Thoughts about using an iPad 4 mini as a screen?

Perfect for a P3P. Non glare screen too..

It's a great device and the screen is just the right size (for me) when I need a screen that's larger than my phone. The iPad Mini 4 is also currently the most liked device in this list.

Reactions: Phantom2USA
I am assuming WiFi (not cellular)?
I have a cellular model (since it has GPS), but the cell service is not activated. If you're never going to use the Follow Me flight mode or need to reset the home point to your current location after taking off, then a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini would be good enough.

I use the iPad mini cellular (Mini 2 and 4). The original controller bracket works great with the mini. The iPads need a little more brightness so I use the shades. Also use the mini with the Mavic and Spark using the clamp-in bracket.

I have a celullar version, but I use it mainly for map loading on site, which you can cache at your house prior going to the site.
And with a Wi-Fi only device, it can be connected to a phone if a hotspot can be set up on it. It's an option to keep in mind if you forget to cache the maps and need them once out in the field.

Reactions: Ansia
I'm in the same boat. Think I've narrowed it down to a mini. Only negative I've read on the 4 is that it gets a little warmer than the 2 or 3 (newer/faster processor). May cause an overheat message and screen shut down when it's hot outside.
Again, this is what I've read. Have no personal experience. Assume keeping it under some sort of shade would cure this.

I'm in the same boat. Think I've narrowed it down to a mini. Only negative I've read on the 4 is that it gets a little warmer than the 2 or 3 (newer/faster processor). May cause an overheat message and screen shut down when it's hot outside.
Again, this is what I've read. Have no personal experience. Assume keeping it under some sort of shade would cure this.

I was stated off with a normal smart phone, then went to the mini 2 love the size. Upgrade to a p4v2 and the mini 2 didn’t have enough processing power. The DJI guy said I could go for a mini 4 or iPad 5th gen or newer. I went with the full iPad for a few reason. I got a new one gen 6 for 200 off of face book market that was brand new in the box never open and the mini was around 300. The iPad has bigger screen it just fits fits in brackets fully open. To be honest if you already have the mini 4 definitely use it. I did have to use a sun shade. I think at time the iPad can be a bit cumbersome with its size. Also it doesn’t fit in my travel case without cutting more room. Last thing I highly recommend picking up some sort of harness if you don’t have one. It nice with the new weight of the control with iPad or mini.

Last edited:
Reactions: CR125Honda
I had the Plus (built-in display) controller with the 1st version of the P4P. But when I got the P4P V2.0, I went with the standard controller. And I got an iPad Mini 4 (WiFi version) to use with it. So far, I have really enjoyed using the iPad Mini 4. I use the sun shade with it for bright sunlight. And the size seems perfect for this use.

Trying to use a Samsung S2 with no luck and getting a bit frustrated, I reluctantly bought a mini 4 wanting to stick with android. I think it was the best route as I have never had any issues with it at all. I rarely use the mini for anything else but to edit photos when being hasty and not at my computer.
I shoot in raw but when I think I might use the mini for editing I'll also shoot jpg. The editor in the mini does a good job.

I am a newbie and I have an Amazon Fire 8 second generation on my P4 Std. The picture is nice. It's about sixty dollars now so it is probably the cheapest one out there. The fire 7 is about forty dollars and except for the screen size is pretty much the same as the 8. The battery lasts about six hours. I haven't tried all of the extras, like tap fly or routes, but so far everything works. I have to watch my pennies, and that is why I went for the Fire.

After starting out with my LG Stylo 4 I got tired of squinting real fast. With a little homework I found there s a huge supply of used iPad minis out there. Through Best Buy I got a mini 4 WiFi + Cellular unlocked with 128gb for just over $300. I made sure it was A stock to insure it was as close to new as possible. I don’t have the cellular active at the advice of 2 friends using the same device with their respective DJI drones. I on an older iPad Pro and I as concerned with the weight and size f it while operating my P4P. I’m quite happy with it here and the United boy thing I foresee needing is a sun shade. Overheating will not be an issue for me. When it gets hot out here in the low desert my butt stays inside where it’s cool. It hits 120+ here s the summer and I don’t go out when it’s that hot.

For our government and commercial clients we always recommend the iPad Mini 4. Size wise it is not to big and not to small. Also, DJI Drones do work the best with Apple products!

I have used a Mini 4, and iPhone, and the Epson BT-300 glasses. No device, except the Epson BT-300 glasses, used with a big brim baseball cap, worked well in bright sunny days. All forms of glare shields or anti-glare screens failed to enable the kind of crisp, saturated, non-glare presentation that is possible with the BT-300. Having said that, the BT-300 is the most expensive and takes the most setup or take down time.

When doing still photography, I find the requirement to fly to capture position and back can most easily be done with a simple iPhone. Most of my flying is strictly VLOS as I use the drone as an extended tripod. The iPhone satisfies all requirements necessary to frame the shot when the camera is in position.

When doing video photography, most video is taken in short clips. Again, an iPhone is a simple device, combined with VLOS to position the camera for the start of a "take". Then, the actual short video capture efforts can be run by the drone's Intelligent Flight Modes. No need for BT-300's or a larger screen such as an iPad.

iPad mini 4 works great and I have them, but I prefer the 9.7 inch gen 6. On sale at Amazon for $249. The bigger screen allows my fingers to touch only one control at a time on the crowded display. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl