Top Speed P4P vs P4

Reaction score
What speed should I be seeing with my P4P in P-Mode, P-Mode with OA sensors off? Sports mode? Etc. Compared to my P4?

For P4P I've heard 43mph in S mode and 30mph in P mode with OA enabled. My P4 usually does 43mph in S mode and 15 to 16mph in P mode with OA enabled. I'm disappointed that I can never get the advertised 22mph with OA enabled, except in RTH mode. When I enabled RTH with OA enabled, it does exactly 22mph. I'm curious if the P4P does the advertised 30mph with OA enabled, or is it really 25?

For P4P I've heard 43mph in S mode and 30mph in P mode with OA enabled. My P4 usually does 43mph in S mode and 15 to 16mph in P mode with OA enabled. I'm disappointed that I can never get the advertised 22mph with OA enabled, except in RTH mode. When I enabled RTH with OA enabled, it does exactly 22mph. I'm curious if the P4P does the advertised 30mph with OA enabled, or is it really 25?
Today I hit averaged 28 - 31mph in P-Mode with OA enabled. In P-Mode with OA disabled I hit a top speed of 39.6 mph. It was pretty windy out. I have yet to fly in sports mode but I'm hoping I'll get the advertised 45mph.

Another thing I've been curious about, is there a break in period on these Drones? Motors? Electronics? Batteries? Etc. Before they perform at peak?

Some folks will be kind to the batteries for the first 5 to 10 flights, discharging only to 50% before recharging. Other than that, there's no break in period on anything else. However, I don't do the battery break-in period like others, I typically land by 30%, or 25% at worst case, whether it's a new battery or old. However I do recharge them asap, at least to 60%, using the DJI 3 bay charger that offers "storage" mode. I haven't had a battery fail yet in 2yrs, but I may be lucky. Most of my batteries have over 60 charges.

Last edited:
Some folks will be kind to the batteries for the first 5 to 10 flights, discharging only to 50% before recharging. Other than that, there's no break in period on anything else. However, I don't do the battery break-in period like other, I typically land by 30%, or 25% at worst case, whether it's a new battery or old. I haven't had a battery fail yet in 2yrs, but I may be lucky. Most of my batteries have over 60 charges.
Yeah I've heard of that. I have 4 charges on my hi cap battery and 37 charges on a regular battery. I'm thinking I should do a cycle on it , discharge down to 8% but not sure if it's necessary.

Yeah I've heard of that. I have 4 charges on my hi cap battery and 37 charges on a regular battery. I'm thinking I should do a cycle on it , discharge down to 8% but not sure if it's necessary.
I don't think anyone does the deep cycle discharge anymore, I don't. There's been no proof it helps and DJI doesn't recommend anymore, from what I see. It's always been unclear if this deep discharge process was to help the battery cell health, or only to reset the smarts in the battery to know how much capacity the battery is capable to hold, in an effort the better estimate return mileage till empty, while flying.. I simply watch the voltage differentials between cells to make sure none are going south.

Reactions: KingDad1985
I don't think anyone does the deep cycle discharge anymore, I don't. There's been no proof it helps and DJI doesn't recommend anymore, from what I see. It's always been unclear if this deep discharge process was to help the battery cell health, or only to reset the smarts in the battery to know how much capacity the battery is capable to hold, in an effort the better estimate return mileage till empty, while flying.. I simply watch the voltage differentials between cells to make sure none are going south.
You can also hold down the power button for 5 seconds and it will tell you battery health. 4 lights being the healthiest

In still air with OA disabled, the P4 pro will reach 36 mph.
Sport mode - 45 mph
Thank you for the confirmation. These are pretty much the speeds I'm seeing also
I hit 42-46mph in sports mode & 35-39 mph in P-Mode with OA Disabled depending on wind conditions and what not.
In still air with OA disabled, the P4 pro will reach 36 mph.
Sport mode - 45 mph

Fastest I've gotten the P4P in sport mode is 59.6mph. Obviously with a tailwind, but dang that's fast!
Very! I hit 61.2 mph on my previous P4P. Too fast for me. Lol My new P4P I've hit the advertised 45 mph in sports mode consistently which is perfect for me.
546b1e598ddb3eb9252daf7c45c2b27d.jpg

Very! I hit 61.2 mph on my previous P4P. Too fast for me. Lol My new P4P I've hit the advertised 45 mph in sports mode consistently which is perfect for me.
If you go to the flight record for that flight on 10/11/2016, what's the fastest speed you can see on the flight record replay?

If you go to the flight record for that flight on 10/11/2016, what's the fastest speed you can see on the flight record replay?
Oh wait. I'm not sure I have the device I used for that flight anymore. Is there another way to see this info?

I had a battery that I was tracking with Airdata (aka Healthy Drones) and it had a LOT of issues with the cells not being balanced until I did a complete discharge (until the battery turned off while sitting in drone - something I did see a DJI forum rep say to do). After I did that, I regained about 250mAh and the cells were once again balanced and have been since.

the best speed I have recorded on the P4P is just over 49mph - no tail wind to speak of

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik