Today's scenic P4P flight at fairly high resolution

Reaction score
I'm trying to hold out on buying camera filters until the Neewer filters come out, at one third the price of the Polar Pro filters. The fact that the P4P camera does a lot better without filters than my P3P or my Autel Robotics X-Star Premium increases the chances that I'll be able to wait. Recorded in 4K at 60 fps, then uploaded to YouTube in 1080p. Good music, fun flight.

It's kind of remarkable to me that the video is as decent (not great, but decent) in quality as it is, considering that the original file size was about 7 GB. I saved it after editing as a 684 MB file, and YouTube reduced it to 163 MB. That means the video you view on YouTube is a file that's only 1/43 the size of the original.

Last edited:
Lighting conditions did not help.
I am content to not even know what you're talking about, unless it's the large variations in automatic light metering that depend on whether the camera is pointed at the sky or instead at a darker portion of the field of view.

I know what looks good to me and what doesn't look that good to me, but I'm very mindful of the law of diminishing returns when it comes to investment of time and effort.

Slowly but surely, I'm learning to use manual camera settings but I've used only automatic settings in most of my 200+ Phantom quad videos that I've uploaded to YouTube over the past 3+ years.

I definitely appreciate the difference between the 20 megapixel, 1" sensor of the P4P compared to the 12 megapixel, 2/3" sensor of previous Phantoms. But, I'm quick to admit that my hobbyist-level philosophy is to chase improvement only up to the point that it stops feeling like a caper and starts feeling like a job. I've had Maynard G Krebs syndrome since I was a child. :)

Last edited:
I'm talking about a boring video in poor lighting conditions. You need to be more creative instead of a camera traversing the landscape for minutes on end that does not inspire. Most of your videos are of this variety.

I'm talking about a boring video in poor lighting conditions. You need to be more creative instead of a camera traversing the landscape for minutes on end that does not inspire. Most of your videos are of this variety.
I'm surprised that you've watched more than one. Where you're mistaken is in thinking that you know what I need. What you're stating is what YOU need, which is of decreasing interest to me, considering that I draw a line between constructive criticism and mindless complaint.

There's no reason at all for you to waste any more of your precious time watching my videos. I create them for my own amusement and for the small number of people who, despite the boring and repetitive nature of the videos, manage to enjoy them. I'm not going to quit posting them just because you don't care for them. You are presumably capable of ignoring them.

Speaking of "inspire", I keep playing with the idea of getting an Inspire 2, fully knowing that I'm not likely to ever learn to take full advantage of the even better camera. I'll still be stepping out into my yard and taking videos of the same old boring landscape that makes me happy, in whatever lighting conditions exist when I feel like flying.

Last edited:
I watched a couple to see if there was a pattern. I'm not criticizing you, just offering my worthless 2 cents. I would consider my input as constructive. Short and to the point videos with a theme is what I am alluding to. Being creative in your composition. Most people would rather watch a 30 second video of a house burning than a 9 minute film of an Iowa cornfield as an example. I did not mean to offend. Keep shooting and have fun.

I watched a couple to see if there was a pattern. I'm not criticizing you, just offering my worthless 2 cents. I would consider my input as constructive. Short and to the point videos with a theme is what I am alluding to. Being creative in your composition. Most people would rather watch a 30 second video of a house burning than a 9 minute film of an Iowa cornfield as an example. I did not mean to offend. Keep shooting and have fun.
Hey, this is NC, not Iowa, and I hope I never have the opportunity to video a burning house. I prefer boring. For a video that's slightly different than my usual flight paths, here's one taken with my P3P 3 months ago, featuring some of my neighbors' animals. It's only half the length that you're complaining about. (9 minute videos are the exception rather than the rule for me). This video contains no houses afire though.

Hey, this is NC, not Iowa, and I hope I never have the opportunity to video a burning house. I prefer boring. For a video that's slightly different than my usual flight paths, here's one taken with my P3P 3 months ago, featuring some of my neighbors' animals. It's only half the length that you're complaining about. (9 minute videos are the exception rather than the rule for me). This video contains no houses afire though.
Very nice lighting and color. What was the 2 legged animal at the end?

I'm trying to hold out on buying camera filters until the Neewer filters come out, at one third the price of the Polar Pro filters. The fact that the P4P camera does a lot better without filters than my P3P or my Autel Robotics X-Star Premium increases the chances that I'll be able to wait. Recorded in 4K at 60 fps, then uploaded to YouTube in 1080p. Good music, fun flight.

It's kind of remarkable to me that the video is as decent (not great, but decent) in quality as it is, considering that the original file size was about 7 GB. I saved it after editing as a 684 MB file, and YouTube reduced it to 163 MB. That means the video you view on YouTube is a file that's only 1/43 the size of the original.
No offense big bells but I had to literally fast forward your videos ..when you upload stuff on social media expect criticism. It would be more interesting to the viewer if you cut your video instead of playing the whole flight . If this is just a test it could be way shorter just my opinion

Sent from my SM-G925V using PhantomPilots mobile app

No offense big bells but I had to literally fast forward your videos ..when you upload stuff on social media expect criticism. It would be more interesting to the viewer if you cut your video instead of playing the whole flight
I wanted to use the entire Blue Danube Waltz in a video. That said, the average length of the 29 P4P videos that I've uploaded in my first 50 days of P4P ownership is 3 minutes 50 seconds. That includes one that's just short of 25 minutes long. Most of my videos make judicious use of cutting and/or speeding up of the footage, but the one in question obviously did not.

Guilty as charged. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl