Third flight first crash

sgf

Reaction score
I took my P3s out today. I am still flying on beginner mode but I still managed to mess up. I was flying around mostly trying to get a feel for the controls. I landed, restarted and took off and basically did practice drills. All was going great. At one point my battery warning went off. Since I am new to this drone when the battery warning sounds I bring it in and stop flying.

I was near to but I thought safely away from a tree. Unfortunately I moved the stick in the wrong direction and got closer to the tree but I didn't hit it. The light and the thin branches made it difficult to see so I had a not so brilliant idea. I thought I'd use return to home. The moment I did that it increased altitude, which I totally forgot about, and hit branches then fell to the ground. The fall was probably twelve feet to the top of a low roof then four or five more feet to the ground. The only damage I can see is the tip of one rotor/prop broke off.

All this was to ask, is there anything I need to do before flying again, other than replacing the blade? I’m going to search this topic as well but any input is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

I would replace all blades. They are cheap. Then fire the system up and see if you get any IMU or accelerometer errors. If not, I would run an IMU calibration anyway.

Reactions: Dad12345 and RodPad
Download and read the manual from top to bottom, then read it again and take notes. There is an app in the play store called DJI pre-flight. Down load it and go through it before flying. As far as your UAV goes I would give it a thorough inspection and then if all is well take it to a safe (no trees) area and take a low and slow test flight.

Tobby

Reactions: mmtphoto
Thanks guys. I'll do as you recommend. Regarding the manual reading I spent hours reading it as well as on line and watching videos before ever turning the drone on. This accident was just plain old screwing up I'm afraid.

It is now asking for a firmware upgrade so I guess I'll need to do that first.

I would suggest you hold off on the FW update. Check out everything I suggested and do a test flight. That way if something goes wrong after the FW update, you will know if it was the update, or the crash. Keep your variables to a minimum. After you are confident the craft is OK, then proceed to the update. FW updates are not mandatory.

When you get around to turning everything on to test it, do so WITHOUT the props. Then if everything seems fine, put the props on and fly it half as far and half as high as you think you should. Then if all is well, maybe you can conclude your Phantom is not damaged.
Here is a post regarding crashes I've put on several other newbie threads today:
I was heart broken when I crashed on my second flight, but I got the Phantom 2V repaired quickly, easily, and not especially expensively. Then I crashed again, was heart broken, but got it repaired again. Fortunately no damage on the third crash. All those crashes were within 3 weeks 3 years ago when I first started and all were pilot error - I zigged when I should have zagged. No crashes since, and I feel very confident and experienced to a point where I'll fly any time, anywhere, and among any obstacles. Patience, experience, attention to the manual, advice on this forum, and MSinger's site will get you past your inevitable crashes, too. Dying is part of living; crashing is part of flying.
Here are a couple tips from me. I have tested and used RTH but I much prefer to control the Phantom myself, so I always keep it in sight and then bring home and land it without RTH. When I'm not sure which way it is pointed relative to where I wish to go, I tap the left or right stick, and if it goes the opposite way I want it to go, then I know its orientation and what then what I have to do to make it fly where I want. Another little tip: Increase the length of the sticks 1/8" to 1/4" by unscrewing the top of the stick, then screw up the lower half the screw to tighten it. I believe lengthened sticks provide more sensitive control.

I would suggest you hold off on the FW update. Check out everything I suggested and do a test flight. That way if something goes wrong after the FW update, you will know if it was the update, or the crash. Keep your variables to a minimum. After you are confident the craft is OK, then proceed to the update. FW updates are not mandatory.
The troubleshooting side of my brain told me to test then troubleshoot as you advise. I guess I was a bit nervous about not updating. As you're no doubt aware, there is the "never do the updates as they cause problems" camp and the "do them so you don't have problems" camp. Since I doubt they can't wait for one test flight I'll take your good advice. Truth be told all the reading has made me abit nervous about updates, but I will do it after the test. Thanks.

The troubleshooting side of my brain told me to test then troubleshoot as you advise. I guess I was a bit nervous about not updating. As you're no doubt aware, there is the "never do the updates as they cause problems" camp and the "do them so you don't have problems" camp. Since I doubt they can't wait for one test flight I'll take your good advice. Truth be told all the reading has made me abit nervous about updates, but I will do it after the test. Thanks.

Actually, I am a proponent of updating when advised. I updated my P3P before I ever flew it because "the system told me to". I firmly believe that if the update is installed properly there is no reason for it not to work. In your case I would make sure everything works first. Good luck.

I agree. When it comes to firmware updates I almost always go with the manufacturer's recommendation. That said the Phantom updates seem to have more than their fair share of serious issues. Fingers crossed!

Actually, I am a proponent of updating when advised. I updated my P3P before I ever flew it because "the system told me to". I firmly believe that if the update is installed properly there is no reason for it not to work. In your case I would make sure everything works first. Good luck.
P3P, P3A I agree, P3S works fine for many, but I have seen enough, I will never upgrade firmware again, unless I have a spare to fly.

Fly-it or Fryware it.

Rod

Don't want to throw the thread off topic but my personal opinion on updates to avoid the latest ones, I know a few adv/pro threads have talked about lost range from updates and a DJI rep mentioned CE mode was reduced for the standard with a later update if i remember correctly. DJI just wants you to buy their latest release and there is nothing saying they can't "encourage" you to buy the latest phantom with some firmware updates.

Reactions: PhantomMenace65
And there in lies the problem. Opinions on updates vary widly. Seems like a flip of a coin.

Nope, even skinny branches don't move as me and my P3s can attest to.

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks guys. I'll do as you recommend. Regarding the manual reading I spent hours reading it as well as on line and watching videos before ever turning the drone on. This accident was just plain old screwing up I'm afraid.

It is now asking for a firmware upgrade so I guess I'll need to do that first.

don't upgrade till after you have flown it again. don't introduce variables. is it not working becasue of crash or upgrade?
Use a magnifying glass, and check all the arms under motors and screw wells for any cracking.
Balance 4 new props. Buy lottery ticket if everything checks out.

Last edited:
And there in lies the problem. Opinions on updates vary widly. Seems like a flip of a coin.

Nope, even skinny branches don't move as me and my P3s can attest to.

Chain saw gets the last word though. They don't do it twice.

When you get around to turning everything on to test it, do so WITHOUT the props. Then if everything seems fine, put the props on and fly it half as far and half as high as you think you should. Then if all is well, maybe you can conclude your Phantom is not damaged.
Here is a post regarding crashes I've put on several other newbie threads today:
I was heart broken when I crashed on my second flight, but I got the Phantom 2V repaired quickly, easily, and not especially expensively. Then I crashed again, was heart broken, but got it repaired again. Fortunately no damage on the third crash. All those crashes were within 3 weeks 3 years ago when I first started and all were pilot error - I zigged when I should have zagged. No crashes since, and I feel very confident and experienced to a point where I'll fly any time, anywhere, and among any obstacles. Patience, experience, attention to the manual, advice on this forum, and MSinger's site will get you past your inevitable crashes, too. Dying is part of living; crashing is part of flying.
Here are a couple tips from me. I have tested and used RTH but I much prefer to control the Phantom myself, so I always keep it in sight and then bring home and land it without RTH. When I'm not sure which way it is pointed relative to where I wish to go, I tap the left or right stick, and if it goes the opposite way I want it to go, then I know its orientation and what then what I have to do to make it fly where I want. Another little tip: Increase the length of the sticks 1/8" to 1/4" by unscrewing the top of the stick, then screw up the lower half the screw to tighten it. I believe lengthened sticks provide more sensitive control.

Patience, experience, attention-that says it all

I took my P3s out today. I am still flying on beginner mode but I still managed to mess up. I was flying around mostly trying to get a feel for the controls. I landed, restarted and took off and basically did practice drills. All was going great. At one point my battery warning went off. Since I am new to this drone when the battery warning sounds I bring it in and stop flying.

I was near to but I thought safely away from a tree. Unfortunately I moved the stick in the wrong direction and got closer to the tree but I didn't hit it. The light and the thin branches made it difficult to see so I had a not so brilliant idea. I thought I'd use return to home. The moment I did that it increased altitude, which I totally forgot about, and hit branches then fell to the ground. The fall was probably twelve feet to the top of a low roof then four or five more feet to the ground. The only damage I can see is the tip of one rotor/prop broke off.

All this was to ask, is there anything I need to do before flying again, other than replacing the blade? I’m going to search this topic as well but any input is appreciated.

I had the same problem. So, I tested it after the fall and flies. But, last week when I turn on my P3S, it was need to update. So I updated the aircraft and now don´t turn on. Doesn´t work.

I had the same problem. So, I tested it after the fall and flies. But, last week when I turn on my P3S, it was need to update. So I updated the aircraft and now don´t turn on. Doesn´t work.

Welcome to the forum!

And what, the Phantom won't turn on?

Does the battery?

Got some more details

Maybe you should start a new thread, well maybe not it is related.

Rod

I got home from work early enough today to fly the P3S. I am happy to report that everything went well. I am still flying in beginner mode. I'd like to increase range some but I am going to stay in beginner mode for a while.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31