Tired of hard landing with RTH

Reaction score
I am going to the craft store and get an 8x8 half inch foam cutout and make my own pad. The foam will help with the hard landings for rth harder than manual landings which in the long run will stress out the landing gear and craft.

Reactions: Testman
The Phantom would have to be performing dead accurate auto landings to hit an 8x8 inch square. Perhaps you meant 8x8 feet?

Reactions: OOO
Yes. I did mean feet. It could be square, or I can cut the corners and make 7' diameter. I'll glue cardboard to the bottom and use those metal spiked garden stakes used to hold down light blocker material for weeds. I really like mav pro, it's decent to about 3 feet then lands. Would like the p4 do the same.

Just be careful hand catching... Watched a guy grab his DJI about 5 feet off the ground and tried to walk away WHILE THE PROPS WERE STILL TURNING!!! Well, when the GPS kicked in, the bird tilted REAL HARD to keep in GPS lock and cut him BAD through the shirt and right to the bone.. Kiinda like this guy..

REMEMBER: if you decide to catch it...... TURN IT OFF... before you walk !!!!!!!!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just be careful hand catching... Watched a guy grab his DJI about 5 feet off the ground and tried to walk away WHILE THE PROPS WERE STILL TURNING!!! Well, when the GPS kicked in, the bird tilted REAL HARD to keep in GPS lock and cut him BAD through the shirt and right to the bone.. Kiinda like this guy..

REMEMBER: if you decide to catch it...... TURN IT OFF... before you walk !!!!!!!!!

Did he really bend down so he could get it on video? I bet he is watching his blood dripping on the iPad.

And he had prop guards on it.

Last edited:
Yup.. that's what they are.. the individual at the park I witnessed did NOT have prop guards..

The guy on video might have got his arm above and over the guard and got wacked from the inside of the guards.. don't know, but that cut looks pretty real to me.. lol

My guess is that he grabbed the horizontal part of the leg and not the vertical portion. I always hand catch, but understand the danger if it. Always wear eye protection!!!

Reactions: OOO
TEHO.

I prefer to land the a/c myself.

Never a problem in almost three years of Phantom ownership.

An 8x8' pad is a little bit of overkill IMO.

I use a 2x2' 1/4" piece of plywood when I need to get off of tall grass, bare dirt or, sand. Keeps the gimbal free to calibrate & landing on it isn't that difficult either. Not to forget storing it back in my vehicle doesn't take up much room either.

Reactions: jsposito
An 8x8' pad is a little bit of overkill IMO.

I use a 2x2' 1/4" piece of plywood when I need to get off of tall grass, bare dirt or, sand. Keeps the gimbal free to calibrate & landing on it isn't that difficult either. Not to forget storing it back in my vehicle doesn't take up much room either.

Yes, I would like a smaller pad, 8x8 is a bit much but after my last 3 landings - 3ft, 5ft, then 8ft away from HP makes me a little concerned. And this is with 18 sattellites at take off, not sure if it losses some I have to check - but launching by a lake is windier that I can say.

I am not going with 8x8 - 5x5 the most and make sure when I calibrate make sure there is nothing blocking the view.

I just bring her in over my head just in front of me, initiate auto landing and grab it. It shuts the motors off itself when you use auto-land, but hand catch.

I never use RTH always fly it myself, I also always hand catch when landing, has anyone ever took off from holding the drone, sometimes the ground is not always ok to take off

I have yet to try the hand release take off, but here's a good little video on it:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.