Third compass...still won't calibrate

Reaction score
I purchased my Phantom in January, purchased a GoPro Black Edition to go with it, and began filming. No problem, except for jello which I cured with balanced carbon fiber props and a camera isolating mount. After a hard landing, I noticed the Phantom began to drift in GPS mode, so I went to DJI, downloaded the new drivers and software and started my calibration process. I noticed I had a compass error, tried hours to degauss it with a magnet, before ordering a new compass. After installing the new compass, I had the same problem. I tried advanced calibration outside with with a portable computer...same problem.

Two bad compasses? One last try with a third compass, still no luck. So here I am scratching my head, wondering what to do next. I was hoping somebody here would have a solution so I won't need to send it back to DJI, for them to look at.

One other problem I am having is getting version 3.16 to work. I use 3.14, and it works fine, but 3.16 won't read my hand controller.

Help!!

Thanks,
Steve

Do you get GPS lock?
Check the compass cable to the GPS module for loose or broken connections, bad solder joints.

If your using 3.16 you need to make sure you load default parameter file from the GJI website. Are you using the stock Rx/Tx? if you are and you haven't loaded the file then the software sets the Rx to D-sub when it should be set to PPM. Check in the software what it's set on? On d-sub I couldn't get the compass to enter calibration mode on PPM it works fine.

Thanks for the suggestions. The compass comes with a new wire, so I replaced the old wire with the new wire. While I had the Phantom open, I checked for loose connections, and everything looked good. I still had the compass error, so I installed 3.16, and still had the compass error. I did not import the calibrations from the zip file on the DJI site. I'm having a bit of a dilemma opening the Zip files, with the program I'm using. I don't see how this file would effect my compass calibration problem however.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. It's starting to look like I'm going to need an expert look at it. Send it to DJI for repairs? Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Centralcoast said:
I did not import the calibrations from the zip file on the DJI site. I'm having a bit of a dilemma opening the Zip files, with the program I'm using. I don't see how this file would effect my compass calibration problem however.

You should definitely try loading the default configuration file.

What kind of trouble are you having with the zip file? Windows should be able to decompress it for you, so you have the .nazam file which you need to upload.

I found on another blog for a Naza M Lite controller in a non-Phantom application that if you can't calibrate the compass try turning the IOC to off, then calibrate it. Afterwards turn the IOC back on. You need to do this in the Naza M Assistant software. I was having the same issue and I just now tried it and it worked! I'm going to have to recalibrate it outside tomorrow, but it allowed me to do the dance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl