Thoughts on 3.04 Firmware

I'm on 3.0.4.
Noticed the distance is max 1000m (can probably be changed in PT2), descent slowed to 2m/s.
Yesterday's flight showed 14-15m/s on the OSD, full throttle forward at tiny gusts, which is approx. 50-55km/h, which is nice.

I flew for the first time today with 3.04 and all seemed fine until I came back to land with 30% battery life indicated on the iOSD. Instead of seeing the slow flashing red LEDs they were flashing rapidly suggesting les than 15% (I've checked these values in the P2 assistant).
I've no idea if updating to 3.04 is to blame but it's the only real change I have made to the Phantom and this hasn't happened before.

WessexWyvern said:
I flew for the first time today with 3.04 and all seemed fine until I came back to land with 30% battery life indicated on the iOSD. Instead of seeing the slow flashing red LEDs they were flashing rapidly suggesting les than 15% (I've checked these values in the P2 assistant).
I've no idea if updating to 3.04 is to blame but it's the only real change I have made to the Phantom and this hasn't happened before.

Thats normal, at 15% it starts auto landing...

xtonex said:
WessexWyvern said:

Thats normal, at 15% it starts auto landing...

The iOSD was reporting 30% when the Phantom was indicating 15%. The motors quit completely at 15% (the didn't just reduce power to auto land).

I'm just curious.

It seems most of the posters here were satisfied with their Phantom 2 using the prior firmware. So, why upgrade to 3.04?

I have not upgraded anything for a few months because I am happy with the way mine performs.

All comments welcome.

Thanks

I upgrade to 3.04 from 3.02 (Phantom 2)
Advanced imu calibration after performing the update.

- first fly normal condition no wind
- fully loaded: gimbal, gopro, GPS tracker, FPV

Descend speed : remained limited to max 2m/sec. Fail safe descend speed is the same max 2m/s - so Chinese post is bullish
Improvement: Fwd and aft movement when doing the max 2m/s descent which was corrected in 3.04 - so when you execute max descend yo can move the craft.
Overall more stable fly than previous , no issues found. I had the impression that horizontal speed was limited (i reached maximum 10m/sec in GPS mode) or at least the angle for forward movement.

Happy till now with reserve of limited speed.

Kelso Kubat said:
Thats really good to know.
I also just recently had my phantom delivered on 4-30. mine was shipped with 3.02 on it ready to go. my first flight i had prop guards on with OEM 9" self tighteners. it was very windy. and i experien fed VRS about 6 minutes in when it got caught in a 40+ mph gust. tried to counter steer and locked into a VRS situation. only about 20 feet up but still really posed me off. since then i have removed the gimbal and flown naked. quad is very jerky due to its lightness i believe.
I am actually looking forward to this upgrade after hearing all the positive feedback.
gimbal is going back on Today too! :shock:

I very much doubt your quad entered a VRS state in winy conditions... a quad/helicopter normally encounters this condition when attempting to hover out of ground effect above the hovering ceiling for the aircraft, hovering out of ground effect without maintaining precise altitude control, and while making downwind or steep, powered approaches when the airspeed drops to nearly zero. With high winds the air speed will always be well above zero so VRS is nigh on impossible.

I can't find the thread again, but there was an interesting observation from someone 'just hovering' to film over a ravine.
The phantom inexplicably started to drop very much like VRS and could not be pulled out of it from controller.
The guy rushed to the edge to at least see where the wreck was - but surprise - in the ravine it had lost control signal which initiated RTH and the phantom was climbing to return!
As soon as the RTH was triggered it stabilised itself.

This is possibly highly important and suggests some kind of feedback/over-correction can start to occur with no fault from pilot.

4wd said:
I can't find the thread again, but there was an interesting observation from someone 'just hovering' to film over a ravine.
The phantom inexplicably started to drop very much like VRS and could not be pulled out of it from controller.
The guy rushed to the edge to at least see where the wreck was - but surprise - in the ravine it had lost control signal which initiated RTH and the phantom was climbing to return!
As soon as the RTH was triggered it stabilised itself.

This is possibly highly important and suggests some kind of feedback/over-correction can start to occur with no fault from pilot.

The other possibility that suggests is that the originally drop was caused by an inadvertent switch to manual mode, which will lead to fairly rapid descent even with the sticks centered.

Has anyone with 3.04 or even 3.02 with the H3-3D gimbal notice any un-commanded yaw, where the P2 rotates slightly to the left or right about 10 degrees without you telling it to. It seems to be limited to descent and ascent. Can any confirm this observation?

Ian im sure ive seen this but mine is still doing it with my retro back to 1.08. so im unsure as to what the issue is.

is anyone able to provide some concrete flight speeds? anyone able to measure it accurately? speed gun etc?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forum Fiend v1.2.7.

ianwood said:
Has anyone with 3.04 or even 3.02 with the H3-3D gimbal notice any un-commanded yaw, where the P2 rotates slightly to the left or right about 10 degrees without you telling it to. It seems to be limited to descent and ascent. Can any confirm this observation?

I am running 2.0 and i'm experiencing exactly what you are stating, not only that but some vrs when turning or thorttling up or down, noticed it three days ago and today, i am loosing trust on these things

Sana

Good to know. Thanks guys. Anyone else seeing yaw wobble with H3-3D and 3.04 or earlier?

Took it out for another test today, basically a fresh unit, new shell, prop guards on, std DJI props.

The Gimbal still looks like it's not centered and is slightly to the left (like you say, around 5-10deg at most) but it flew just fine. It wasn't hovering too well, but I could put that down to it being a little breezy. Not high winds, but it's the first time i've really flown it where there's been much at all.

Aside from that, in GPS, ATTI and FS, it flew just fine, there was no bend to the left (just on the gimbal)

I'm thinking of loading 3.04 back on to give it a fresh test for comparisons sake and see what I come up with. Now that I know the process, it won't be hard to go between the two. The last time I had 3.04 it wasn't off a fresh Adv. calib.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the gimbal in conjunction with 3.04.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj