Thinking of a change

Reaction score
Thinking of getting rid of the P3A and getting a Mavic, will I like it, will I hate it ?

People who have gone from one to the other what did you find was better and what do you miss .

My favorite thing about it is the size. It's nice to be able to carry something smaller when I go places where I don't want to haul a large case/backpack.

Something I miss about it is the ability to easily hold a tablet. That can be easily accomplished by attaching a 3rd party tablet mount each time I fly. To avoid that additional setup time, I usually just fly it with my iPhone 7. Depending on the size of the tablet, it's possible to wedge some of them (e.g. iPad Mini 4) into the remote controller arms. I don't like how the remote controller feels with the tablet wedged between my arms, so I rarely do that.

I kept my P3 and bought a Mavic. Love them both. You won't regret getting a Mavic, but whether or not you get rid of the P3 is a personal financial decision. I use the Mavic more, mostly because of its portability, but I do like playing with the P3 when going out for an afternoon of flying. If it's one or the other, I'd go with the Mavic Pro.

The mavic is great, but from what I have heard you can change the focus point, and so you need to remember to set it to infinity before you fly...but it's size makes it a great drone. Also beware of high winds on the Mavic because it can not handle as much as the p3

Ive just got my Mavic Pro fly combo, so only been in the air a couple of times, I;m having huge delay issues, not the Mavic's fault. After flying virtually blind, I pull out my P3A/Nividia combo & fly, fly, fly.
I love the Phantom, for its sheer power,(20 mph winds last night & the big girl just eats the air in ATT mode)accuracy & size!
I;m sure, once I sort out the Mavic, I will come to love flying it, with all its untried modes to look forward to.
But, flying the P3A, especially in ATT mode, is an expeirence I cannot give up.

The mavic is great, but from what I have heard you can change the focus point, and so you need to remember to set it to infinity before you fly
That's how it worked when it was first released. There is now a setting to make it auto focus on the center of the frame.

Reactions: Numone
ive only flown my p3 once since getting a mavic. its collecting dust. i may donate it to a local middle school robotics program. i love my mavic.

Reactions: Neon Euc and Oso
ive only flown my p3 once since getting a mavic. its collecting dust. i may donate it to a local middle school robotics program. i love my mavic.

Hey Dig any good distances or flight times with the Mav? Or is it just for flyin around and filmin stuff?

Reactions: Digdat0
Hey Dig any good distances or flight times with the Mav? Or is it just for flyin around and filmin stuff?
my longest mavic flight is 46k feet with two ms 3000 lihv 3s batteries. here's the screen recording from dji go .. i got past my landing spot by 5 feet and about 10-15 feet up and the battery completely died and it fell to the grass. I dont have a working gimbal, so i use the gimbal lock that is why its all shaky.

I know DB has a few long flights as well (50k+), but the Mavic suffers from bad yaw issues during auto land and he came up short a few times. The Mavic RC is really good for signal, a few of us have done 45k+ with stock signal and its pretty strong. You can see in my vid what signal was like that far out, not bad and i was holding it no tripid that one.

Ive been getting into this 'mile challenge' as an alternative to long distance, idea is out 1 mile and back, fastest time. Here's my best time, i bellyflopped and flipped the Mavic on landing

Reactions: Neon Euc and chazz
Totally Awesome Dig! Are 2 3s the most it'll carry or what yah think about 2 4s?
yeah some guys are running 2x4000 .. @dirtybum tried a huge *** battery. I only have the 2 3000 3s batteries thinking of trimming the 8.0 4s down to a 3s.

yeah some guys are running 2x4000 .. @dirtybum tried a huge *** battery. I only have the 2 3000 3s batteries thinking of trimming the 8.0 4s down to a 3s.

It's kinda bumming me out that you guys aren't playing with the phantom 3's much anymore but i guess that's the way it goes and it gets boring...But hey,, before you start cutin up the 8's can you PM me first? maybe we can work something out...Apparently they don't make them anymore and that's what I get the best time with...Hell, just this morning I did a 60000' flight and turned around at 73% with one of them and another attached and had 30% left in the tank when i landed...I think 80000 is def doable with the right weather and location...

I dont have a working gimbal, so i use the gimbal lock that is why its all shaky.

LoL! When I watched your vid I thought you were flying in Airplane mode; locked gimbal. I saw the "Gimbal Obstructed" warning on the screen and thought maybe that was normal for Airplane mode. Then I read your post. I haven't tried Airplane mode yet. So you're using the manual airplane mode!

It's kinda bumming me out that you guys aren't playing with the phantom 3's much anymore but i guess that's the way it goes and it gets boring...But hey,, before you start cutin up the 8's can you PM me first? maybe we can work something out...Apparently they don't make them anymore and that's what I get the best time with...Hell, just this morning I did a 60000' flight and turned around at 73% with one of them and another attached and had 30% left in the tank when i landed...I think 80000 is def doable with the right weather and location...

I took my long range p3 apart to do the P3->Mavic conversion so was trying something new. The idea was to see how long that could go, but havent had time to resolve the esc errors. I'm keeping my other p3 stock with a battery power mod, and letting my son fly with me. I think i went as far as I was going to go at 77k without cam, i can' fly any further at my spot without running into mountains or going 1000+feet plus and that kills battery. The only other place for me to go long is a 45 min drive and the winds are not great there. So I kinda hit max distance on my p3 I could fly here I think. But, the Mavic im at 46k, so i got 30k more before i run outa space :p Id really like to get a p4 still and push that long.

i can' fly any further at my spot without running into mountains or going 1000+feet plus and that kills battery. The only other place for me to go long is a 45 min drive and the winds are not great there.

I know what you mean man...That's the part that sucks and my biggest issue.....

I know what you mean man...That's the part that sucks and my biggest issue.....
maybe we need a total flight distance leaderboard. Would be interesting to see how much total we could cover, knowing some of us have distance limitations in terms of "THERES A MOUNTAIN RIGHT DERE!" .. :)

Reactions: D3ADP3P and chazz
maybe we need a total flight distance leaderboard. Would be interesting to see how much total we could cover, knowing some of us have distance limitations in terms of "THERES A MOUNTAIN RIGHT DERE!" .. :)

Good idea...what i should have done when it came home is turned back around and took it out and ran it out for another 15% (or maybe 13%) then turned around and came home for the total distance test...The people that can go the distances still have a little benefit because they don't have to slow down to turn around as often but hey i wouldn't complain...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel