Tired of hard landing with RTH

I usually auto land my P4 but always soften the landing by overriding the RTH for the last few seconds by using the sticks. At the same time I position the quad horizontally by the same means, not turning off the RTH but overriding it.

It's not that hard to manually soft land! I've been doing this since my second ever flight.. bring it down nice a slow and with the tiniest bit of patience, it lands like a feather (i always choose to land it on a doormat that makes for a cheap and great landing pad!)

Reactions: N017RW
I always hand catch. I bring it in to within arms reach but still a little high, reach up slowly watching for any movement and as soon as I catch I kill the motors before I attempt to lower the AC.

Reactions: Tobrouk
I have hand-caught 'copters before and find it is not always the best thing to do. Had a hexicopter go bananas on me on a take-off and, had I not reached up and grabbed it, I am sure it would have flown away uncontrolled. When I grabbed for it one of the props made a series of slices on the back of my hand and on some fingers - and, yes, there was blood (lots and lots of blood!) On that machine I had to hold both control sticks all the way back and all the way toward the center to kill the motors, which you cannot do if you have one hand holding the 'copter and the other trying to manipulate the RC sticks.

My advice to those who hand catch: Use one hand to catch the 'copter, kill the motors (throttle all the way back for 3 seconds or more), the SWITCH OFF THE RC CONTROLLER ONCE THE MOTORS HAVE STOPPED SPINNING.

Before the latest firmware update, I thought the descent rate and landing a bit bumpy, but now the Precision Landing function works very well and lands gently. I'd hand catch if need be but I haven't yet got tired of seeing the bird "line up for approach" and sit down gently.

I don't get why you guys need to use the automated take off and landing. I always take off and land manually. It landed very soft and you can avoid getting your shell cracked. Because the automated land usually descent very fast.

I don't get why you guys need to use the automated take off and landing. I always take off and land manually. It landed very soft and you can avoid getting your shell cracked. Because the automated land usually descent very fast.
Agreed. I never understood why people use this function, either. Taking off/landing manually is extremely easy and is part of the whole experience. I've NEVER used an auto take-off or landing nor have I felt the need to.

Reactions: macoman
Agreed. I never understood why people use this function, either. Taking off/landing manually is extremely easy and is part of the whole experience. I've NEVER used an auto take-off or landing nor have I felt the need to.
Yup, it's even healthy for your drone to take off manually because that can avoid also an accident in case you didn't put right the props.

With the latest update (which worked fine for me), RTH landings on level surfaces and good lighting have been quite controlled and gentle. I usually also hand catch at times as well, but landings on level hard surfaces seem to go well when desired.

Getting old has few advantages. But one of em' is Perspective. We Ancient Ones didn't have the choice that the Fledglings have now...we flew everything "manually" there was no choice. Just possibly, we enjoy seeing an auto take-off or landing because we remember that what is available now would have been pure "FM" (call it an old military term) back in the Ancient Days. We also enjoy being able to say "Computer...Kitchen Lamp to 50%" without first getting off the couch first...

Reactions: macoman
If I'm attempting to land in a really horrible terrain. eg long grass, lots of rocks etc, I try and land the Phantom on my head. That way I'm ensuring that the props won't have any chance of doing damage to my eyes and my hands and arms won't get damaged by a hand catch. This is obviously the best and safest way to land your faithful Phantom with the lowest amount of risk.

If I'm attempting to land in a really horrible terrain. eg long grass, lots of rocks etc, I try and land the Phantom on my head. That way I'm ensuring that the props won't have any chance of doing damage to my eyes and my hands and arms won't get damaged by a hand catch. This is obviously the best and safest way to land your faithful Phantom with the lowest amount of risk.

Ha! Love it.

Reactions: gyrex

Somehow that sounds way worse. I am 6'2". I fly the drone to about 7 feet, grab the right rear leg firmly and cut the props. 3 seconds later its all off and safe.

Somehow that sounds way worse. I am 6'2". I fly the drone to about 7 feet, grab the right rear leg firmly and cut the props. 3 seconds later its all off and safe.

It's much safer than a hand catch, trust me. Once you get it down pat, you'll never look back! Have you seen the injuries you can get from hand catching? No thanks. Head catching is the way forward...

It's much safer than a hand catch, trust me. Once you get it down pat, you'll never look back! Have you seen the injuries you can get from hand catching? No thanks. Head catching is the way forward...

Maybe you need to post a video showing this in action.

I have only used RTH and auto-land to confirm it works. I almost always hand catch for landing but it is certainly not the safest way to land. It does avoid getting the camera/gimbel in contact with grass and tip-overs.

been pure "FM" (call it an old military term) back in the Ancient Days.
and... no that isn't the broadcast band either! hehe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures