Three motor flight.

Has anyone had a motor stop inflight? Where you able to RTH on the three motors?
Unfortunately it isn't physically possible to fly on just 3 motors, on a Hexacopter it is like the Typhoon H. I saw a video a while back with a guy that tried exactly that... Enjoy ;)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unfortunately it isn't physically possible to fly on just 3 motors, on a Hexacopter it is like the Typhoon H. I saw a video a while back with a guy that tried exactly that... Enjoy ;)
Thanks, Thought that was the case.

LOL, six-eight motor quads can lose two motors and stay flying, I had a hex lose two props once, it was erratic only because the motors were beside each other but I was able to bring it home, I then moved the “”broken props “” to opposite sides across from each other and didn’t have any issues at all flying!

Reactions: TontoFAC
It depends on exactly what you call "Flying". With the right software on board the Flight Controller can compensate for a motor/prop loss on a QUAD and enable a controlled flight/decent to landing. This was a HOT topic just a few years ago but I suspect someone who profits from replacement aircraft *cough DJI cough* bought the technology and shelved it.

"When the software detects that one or more of the propellers has stopped working – either because it's come off, or due to motor failure – it initially uses the remaining props to put the drone in a hovering horizontal spin. Then, by selectively altering the thrust of each propeller, it steers the quadcopter by tilting the angle of its rotation, and eases it down to a controlled landing."

What I find very interesting is how easily this could be added to a platform (it would need to be built into or added to the Flight Controller ) but it has NOT been.

"The ETH algorithm can be added to the control system of existing quadcopters, and requires no physical changes or additions to the aircraft."

So yea I'd almost bet $$ that this technology was scooped up and shelved by one of the big hitters in the industry. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back to the table when HUMAN carrying flights become "Real".

This video shows it being tested out in the field (literally):

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic