This won't be good for the hobby if true

Hopefully it was not a drone. It looks like the impact area was too large for a typical drone but who knows. If it was a drone, then the drone fragments will be inside that nose cone.

If it was a drone, then all of the opponents will immediately be jumping all over it. Instead of punishing the bad actors, they want to just prohibit all drone flying. Why don't we just ban all laser pointers because it's easy to point one at a plane and disorient the pilot?

Hopefully it was not a drone. It looks like the impact area was too large for a typical drone but who knows. If it was a drone, then the drone fragments will be inside that nose cone.

If it was a drone, then all of the opponents will immediately be jumping all over it. Instead of punishing the bad actors, they want to just prohibit all drone flying. Why don't we just ban all laser pointers because it's easy to point one at a plane and disorient the pilot?
Because of the way the radome is constructed, they will have a larger impact zone than other parts of the aircraft. Even a bird as small as a starling will create a decent size crater.

Already banned laser pointers here,happens a bit in NZ with people aiming at aircraft, funny thing is they still sell them cheap as chips

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Question is, if its clearly not a bird or a drone, then what else could it have been? Oddly, just this morning I just happened to catch a glimpse of a few meteors burning up fairly low in the sky and thought (for the first time ever) what would they do to manned aircraft if they hit it?

I reckon it become unmanned if that happen,,got curious and went searching,,I found this similar pic of mid air cave in,,NO impact,,,,we'll no more planes for me lol..since no evidence at the scene this what probly happen
Screenshot_20181214-115817.jpg

I reckon it become unmanned if that happen,,got curious and went searching,,I found this similar pic of mid air cave in,,NO impact,,,,we'll no more planes for me lol..since no evidence at the scene this what probly happenView attachment 106296
Are you telling us this happened to that plane from no impact at all? If that's actually true it makes me think twice about flying as well!

Are you telling us this happened to that plane from no impact at all? If that's actually true it makes me think twice about flying as well!
It can happen from a simple hail strike previously. and because it is right at the point, and is not made of metal, they can collapse. Since there is a radar unit right behind the dome, they are made of very thin and lightweight material.

I reckon it become unmanned if that happen,,got curious and went searching,,I found this similar pic of mid air cave in,,NO impact,,,,we'll no more planes for me lol..since no evidence at the scene this what probly happenView attachment 106296
I think there is too much tearing on the Aeromexico 738 radome for it to be a simple collapse without collision. Because of the shape, I don't ever recall seeing a 738 radome collapse without impact of some sort.

Question is, if its clearly not a bird or a drone, then what else could it have been? Oddly, just this morning I just happened to catch a glimpse of a few meteors burning up fairly low in the sky and thought (for the first time ever) what would they do to manned aircraft if they hit it?

That's a ridiculous suggestion - the probability is infinitesimal. It was obviously a frozen chicken.

Gezz check these out,comes up with Google search,,can see bird strike one but others are there so must happen more than we think,,,,note the one I circle,,lol,,nothing to small,,,this some thing airports rather keep quiet on,,
Screenshot_20181214-141909.jpg

Gezz check these out,comes up with Google search,,can see bird strike one but others are there so must happen more than we think,,,,note the one I circle,,lol,,nothing to small,,,this some thing airports rather keep quiet on,,View attachment 106302
Lol wow!!!

This thought was on another forum.....
If it was a drone could it have been a US government drone. See the TFR on the border 8/0241 NOTAM Details
Interesting... i suppose if fragments of a Govt drone on security missions was found in that nose it would be kept quiet. And since we have no evidence on what was found, other than no bird fragements, we will never know.

The radome cover is not a structural element of the plane - just a lightweight fibreglass cover.
Here's another damaged nose cone that was widely reported as a drone impact nearly two years ago:
The Aviation Herald

The investigation came up with this finding:
Mozambique's Civil Aviation Authority concluded the radome most probably failed as result of a structural failure caused by air flow pressure, contributing factors probably were a defective installation of the radome and inspection of the ribs.

The radome cover is not a structural element of the plane - just a lightweight fibreglass cover.
Here's another damaged nose cone that was widely reported as a drone impact nearly two years ago:
The Aviation Herald

The investigation came up with this finding:
Mozambique's Civil Aviation Authority concluded the radome most probably failed as result of a structural failure caused by air flow pressure, contributing factors probably were a defective installation of the radome and inspection of the ribs.
I am shocked, i seriously had no idea that manned AC were actually that fragile.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj