Tilts at take off

Reaction score
My first time out with the Phantom 2 Vision + I can't take off successfully. As I power up the rotors the craft tilts over and the rotors on the battery side hit the ground. I successfully did all calibrations successfully including a pre-flight compass calibration. Wind speed was about 2 mph. Ground was level. I also noticed the motors revving up and down during pre-flight idle.

Can anyone suggest a fix to my problem?

(I'm posting here because the help forum is closed and the Phantom 2 + forum isn't open yet)

Try taking off with the left stick the whole way up until you're about 10 feet in the air.

It also would not hurt to recalibrate your remote controller. Perhaps the sticks are not doing what you think they are.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks msinger. I'll recalibrate, but the full throttle take-off scares me. I tried something close to that and it nearly flew into my head!

Also- Does the engines revving up and down on their own, sound normal to you?

I've never heard of that but your motors have to idle calmly and all the same when you're not touching the sticks.
You can test at home first by taking the propellers off. You probably won't get GPS lock at home, but that has no effect on motor idle.

Thanks msinger. I'll recalibrate, but the full throttle take-off scares me. I tried something close to that and it nearly flew into my head!

Also- Does the engines revving up and down on their own, sound normal to you?

Yes it does sound normal if you let it sit there running. How long are you allowing the Phantom to idle?

Lots of folks have their bird tip on takeoff. Shooting up at a pretty good clip prevents, most of the time, the props from hitting the ground.
Try taking off from a platform that's just big enough for the bird.

1) The engines are revving up and down because it's trying to maintain position via GPS input.
2) If the controller is not touched for an extended period, while idling, the bird may go into "Return to home" mode and takeoff.

Idling is a bad idea.

Last edited:
The uav should not tip at take off. If you are sure you have a solid Advanced IMU calibration and great stick calibration, try carefully hand launching. Once you get into a stable hover, yaw left and right. Do not add any left or right front or back input. Let us know if the uav spins perfectly on axis. If it drifts you may have one or more malfunctioning rearward motors or ESCs.

Yes it does sound normal if you let it sit there running. How long are you allowing the Phantom to idle?

Lots of folks have their bird tip on takeoff. Shooting up at a pretty good clip prevents, most of the time, the props from hitting the ground.
Try taking off from a platform that's just big enough for the bird.

1) The engines are revving up and down because it's trying to maintain position via GPS input.
2) If the controller is not touched for an extended period, while idling, the bird may go into "Return to home" mode and takeoff.

Idling is a bad idea.

An even worse idea is testing stuff inside with the props on.

The uav should not tip at take off. If you are sure you have a solid Advanced IMU calibration and great stick calibration, try carefully hand launching. Once you get into a stable hover, yaw left and right. Do not add any left or right front or back input. Let us know if the uav spins perfectly on axis. If it drifts you may have one or more malfunctioning rearward motors or ESCs.

Hand launch is a horrid idea if he hasn't gotten the hang of regular launch yet. At only an arm's length away, bad things will happen.

An even worse idea is testing stuff inside with the props on.

Hand launch is a horrid idea...

Not sure why I was quoted. I'm hoping I got things correct in what I said.
Props in the house, well, they look good on the wall, not on the Phantom. ;)

Hand launch, yea that would be scaaaaary, with 1 person. With 2 I don't think it would be so bad.
I like taking off from a plastic tub, keeps the feet clean. :)

Basic Calibration solved the problem. I think I must have quit an advanced calibration before it was done, which caused the problem.

IflyinWY, the cold IMU is not going to help the OP's P2V+.

Yes, but the P2 can have an issue if the IMU UNIT starts getting to warm. She just will not calibrate until she is cooled down. Known issue.

Yes, but the P2 can have an issue if the IMU UNIT starts getting to warm. She just will not calibrate until she is cooled down. Known issue.

100% agree... P2V+ V3 I have requires that I do the advanced IMU cal immediately on Assistant connection... If I wait - I get the "will not calibrate, shut off and let cool down" message....

100% agree... P2V+ V3 I have requires that I do the advanced IMU cal immediately on Assistant connection... If I wait - I get the "will not calibrate, shut off and let cool down" message....
I don't think this is the same issue. But, it's true that you should start the IMU calibration as soon as the P2V+ starts.

It's funny that you can also get a false message about heating on one of the most important calibrations of the craft. " just click through it" they say!!!

I place my Phantom vision 2+ Ver. 3 and battery over an air conditioner vent for awhile before doing the advanced imu calibration. I have the table where I calibrate all set up with shims in place to level the Phantom, I level it with a glass across the four motors and a bulls eye level.
While the Phantom is cool I quickly then move the Phantom to the table and connect the usb cable and start the assistant software. I then power on the Phantom and start the calibration. I do not get the "too hot" error when doing it this way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic