The PD checked my FAA numbers on my Drone !

Wouldn't that kind of be like blacking out your license plate on your car? The visible number is a requirement. Asking to come in your house would be like asking to see your video. I would probably ask for a warrant at that point. It would depend on if where I was flying gave him,..You got it,...reasonable suspicion.

There is no requirement from the FAA that your registration number be viable. It has to be on the drone that it's easy enough to location. This means it can be in the battery compartment which would require that the battery be (easily) removed. These are not tail numbers. You are also required to have that printed paper on your person from the FAA website showing your contact information and registration number.

Its possible that someone reported the OP. If that was the case I'd say the officer had a legal right to demand proof of registration (as a complaint is being investigated). But as it is, it seems like the offer simply asked for this info and would have given the OP the right to refuse. That does not require a complaint or the suspicion of a crime.

FAA has advised that UAS recreational pilots may put the FA number inside the battery compartment.

Yes, if you have one. It can be in any compartment or location not requiring a tool to access.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
When they mimic Federal law - Like you could be fined in "Anytown USA" if your done is not registered.

Drones | Cherry Hills Village, CO

The City may accept a federal registration in lieu of City registration of a specific UAS only if the federal registration program enables the City to confirm a registration number for such UAS and to obtain substantially the same application information as required by the City. The City Council may establish other registration requirements by resolution.

Huh? So this would only apply to people who fly in the US but are not required to register with the FAA. Plus, does that verbiage make any sense?

only if the federal registration program enables the City to confirm a registration number for such UAS and to obtain substantially the same application information as required by the City

Only if the City can confirm the Federal reg number as required by the city?

This is yet another example is stupid city law makers making whatever laws they want.

Registration required. Registration of UAS is required for all owners of UAS operating within City airspace unless exempted under Section 7-7-30.

So they are regulating airspace. At best they would argue that they are a CBO so they are allowed to do this. I don't agree.

Without express prior written authorization from the City Manager, no person may operate a UAS on or over any City property inclusive of public streets, alleys, bridle paths, trails, playgrounds, parks, open space, parking lots, and public buildings.

Again, they are regulating airspace. This is also yet another really dumb stipulations. How is anyone supposed to know each and every piece of property owned by the city? They state the same thing about other people's property. So really, you can fly over your house and that is it. Have fun with that.

Also, I don't find any exception int he actual law for people who have registered with the FAA as is mentioned on the city website.

When u go to register, be sure the web address ends with ‘.gov’ unless you want to pay someone to do it for you.
There are sites that will register you for an additional fee.

It’s $5 for 3 years directly from FAA

Thank you.
Done. Now for a label maker. Or a fat sharpie!!

The City may accept a federal registration in lieu of City registration of a specific UAS only if the federal registration program enables the City to confirm a registration number for such UAS and to obtain substantially the same application information as required by the City. The City Council may establish other registration requirements by resolution.

Huh? So this would only apply to people who fly in the US but are not required to register with the FAA. Plus, does that verbiage make any sense?

only if the federal registration program enables the City to confirm a registration number for such UAS and to obtain substantially the same application information as required by the City

Only if the City can confirm the Federal reg number as required by the city?

This is yet another example is stupid city law makers making whatever laws they want.

Registration required. Registration of UAS is required for all owners of UAS operating within City airspace unless exempted under Section 7-7-30.

So they are regulating airspace. At best they would argue that they are a CBO so they are allowed to do this. I don't agree.

Without express prior written authorization from the City Manager, no person may operate a UAS on or over any City property inclusive of public streets, alleys, bridle paths, trails, playgrounds, parks, open space, parking lots, and public buildings.

Again, they are regulating airspace. This is also yet another really dumb stipulations. How is anyone supposed to know each and every piece of property owned by the city? They state the same thing about other people's property. So really, you can fly over your house and that is it. Have fun with that.

Also, I don't find any exception int he actual law for people who have registered with the FAA as is mentioned on the city website.

I've done commercial work there, had cops drive by me like I was invisible, maybe it was my sexy lime green vest! ;). This is a very snooty "high-end" community so this never surprised me but it is an example of how some cities are dove-tailing (and in this case going beyond) federal law. The only thing one could do is reach in their deep pockets and challenge them in court, and I could see that happening as I know there are residents in Cherry who fly drones and who have deep pockets.

A police office stops you and says, " I need to see your identification right now". Or, " Show me your identification right now". Is the officer asking you to voluntarily do something or is it a legal command? There is the problem... you probably won't know (can't know) unless you either ask or refuse. If the officer asks you to land when possible and then asks to see the registration number, if you simply do this (most would), it could just be a request... not something you legally need to do. Same as an officer knocking on your door and ask if he/she could come inside and look around. You can refuse but you can also voluntarily allow them in. They are not breaking the law.
I presented a similar question of a cop friend of mine who is a pilot and also flies drones. His response? "Potential Public Nuisance," almost a catch-all in many small towns. You're in a public place flying a drone, LE "may" reserve the right to ensure that you're not doing anything to annoy or endanger others within the community. In doing so he asks to see your registration. Not my interpretation but to be honest I don't see any judge disagreeing with this approach.

Reactions: macoman and N017RW
I have my numbers and two copies of my card. However I don’t have the number on my drone. What’s the best way to attach the numbers to my drone without some fancy method or equipment? Any suggestions?!

I ordered vinyl stickers from here and attached it to my drone.

I am glad the inspection didn't go the wrong way. I do agree; however, that there must be a "probable cause" for checking your registration just like any other citation would require. They cannot just ask you to show your papers or registration without some legal reason which would hold up in court. That is how it is currently (but maybe not for long) in the US. In Europe they can stop you just for checking documents but they must state that up front and anything else they find is an illegal search. We don't yet have any unified requirement for registration except in a few countries like Austria and that is the most onerous of them all.

I am left wondering about the police and their time management. They have time for this but not to assist ICE in catching known felons? Only in the US.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Only interaction I’ve had with the local SO while flying is the usual interest in them watching..............and then the seemingly endless questions about it. I take it all in stride though, because these guys are in harms’ way every day, and a little distraction like me flying a drone in a city park is the least of their worries.

After answering their questions, most are amazed at the technology involved in today’s ‘big-boy-toys’ and are wanting one of their own.

And, I make it a point to show them what the camera sees’ on my iPad screen......both at a distance and close up. I remind them that there is no Zoom lens. What you see is what you get. Hopefully this info will help in the future if a drone is supposedly spying on a neighbor from overhead.

I just used a sharpie and wrote them on the back of all my batteries. That should be fine right? I think I'm also going to keep them in my pack so if I ever get asked, I don't have to end that flight immediately.

I just used a sharpie and wrote them on the back of all my batteries.
Your FAA registration number? No, that's not okay. You must write it on the aircraft.

In the United States, Law enforcement must have reasonable suspicion that you have committed an actual violation to detain you or require you to do ANYTHING... period, end of story. Random “registration checks” by local PD with questionable jurisdiction doesn’t qualify.
For the sake of argument, lets say the OP wasn’t registered. What would Barney Fife do? What violation code would he notate on the ticket. What law would be referenced on the booking paperwork? He wouldn’t, because there is NONE!

Well.. In defense of the officers the op voluntarily obliged their request. The op stated that he was 50 ft away and the officers asked him to land. He complied with no anger and landed. I see nothing wrong with that. The officers didn't approach him and demand him to land.. According to the op.
Actually I would bring it back and show them simply to show off my $1200 toy. [emoji16]

Reactions: DeadeyeCharlie
In the case of LE, drones would make a great tool. Imagine if a leo was chasing a suspect, and they run, if equiped with a drone in their squad, they could easily get it up in the air and using infared imaging, they could find them easier than spend way more money and time to get a full bird in the air. (long distance the acception).

I get that and agree. My point was, this seems similar to a local LEO forcing someone to pull over their car and show their license based on a federal law that they could possibly not be in compliance with just “because”... No reason to pull over at all... Just decided to do it on a whim.

Heck in some areas of the country these days, (it would seem) ...One Federal law (illegal immigration) is ignored, but dang it...you better have your $5 drone reg papers!! - Somewhat j/k...but.... :)

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Agreed. Some people. Ahmm hmmm.....would gladly be walked all over by uninformed LEO's and the danger of this is public opinion gettting used to being walked all over. People need to stand their ground & be confident knowing the laws.....otherwise we risk not being free in this great country. Thats great that some people dont mind complying with bored or overly agressive and far too often unimformed LEO's but they damage the community. So yes it does matter. The UAV/drone community is not liked by the general masses so fly safe & fly respectful but dont let yourself be abused by those that don't know the laws.
A police office stops you and says, " I need to see your identification right now". Or, " Show me your identification right now". Is the officer asking you to voluntarily do something or is it a legal command? There is the problem... you probably won't know (can't know) unless you either ask or refuse. If the officer asks you to land when possible and then asks to see the registration number, if you simply do this (most would), it could just be a request... not something you legally need to do. Same as an officer knocking on your door and ask if he/she could come inside and look around. You can refuse but you can also voluntarily allow them in. They are not breaking the law.

I'm 100% for people sticking up for their rights. If an officer asked me to land to check my registration, if I could I'd land then and do it. If I was in the middle of something important I might ask if he/she could wait just a couple of minutes so that I could land safely. In the OP's case I'm betting the officer would not have seen an issue. A different situation might be an officer telling me that I can't take a photos of a building. In that case I'd point out that the 1st amendment allows me to do this and offer some push back. In that case I'm standing up for my (and everyone's) rights.

Could the OP have refused to show the registration number? Perhaps. However, if someone complained about the flight then the officer has a right to investigate and make sure that the drone can legally be flown. But that complaint is what started the investigation... not just the officer looking for an issue before one is known of.

In reading this is seems like this officer knew the best way to handle the situation and did so perfectly. I've not had an officer come up to me but I've had a security guard come up and tell me I was free to photo a nearby building as lot of people were but, he was asked to call the police if I took photos or flew over the Nu Skin building (huge multi level marking company). He was about the nicest person you'd ever want to meet and just pointing out what his job was. While I could take photos of the Nu Skin building, he was just telling me what his marching orders were. No harm, no foul.

Gosh Thank you. Good to see not everyone here is such a pushover. Some dont mind being an idiot and doing everything an unimformed LEO asks you to but they dont realize the damage to a free society they pose by swaying public opinion that its ok to be pushed over. There are a lot of LEO training protocols that not only intentionallu deceive the public but sometimes go against our constitutional rights often unlawfullu writing tickets or even arresting folks only to waste time and money for it to be thrown out in court. I mean they dont care it's jusy public money being wasted. Dont be a punk, know your laws, fly safe, fly respectable, and stay free. Folks be respectable to LEO's always but dont let them abuse you.

Some info...

https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/law_enforcement/media/FAA_UAS-PO_LEA_Guidance.pdf

https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/law_enforcement/media/FAA-UAS-DRONE-LE-ReferenceCard.pdf

...and then there's this...

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOD...itleVII-partA-subpartiii-chap441-sec44103.pdf

Please read (d) in the above link -

It's not clear to me whether they can force us to land if we can show our registration card. But what really bugs me is they can apparently interrupt us and ask to see our registration card while we're busy piloting our AC and not breaking any obvious rules ... I don't understand that. It doesn't make any sense. The LEO would be creating a potential safety hazard in doing so.

There was a card they issued in late 2015 or early 2016 that specifically stated the LEO must allow us to finish our flight provided we haven't broken any obvious rules. But that one seems to have been deleted by FAA.

Last edited:
My yellow vest has my registration number clearly shown on the front and back. For me to acknowledge the LEO I would have to visually ID him or her. That would require me to take my eyes off the object I am flying. Therefore, my initial response to the person would be, "you will have to wait until I land so that I may acknowledge you are who you say you are" then state to them for me to take my eyes off the object would be breaking FAA rules.

I was once stopped and boarded by a coast guard vessel while motoring along one evening in an 18 foot open aluminum boat. They checked my safety gear and did a very quick sobriety check. They were satisfied and were in the process of boarding their own vessel when I asked them what it was that made them decide to board me in the first place ? He glanced around my boat quickly, smiled a big grin and said "your green light isn't green enough". They all left chuckling to each other :) For the record, there was absolutely nothing wrong with my green nav light :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor