This won't be good for the hobby if true

Hopefully it was not a drone. It looks like the impact area was too large for a typical drone but who knows. If it was a drone, then the drone fragments will be inside that nose cone.

If it was a drone, then all of the opponents will immediately be jumping all over it. Instead of punishing the bad actors, they want to just prohibit all drone flying. Why don't we just ban all laser pointers because it's easy to point one at a plane and disorient the pilot?
Yup. I was just lazed last month by idiots in a car. Very dangerous. That is one reason why as a commercial corporate pilot, I’m all for the Geo fencing. I just hope it is rolled out and implemented correctly in a way that makes sense but I’m not holding my breath.

I reckon it become unmanned if that happen,,got curious and went searching,,I found this similar pic of mid air cave in,,NO impact,,,,we'll no more planes for me lol..since no evidence at the scene this what probly happenView attachment 106296
I'm having trouble understanding the message you were trying to convey here. Could you maybe word it differently?

Possible UAV collision with Aeromexico 737

Not sure what altitude it was passing through when it was struck but the lack of any feathers or blood, combined with the scuffing on the actual radar panel itself is troubling.
It would have to be a very very big drone to do that, I am thinking goose I know you can't see blood but have they cleaned it!!

It would have to be a very very big drone to do that, I am thinking goose I know you can't see blood but have they cleaned it!!

Actually even a medium-sized drone (or a goose) would have significantly damaged the dome. They are relatively fragile. And no - I'm quite sure they haven't cleaned it for the photos - they will leave it untouched for the investigators.

The pilots confirm to the tower that they heard a loud noise but did not see anything. They would have to take pieces of a drone from inside the nose cone to confirm it hit a drone.

Possible UAV collision with Aeromexico 737

Not sure what altitude it was passing through when it was struck but the lack of any feathers or blood, combined with the scuffing on the actual radar panel itself is troubling.
I have read statements form Professional A&P Mechanics who state..." Catastrophic nosecone Radome failure is common, due to the nature of the materials being quite thin"

Reactions: O6-Hammerhead
Fake news??? I’d bet money this happened on the ground when the AC impacted something (not the other way around)
That would seem much less likely than bird strikes or structural failure which are quite common incidents.
I can't see many aircrew continuing to fly, knowing they had incurred collision damage like that or that no-one else on the ground would have noticed

Another thing to think about, the odds are already slim of a mid-air collision with an aircraft traveling approximately 200 miles per hour with a relatively small cross-sectional area to impact. On top of that, the odds are even smaller that the point of the supposed drone impact is on the same part of the aircraft that frequently experiences failure anyway. I think news agencies are increasingly desperate and they know that the word "drone" will immediately get more hits to their story. I'll check back in a couple of weeks to see if this was ever verified, I doubt it will be.

Reactions: O6-Hammerhead
Another thing to think about, the odds are already slim of a mid-air collision with an aircraft traveling approximately 200 miles per hour with a relatively small cross-sectional area to impact. On top of that, the odds are even smaller that the point of the supposed drone impact is on the same part of the aircraft that frequently experiences failure anyway. I think news agencies are increasingly desperate and they know that the word "drone" will immediately get more hits to their story. I'll check back in a couple of weeks to see if this was ever verified, I doubt it will be.

In the radio transmission between the pilot and tower the pilot says he has damage to the “radome”. An inexperienced journalist in aircraft terminology could have mistook it to be damage by a drone. This is a possibility.

In the radio transmission between the pilot and tower the pilot says he has damage to the “radome”. An inexperienced journalist in aircraft terminology could have mistook it to be damage by a drone. This is a possibility.
I heard the original recording of the talk between the tower and pilots. As you said, they talked about the radome and never mentiones a drone.

I heard the original recording of the talk between the tower and pilots. As you said, they talked about the radome and never mentiones a drone.

You are correct, the pilot never mentioned a drone. But don’t tell that to the journalist or his/her editor. Them newspapers are selling as fast as hot pancakes on Sunday morning.

Are you telling us this happened to that plane from no impact at all? If that's actually true it makes me think twice about flying as well!

This type of damage is common, the cover of the radome is only a thin plastic not aluminium like the rest of the aircraft if they made them the same as the rest of the aircraft then the radar would not work. this could have been caused by a large hailstone which is common at high altitude when the air temp is well below freezing point but the water vapour has nothing to condense against most hailstone start with water vapour condensing on a small bit of dust once it has started the hail just starts getting larger especially if there is not much dust in the air.

Reactions: 3rdof5
You are correct, the pilot never mentioned a drone. But don’t tell that to the journalist or his/her editor. Them newspapers are selling as fast as hot pancakes on Sunday morning.

Who still buys newspapers?

Reactions: Meta4
Who still buys newspapers?

About 11,527,744 here in the states, but this happened in Mexico so I couldn’t answer that.

IMG_0272.jpg

Not visit (free) websites... BUY a paper?

Anyways, aggregate circulation today is falling. Currently down 25% below the 1940's levels of 41 million units while at the same time US population grew 2.5X from 132.1 to 329.0 Million.

Not a growth industry.

Not visit (free) websites... BUY a paper?

Anyways, aggregate circulation today is falling. Currently down 25% below the 1940's levels of 41 million units while at the same time US population grew 2.5X from 132.1 to 329.0 Million.

Not a growth industry.

Actually it has increased a little over 4% from 2012-2017

IMG_0273.jpg

I subscribe to the WSJ digital edition

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
Not discussing revenues.

My rhetorical question was "who stills buys a paper?"

In 1940 about 41 million Americans- with a U.S. population of 132 Million... About 1 out of 3.
In 2017 about 30 million Americans- with a U.S. population of 329 Million... About 1 out of 11.

This data comes from the site referenced in post #65.

I thank the moderators for tolerating this topic-shift and will cease here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing