The Phantom line is dead, time for a Mavic - opinion?

Reaction score
The Phantom line is going nowhere. I need to replace/upgrade my existing P4. My plan is to sell it and use the proceeds to purchase a Mavic 2. I can zoom vis crop in software so I prefer the Pro model.

Further: I could get a P4P 2 on eBay for about the same price with the same camera but I’m reading in many places that the v2 suffers from drift, most yaw. I’ve seen drift on my older P4 and it affects long exposure and HDR a great deal. For that reason, unless you’d like to argue otherwise, the Mavic 2 seems best for me.

Last thought: does anyone think there will be a new model of Mavic in the next two months?

I’ve found this bundle and it seems perfect. Does anyone see anything “wrong” with it? They claim to be an authorized dealer so US warranty should be fine.

DJI Mavic 2 PRO Drone Quadcopter Fly More Combo

Last edited:
Well, your P4 may bear some of the burden. Iv thought about selling one of my two drones to upgrade into something new, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I guess you can kinda get attached to them. You may wont to just keep your P4 as spare.

Reactions: Adventures
Thank you very much msinger.

Now - an objective question. I don’t have the best eye sight; in any case, currently I enjoy flying using my 10” iPad for its huge screen. How hard is it to read the smart controller 5.5” screen? I assume it’s running Android, and that it’s dedicated to that single app only. I also assume WiFi only, no cellular. All that sounds like a drawback.

Can I still run a big screen iPad with the standard remote controller or is it for regular sized phones only?

How hard is it to read the smart controller 5.5” screen?
It's much brighter than an iPad, so it'll be easier to see the screen when outdoors. Size-wise, you might not like it if a 10" screen is already the best fit for you.

I assume it’s running Android, and that it’s dedicated to that single app only
It does run a different build of DJI GO on Android. You can install some 3rd party apps on it, but I don't know which 3rd party flight apps will be able to run on it in the future.

Can I still run a big screen iPad with the standard remote controller or is it for regular sized phones only?
Yes. The Mavic 2 also uses DJI GO 4, so all of the same devices will work with the Mavic 2 remote controller. If you use a tablet, you'll need some type of mount to hold the tablet in the remote controller.

I also assume WiFi only, no cellular. All that sounds like a drawback.
Why would that be a big drawback?
Are you wanting to make phone calls on the controller?

Like almost all Android tablets, the smart controller has GPS.
But hardly anyone ever uses the GPS in their tablet anyway.

Why would that be a big drawback?
Are you wanting to make phone calls on the controller?

Like almost all Android tablets, the smart controller has GPS.
But hardly anyone ever uses the GPS in their tablet anyway.

Having cellular means I can live stream, I can send photos or videos immediately, I can get updates while in the field, I can access the B4UFly and other drone related apps, I can check this forum if I have issues, It’s handy to have them all on one device. And I don’t want to use Android if I can; I don’t like malware.

Pretty much everything has GPS these days. I use it on my tablet when I go outside my house.

Yes these things could also be done with a second, separate device but I enjoy the integration of it all in one place and one OS

Yes. The Mavic 2 also uses DJI GO 4, so all of the same devices will work with the Mavic 2 remote controller. If you use a tablet, you'll need some type of mount to hold the tablet in the remote controller.

Just saved me $400

Well... -$ for this adapter:

This appears to be my best deal:

Having cellular means I can live stream, I can send photos or videos immediately, I can get updates while in the field, I can access the B4UFly and other drone related apps, I can check this forum if I have issues, It’s handy to have them all on one device
If you're near Wi-Fi, you can connect the Smart Controller to a Wi-Fi network. That means you could also set up a hotspot on your mobile phone.

Can't go wrong with the new Mavic 2. It's a well built machine. In fact this become the new standard for our Cell Tower Inspections Program. This drone handles as good if not better that the P4P in the wind and has a lot more tech built into it than the P4. Like all drones, if DJI has discontinued the line it's a matter of time before they stop supporting that product. We wouldn't expect that to be for a long time however, but it's clear the Mavic is the new direction for the company. As far as the smart controller goes I personally love it. It's certainly brighter than any cell, or tablet you're going to mount, but it's biggest draw back if you have a BIG day of flying is the charge to use ratio. It's nearly a 1:1 for charing vs. use. It will discharge in 2.5hrs and recharge time is 2 hours. If you don't fly that much I highly recommend using it. I'd be happy to provide you with a quote on the package that would best suite your needs. Feel free to call the office. 1-855-837-6637.

Best of luck,

Brett

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic