250' must be less than 26 mph. The main reason I have these self imposed limits is the RtH does not operate in sport mode and all three of my DJI drones fly about 28 MPH in program mode. One must also be aware of not over revving the motors with strong winds. I never use the RTH, but a time or two it has been helpful when local WiFi interference disconnected the Phantom 4 Pro. I have not had issues like this with the Mavic 2 Pro thus far. I realize opinions may differ, but letting her rip every now and then is kind of fun, especially over a field or open water.

Fly safely, fly often.

~Scott
Well, I wonder it you have flown so fast, that something snapped and it popped into hyperdrive. Then how are you going to control it?
My other post that you quoted was a joke also.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4