THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ owners

Re: THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ ow

Fantomas,

I was able to get the Aug 22 ver from your dropbox just fine.

But upon re-reading it, I believe there may be an error. Under the FLYAWAY B 1 section, you mention when switching S1 to Atti,, "you'll be flying without GPS or compass". From what I've read in the past, in Atti mode compass still works, just no GPS. Maybe someone can confirm this for us.

Thanks.

pjw73nh said:
Fantomas,

I was able to get the Aug 22 ver from your dropbox just fine.

But upon re-reading it, I believe there may be an error. Under the FLYAWAY B 1 section, you mention when switching S1 to Atti,, "you'll be flying without GPS or compass". From what I've read in the past, in Atti mode compass still works, just no GPS. Maybe someone can confirm this for us.

Thanks.

This one was from Cahutch. I was not sure myself also.
Cahutch or any other members, could you confirm that when in ATTI, the compass is still active or not??
In fact, I would really appreciate if someone could tell me exactly what is active or not when in ATTI. Reference would be great.

Thx

Probably nitpickin here but wouldn't the accelerometer tell if it's rotating where the gyro would tell how far it's tilted?

IMU or Inertial Measurement Unit (Text by Cahutch, phantompilots.com member)
The altitude part is the barometric altimeter that measures altitude based on air pressure. Air pressure is a variable so
it’s mainly concerned with changes in air pressure over short times. The Inertial measurement is accelerometers just
like the ones in your phone that tell the phantom how it’s tilted. And it has gyros that tell it if it's rotating in any
direction.

pjw73nh said:
I think you are talking about a manual reset of your Home Point...
Fantomas,

No, I don't think it is JUST home point. He does something right after (maybe 8:15 to 8:25 or so) and verbally mentions "the copter now knows where the front is". What switch is he manipulating? Something on S2.

Did you have a look a my updated version of the Guide yet?

Is it in the pinned/sticky in the forum? Or the original link?
Tnx.

Ok, now I got it.
You do not have to do what he did. Front direction or Home orientation for Course Lock is automatically set 30s after powering up (Naza mode).
I've already included more info on that in my updated guide. Have a look and check out the IOC section also.

Thx

npalen said:
Probably nitpickin here but wouldn't the accelerometer tell if it's rotating where the gyro would tell how far it's tilted?

The altitude part is the barometric altimeter that measures altitude based on air pressure. Air pressure is a variable so
it’s mainly concerned with changes in air pressure over short times. The Inertial measurement is accelerometers just
like the ones in your phone that tell the phantom how it’s tilted. And it has gyros that tell it if it's rotating in any
direction.

Cahutch?

cahutch said:
Select Static and enter the following information.
IP Address, 192.168.1.15
Subnet Mask, 255.255.255.0
Leave the rest blank

Fantastic guidance. Not sure why I never thought of that myself. For some reason I thought the phone was on .2 or was otherwise bound to a specific IP. Forgot about the extender itself :)

Fantomas said:
pjw73nh said:
I think you are talking about a manual reset of your Home Point...
Fantomas,

No, I don't think it is JUST home point. He does something right after (maybe 8:15 to 8:25 or so) and verbally mentions "the copter now knows where the front is". What switch is he manipulating? Something on S2.

Did you have a look a my updated version of the Guide yet?

Is it in the pinned/sticky in the forum? Or the original link?
Tnx.

Ok, now I got it.
You do not have to do what he did. Front direction or Home orientation for Course Lock is automatically set 30s after powering up (Naza mode).
I've already included more info on that in my updated guide. Have a look and check out the IOC section also.

Thx

Thanks for the clarification. So it gets BOTH home point, and nose orientation at power up and after the quick green flashing lights?

pjw73nh said:
.... So it gets BOTH home point, and nose orientation at power up and after the quick green flashing lights?
At different times. Nose orientation ~30 seconds after power up, quick green flashes. Home point later after it acquires GPS lock, more quick green flashes.
npalen said:
Gyroscopes measure rotation or rotational orientation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope

Accelerometers measure linear acceleration or g forces.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer

Typically, in your phone, it's the accelerometer that measures tilt or level by using the force of gravity.
In the Phantom they also measure acceleration in any direction. If it's moving at a constant speed, neither accelerating or decelerating, they would measure nothing.
But gravity is always creating g force downward. If you orient an accelerometer sideways, so that if it's perfectly level, the g-force from gravity has no effect on the axis it's sensitive to, so it would read zero.
If it's slightly tilted it would get a stronger reading in one direction than the other. At 45 degrees for example it might measure 0.5g or -0.5g depending on which way it was tilted.

The gyroscopes measure rotational speed, not linear acceleration or gravity. Normally they can measure rotation even if it's at a constant speed, not accelerating.
They tell the Phantom that it's spinning in one direction or another, even if it's not moving.

To sum up...
Accelerometers measure linear movement, up/down, left/right or forward/backward.
... But since gravity is the same force as acceleration, they are also good at measuring the direction of gravity.
Gyroscopes measure rotational movement, pitch, roll or yaw. They aren't (or shouldn't be) affected by the direction of gravity.

pjw73nh said:
... I believe there may be an error. Under the FLYAWAY B 1 section, you mention when switching S1 to Atti,, "you'll be flying without GPS or compass". From what I've read in the past, in Atti mode compass still works, just no GPS. Maybe someone can confirm this for us.
Yeah, I may have been mistaken on that one. If course lock does work in Atti mode, then it must be using the compass.
I would think that course lock would be ineffective in atti mode since the effect of wind would make the Phantom move in unpredictable ways.

Course lock maintains the movement orientation of the craft no matter what the nose orientation is.
So if your Phantom was facing north when it determined course lock direction. When you are up in the air, you can rotate to face east, yet when you push forward on the stick, the Phantom will move north.
This behavior would certainly require the compass to function. I had assumed it would also require GPS but perhaps not. It just needs to know that it's facing 90 degrees from course lock direction and it can adjust propeller thrust to compensate. However if the wind is blowing sideways it is going to move at a 45 degree angle to the actual course lock direction.

If you are in atti mode and you are NOT in course lock mode, then my guess is it would completely ignore the compass. Or if not, it should (IMO).
The compass is not needed to maintain orientation. The gyros should be more than capable. My little blade 180 quad maintains orientation quite well without a compass.
If the compass is out of whack, and it's using that to maintain orientation, it might start spinning or changing direction on it's own.
I'd like to know that switching to atti mode would stop that and just allow the gyros to hold orientation.

Some info that I think would be helpful here.
From another forum member Panamon Creel ... From this thread viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23075
Panamon Creel said:
The compass identifies the nose position along the vertical axis in reference to earths magnetic field and it is needed for the controller to hold position and to fly to waypoints in conjunction with the GPS data since the GPS data alone cannot identify the nose position. E.g. Multirotor with good compass calibration is on position hold in the air, Nose position is North, GPS data shows the unit moved to the South, controller will rev up the rear two rotors to correct the unit forward, unit moves forward back to it's original position, controller happy. Lets say the compass is now out of calibration it and says the nose is pointing north but in fact it is pointing more towards the West, again the GPS data says that the unit moved out of position to the South, controller thinks that the nose is pointing North therefore revs the rear two props up, since the nose is actually pointing west the unit will now move to the west, controller will see the GPS data out of position to the west thus will fire up the left props to move to the east, but in fact will move to the North,... the story goes on and on causing the unit to circle around the point it is supposed to be at.

I found this explanation of the compass function in position hold very enlightening.
If the compass is out of calibration in GPS mode, it can cause the Phantom to circle a point in position hold, or if you try to fly it in any direction, it can cause the Phantom to veer off wildly in a random direction.
This happened to me once when I accidentally screwed up my compass and it flew off very fast at a high angle and crashed into the street. Unfortunately at the time I didn't know to try switching to Atti mode to regain control.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22598
In Atti mode it may still use the compass for orientation hold, but if your compass is out of whack, it won't try to thrust in the wrong direction to correct it's position.

This is probably responsible for many flyaways. If the Phantom is trying stay at a specific position, but is reving up the wrong motors to correct, it will move further and further out of position accelerating away from where it's trying to get back to. The pilot is unable to correct it in GPS mode because the phantom doesn't know it's pointed in the wrong direction. When you you give control input in GPS mode you change the GPS coordinates it's attempting to stay at but the original problem is still there so it just continues to fly off in the wrong direction.
So many lost or crashed Phantoms all because of a bad compass calibration. And switching to Atti mode as soon as the problem started might have saved them.

Fantomas said:
Well, now that I've got your attention:

To all Phantom Vision and Vision+ owners out there: this Summary Guide is for YOU!
It may not be THE "Ultimate" one but I'm sure it will help a lot of phantom's owners.

I'm the kind of guy who just hate to flip thru pages and pages of userguideS looking for stuff when only the important things need to be easily found.

Soooo, I made this "little" guide for all the newbies(to be used as a startup guide) and not so newbies(to be used as a reference/reminder guide) out there.

Almost nothing is from me, except for the hours I spent looking/extracting/formatting/summarizing important information all over the place :).
My sources were:
- Phantom User's Manual
- Naza User's Manual
- Comments found on the net
- Comments found on this site (BTW, if you see something you wrote, please let me know, I'll be glad to put your name on the list)
- Personal experiences

I've extracted what I think is important to know, remember, never forget about flying these birds.
I know, there are Wikis on the Net, but I found out there's always something missing.
Just have a look at my "Pre-Flight Checklist/Tips&Tricks" section, which, I think, is the most complete/detailed ever produce :)

Sections list:
What to Do & Not to Do First
Good to Know before you Go
Starting/Stopping the Motors
DJI Vision / Radar Function
Flight Environment Requirements
Pre-Flight Checklist/Tips & Tricks/Notes
- Inspection
- Power-Up
- DJI Vision
- Ready to Fly
- Know your switches
- Always be prepared for the Worst
- Landing
- Side Notes
Led Status (Phantom, RC & Extender)
Battery Status (RC, Extender & Smart)
Calibration
Naza mode and IOC. Why and How
How to Avoid Fly-Away / Recovering from a Fly-Away
Failsafe / Manual Failsafe
IOC Flight – Course Lock & Home Lock / CL Direction & HL Home Point Recording
Flight Limits (Height/Radius)
Ground Station
Preventive Maintenance Checklist
Phantom and RC Assistant / Camera Update

This guide is assuming that you already have set your Phantom in Naza Mode (dont' forget to turn IOC on...) and that bottom position of S1 switch is set to Failsafe and NOT Manual. BUT it can also be used if you haven't made the switch yet: just forget sections about IOC/HL/CL/ATTI... But I'm telling you, you're missing a lot.
Also, I'm assuming that all your firmware/software are up to date.

I'm open to comment, improvement, correction, new section, and so on. So feel free to contact me anytime.
This is a WIP-"Work in Progress". So if we work together we could made this thing THE Guide for the Phantom Vision.

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mceym/DJI Phantom Vision Summary Guide.pdf?dl=0
Let me know what you think.

Enjoy, Fly Safe and Take Care.

Excelent! Congrats!!

Looks like the 404 error is back. I can't download the file.

Fantomas said:
npalen said:

direction.

Cahutch?

Just want to know if that description is still valid? Anyone?

Hi everyone,

A new and "improved" version (Aug-26-2014) of the THE guide is now available.

- I've added a lot of new info in the Pre-flight Checklist/Tips & Trick section.
- Made few corrections here and there.
- Paginate

Be sure to download it otherwise you're missing something :)

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mce ... e.pdf?dl=0
Let me know what you think.

Enjoy, Fly Safely and Take Care.

Appreciate all your hard work, thanks

Awesome! Thanks for the hard work. Nice to have so much useful information in one place.

Thanks to all for your good words/comments. Helps me keep going. I really appreciate :)

Got something to ask everyone. Should I summarize a bit more or you're ok with all the detailed descriptions/comments I put in?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20