Thoughts on warranties, insurances for drones

Reaction score
I just bought a P4Pv2.0 from Best Buys and did not get the two year warranty. At $500 it seemed a bit pricey. I don't think I can get it once I went out the door but I'm not sure. Is there an aftermarket insurance and/or liability company that might have a better offering?

I got my Phantom 4 Pro almost 2 years ago at best buy. I too skipped the $500 insurance as the clerk was pretty vauge as to what it covered. So instead contacted my State Farm rep. The State Farm policy I have (as explained to me by them) is an "insured valuable" policy. In other words, you can effectively get this same insurance for laptops, cameras, tablets, and other valuable personal possessions that are designed to travel. As a side note you can add things like your laptop to the policy (it can cover more then just your drone). Having said all that, the $60 per year is based on the replacement price of the drone, in my case I went with $1500 as my insured value (if you add more to the policy like a laptop it will be more then $60 a year). If you crash your drone there is a $100 deductible. The State Farm rep told me that realistically you would get about 2 crashes (replacements) out of the deal before you are likely labeled "un-insurable". The rep said if you had really good proof that a crash/incident wasn't your fault they might go a third time (like if the airlines crushed your bag on a flight or you were in a car accident). I haven't had to use my insurance as of yet, but I will say that it really does give me peace of mind having it. I feel far more confident flying out over water or across some mountain tops knowing that if I crash it will suck but I wouldn't be out $1,500 (id still have the remote and my extra batteries). As the policy also protects against theft I don't worry as much about it being left in my truck when I travel.

Thanks for the info. I did get the DJI Refresh service agreement ($150) for a year. It looks like it covers damage from crashes. Your policy seem better but I have some piece of mind and will check State Farm as well, thanks.....Ken.

I just bought a P4Pv2.0 from Best Buys and did not get the two year warranty. At $500 it seemed a bit pricey. I don't think I can get it once I went out the door but I'm not sure. Is there an aftermarket insurance and/or liability company that might have a better offering?

You chose well. If you read the fine print on the best buy warranty it only covers something that happens while locked away in a case or safely on a shelf.

I have state farm. Covers total loss of the drone evem if it can not be recovered. It also cover theft. My entire kit is insured as well, not jyst the AC. Here in FL that plan is $75/year with no deductible.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl