Potiential 2.4Ghz issue on P4P?

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've had my P4P since ordering new 5/18/2017 and have been rather lucky with no major issues aside from 2 of my batteries swelling last year after stationary time-lapse in the Florida heat (has anybody ever heard of this before?).

Anyway, fired up the drone to take some real estate shots last week and started getting immediate glitching and interference. Totally unusable, I chalked it up to a one-time thing or crazy interference in the area and brought back home. Tried flying again at home 20mi away and very similar issue, although perhaps not quite as bad. I was fortunate and had another drone/remote to try so I linked them up and same issue. Then thought to try 5Ghz which I never really bother with since I haven't had a issue with 2.4 in all my years flying and things seemed to clear up. It's really windy so haven't wanted to test at distance (in case video goes out), but has anybody heard of a certain band causing issues on their drone? Oh and the other P4P I can test with is fine on 2.4.

I can go take a video if you think that would help, but I'm kinda thinking 2.4 antenna/chip issue and haven't found much in my searching.

Thanks!
Sean

Reactions: Hounddog
If you have a cell phone nearby, try shutting it of and see if that helps. If you're flying using a phone or tablet, try turning the WiFi off.

Should have mentioned I did a firmware refresh last night, and I tried using a Pro+ controller (so no cellular data) and same results. So I was able to narrow it down with pretty good certainty to the drone, but just curious if there's any quick fixes at home I could look into for the 2.4 antenna by chance?

You should fly 5.8Ghz anyway. P4P has always worked better on 5.8. Your problem with 2.4 is likely interference from your phone or iPad/tablet with Wi-Fi enabled, endlessly hunting for an access point channel to connect to, which interferes with the video downlink. It's a common issue.

Reactions: Starz
You should fly 5.8Ghz anyway. P4P has always worked better on 5.8. Your problem with 2.4 is likely interference from your phone or iPad/tablet with Wi-Fi enabled, endlessly hunting for an access point channel to connect to, which interferes with the video downlink. It's a common issue.
Usually, 2.4ghz gets you longer distance but it's more subject to interference. 5.8ghz you get shorter distance, but less interference. If you fly in congested areas and have issues, flip to 5.8ghz. If you're in the country, 2.4 works much better. YMMV...

Reactions: justinca2013
Yep that all makes sense, but I'm telling ya I have another P4P in my posession for another day or two and one is great on 2.4 and the other is basically garbage (mine of course). Going to record a video tomorrow to give an idea, but I've pretty well narrowed it down to my drone, I just need to test 5.8 more and see if the problem is totally gone or if it was just fine for the few min in my original test. Couldn't fly today due to rain and wind.

The antennas are in the legs, maybe there's a bad connection in one of them. Take a lQQk here..

Usually, 2.4ghz gets you longer distance but it's more subject to interference. 5.8ghz you get shorter distance, but less interference. If you fly in congested areas and have issues, flip to 5.8ghz. If you're in the country, 2.4 works much better. YMMV...
That has not been my experience. Same is true with Gadget Guy. Both of my P4P craft get way better range and connection stability with 5.8Ghz. On 2.4 my P4P consistently has worse range than my old P3P on 2.4, disappointing. If it wasn't for 5.8, I would not own two of them.

Ocu-sync on my Mavic2 is even better than 5.8 lightbridge on P4P.

These comparisons are with parabolic dishes installed.

Ok I was wrong about 5.8 being any better. Seems something is seriously wrong with the my drone, here's a video showing the issue.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Guessing this needs professional repair?

It looked like you had a good connection the whole time, but if you wanted to It could be an antenna connection in one of the legs, and it's easy to check. Just pop off the covers and reveal the screw that holds them on. Make sure that you know which cover came from which leg, as the are different.

Last edited:
So just to update, I took off each of the antenna covers (kinda a PITA) and checked those connections all good. Even took off the gimbal to check the connections under there and everything looks good. So I think the only thing I could test next would be a full gimbal replacement which I could maybe do this weekend with a friends, otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Anything else I should look at? Best bet for repair if I go that route just to call up DJI?

Have you ever crashed, or had a hard landing? Maybe it's just a bad/loose gimbal cable? Certainly worth checking before sending it in to DJI, which I would suggest as the next rational step. FWIW, I've had nothing but good experiences with DJI repair services. They will send you a prepaid shipping label, and when they evaluate it, and will quote you a price. If you care to go with it, it usually only takes a day (every time they sent me a brand new drone, not my repaired one!) and ship it back free. YMMV.. Good Luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31