To update or; not to update

Reaction score
I’m 67 years old. No RC or flight experience. I ordered my Phantom in Mid October 2013 from B&H. Received it a week later; shortly before version 1.1 came out. Dual centering sticks. One compass. I watched videos at DJI.com and YouTube.com. Did the compass dance and took off. Just like they said; practically flew right out of the box. I’ve enjoyed more than 2 dozen very satisfying flights. Been out and up to limits of my eyesight. Some night flying. Impressed the hell out of my neighbors. Two “hard” landings but, no other mishaps. More fun than I’ve ever had for less than $500.

My question: Considering the difficulties some people have had with firmware updates, and considering that I don’t really “need” an update for any specific purpose, wouldn’t it be wise for me to wait until I need a calibration before I attempt it? I may never need it. "Leave well enough alone" comes to mind. I’m sure thousands of people will be receiving Phantoms for Christmas and will be asking themselves the same question.

My comment: I am so impressed with the assistance and support that many people on this forum freely provide to other phantom owners. I’m sure that a lot of desperation and frustration are alleviated by the selfless service of these guys. I’m sure that I will need help too, one day, but not today. :D

Hi,
I got my Phantom in September and having loads of fun with it. It came with the firmware version 3.14 installed. As touchwood everything is going as expected will leave the firmware as it is. It is certainly a good idea to get a feel of the craft before doing any updating- so you can tell quite quickly if something changes for better or worse if you do update.

I would leave it where it is unless something comes out that said your current firmware has a known "big" bug. If it flies the way you want it, I wouldn't change it.

WoodlakeDrone said:
I’m 67 years old. No RC or flight experience. I ordered my Phantom in Mid October 2013 from B&H. Received it a week later; shortly before version 1.1 came out. Dual centering sticks. One compass. I watched videos at DJI.com and YouTube.com. Did the compass dance and took off. Just like they said; practically flew right out of the box. I’ve enjoyed more than 2 dozen very satisfying flights. Been out and up to limits of my eyesight. Some night flying. Impressed the hell out of my neighbors. Two “hard” landings but, no other mishaps. More fun than I’ve ever had for less than $500.

My question: Considering the difficulties some people have had with firmware updates, and considering that I don’t really “need” an update for any specific purpose, wouldn’t it be wise for me to wait until I need a calibration before I attempt it? I may never need it. "Leave well enough alone" comes to mind. I’m sure thousands of people will be receiving Phantoms for Christmas and will be asking themselves the same question.

My comment: I am so impressed with the assistance and support that many people on this forum freely provide to other phantom owners. I’m sure that a lot of desperation and frustration are alleviated by the selfless service of these guys. I’m sure that I will need help too, one day, but not today. :D

Help!!! I'm brand new to the forum and the Phantom. After a couple of small mishaps My phantom began to drift, so I find on the web that I can fix this online. First I have to update (face palm). Now nothing works. I have windows eight, the downloads and assistant software seemed to load but....my default configuration parameters do not seem to work. Now I just get a yellow blinking light and no response. I have even used the advanced guide to link the transmitter but to no avail. When I hook up my phantom to the computer I do not have the control recognition as seen in the videos. I was extremely pleased with the phantom when it was working but I'm extremely confused and frustrated now. I cant get anyone to help walk me slowly thru a fix. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

bretstacy read this entire post...should fix your problem pay attention to my comments at the end..and follow to the letter.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4731

For the others......my advice, having been doing this for a while,.....don't update unless you have problems...you have nothing to gain. If you are flying good now...leave it be and have fun with it. If you do want to update follow my comments at the end of the above thread....good flying to all!

Thanks Tac but disaster has already struck. I would love to get back to where I was but the damage is done, I found this forum because I can no longer use my phantom and was hoping to get help.

Tac kind of new to the forum thing, found the link and I have new hope. Lol its late so I'll call it a night and approach everything tomorrow with a clear head. Thanks for the help I'm sure I will talk to you all tomorrow.

well, if you follow the instructions, odds are very good that you'll have no troubles updating.

I updated both my Phantom and my 450, and haven't experienced any problems whatsoever.
they haven't released an update in some time, so I'd say 4.02 is pretty darn solid.

Special thanks to thetac and to thor555. My Phantom is up and running like new. There were small details left out of the instructions and videos, which made all the difference. Thanks for taking the time to break it down step by step and troubleshoot specifics. Your help was greatly appreciated. -Bret

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl