This won't be good for the hobby if true

I am shocked, i seriously had no idea that manned AC were actually that fragile.
That part of the aircraft is not structural, It maintains aerodynamics while providing minimal RF attenuation so as to not compromise the radar performance. It should be no surprise to learn that it will sustain serious damage form an impact.

Interesting since the final approach is across the border in california. I was surprised at how close the runway is to the border when i looked at it a few months ago on Google.
There is actually a parking facility in California with a walkway across the border to allow U.S. resident to use TIJ without having to drive across.

Reactions: Timinator
Looking at the FlightRadar24 track, all but the last few hundred yards of the the flight’s final approach to TIJ was over California.

Thanks for posting that. Glad to know that there is no evidence of a strike by a sUAS.

I think we should wait for the official report. To me it looks like simple structural failure rather than an impact but on the other hand one would expect that to happen during the high-speed cruise phase of flight rather than low-speed short final. It would probably be more accurate to say that no evidence has yet been reported either way.

The damage is done the media said DRONE that's all it takes you wont hear no more about it.
Absolutely correct. There have been many verified close calls reported, and now they think they have a smoking gun. (Removed by Moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting... i suppose if fragments of a Govt drone on security missions was found in that nose it would be kept quiet. And since we have no evidence on what was found, other than no bird fragements, we will never know.
Any USA drone would be larger than that and cause more damage plus the USA knows the flight paths of commercial aircraft and would avoid the area

This was terrible reporting by ALL news outlets. I saw the story on ABC last night. First it started off with Drone Strikes Commercial Plane, then it says maybe, then it says, they don't know, then the news does a story on how dangerous drones are, not knowing at all if this was a drone strike, not all bird hits leave blood or feathers. Addtionally news outlets in the US were all over this story, It happened in Mexica, in Tijuana, not in USA, not exactly in an area know for "strict" law enforcement. For this story to get any kind of traction in USA is sad and sucks. I work in the media, and already have an email not my sources at ABC and NBC. So maybe those of us on this board should stop debating and or promoting this "unconfirmed, story" every post on this site, is a google search for 'drones crashing into planes' including the one I just posted.

Reactions: Martin_W
In case anyone is worried about a civilian operated drone striking a commercial aircraft and doing enough damage to bring it down need not worry.Those planes can sustain an incredible impact and still safely land.Does anyone remember the Hawaiian airlines incident many years back that aircraft lost about a third of its starboard fuselage and still made a safe landing.God bless superior American engineering.

This was terrible reporting by ALL news outlets. I saw the story on ABC last night. First it started off with Drone Strikes Commercial Plane, then it says maybe, then it says, they don't know, then the news does a story on how dangerous drones are, not knowing at all if this was a drone strike, not all bird hits leave blood or feathers. Addtionally news outlets in the US were all over this story, It happened in Mexica, in Tijuana, not in USA, not exactly in an area know for "strict" law enforcement. For this story to get any kind of traction in USA is sad and sucks. I work in the media, and already have an email not my sources at ABC and NBC. So maybe those of us on this board should stop debating and or promoting this "unconfirmed, story" every post on this site, is a google search for 'drones crashing into planes' including the one I just posted.
For those of you that don’t know the geographical proximity of Tijuana and San Diego And also some of the smaller US border towns,They are dangerously close when it comes to a reckless or inexperienced drone operator.Anything is possible.

[Not sure what altitude it was passing through when it was struck but the lack of any feathers or blood, combined with the scuffing on the actual radar panel itself is troubling.[/QUOTE]

Whether or not it was a drone, this made national news as a drone collision. ABC spun it as a huge problem due to people not following the law.

And yet the major news outlets sensationalize this type of news and blame it on drones, when no real evidence is present, therefore jeopardizing our hobby. Last night NBC went on and on about how dangerous drones are and how drone sightings and collisions had increased some 74% from last year. They completely deomonized them.

The hysteria here is similar.
Folks predict the 'end' of the hobby/drones/etc. anytime there is negative press.

Ain't gonna happen.

The issue is that those who don't follow FAA rules, like flying beyond VLOS, above people and populated areas, and above 400' are creating a heightened sense of hysteria when they see a drone. I know of a recent case where, without established cause, a policeman summoned a drone pilot who will need to pay a $4000 retainer fee to a law firm just to expunge a needless charge. This high level of tension regarding drone flight is particularly present in urban and suburban locations. It's very bad for our hobby.

Fake news??? I’d bet money this happened on the ground when the AC impacted something (not the other way around)

I hope you don't wager often because that really is a silly theory. You think that a passenger airliner rammed something on the ground, at a major airport, and no one noticed?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT