The P3 and VRS

Reaction score
Just how big a concern would VRS be for the P3? I have definitely noticed wobbling while descending relatively slowly. I have since been afraid to lower in quickly or even at a brisk pace.

Are you just coming straight down ?

Try and do forward sweeping circles.

I've yet to see or hear anyone crash on the p3 from this. So shouldn't worry about it.

How slowly are you descending? When coming straight down, I never have a problem if I descend at 2 MPH.

You need to beware of VRS.

Reactions: snowghost
I've used full stick straight down several times (hundreds of feet) and haven't had any issues. I was prepared to save it if it occurred.

I have wobbled at 6mph or so. Is it possible to get completely stuck in VRS or can you usually just fly forward?

The early Phantom 2s could descend at a zippy 6 metres/sec which was great but you had to maintain some forward movement while coming down fast or VRS was possible.
DJI slowed it down to a snail's pace 2 m/sec so that inexperienced flyers wouldn't get themselves into VRS trouble but there were always some that were too scared and descended even slower.

Skip to the P3 and DJI have given it 50% more descent speed so we can come down at 3 m/sec now. It looks a lot faster falling over your head but I've tested it today in very still air from the highest flight I've done. Vertical, full down for a long, long way without a hint of trouble.

DJI has offset the motors on the P3 so that the downward air is directed slightly outward rather than vertically.
Could this contribute to anti-VRS performance?

Definitely. Angling the rotors inwards improves stability (analog to wing dihedral) and reduces VRS as some of the down-wash is directed out and away. However, this also results in a wee bit of efficiency loss.

You can get out of it IF you have enough altitude. It will come down quickly when it gets into VRS. And it will continue to lose altitude as you punch out sideways. And adding power often will only make it worse until you're fully clear of it. Telltale signs are the side to side thrashing, like a tank slapper on a motorcycle.

You can get out of it IF you have enough altitude. It will come down quickly when it gets into VRS. And it will continue to lose altitude as you punch out sideways. And adding power often will only make it worse until you're fully clear of it. Telltale signs are the side to side thrashing, like a tank slapper on a motorcycle.
So my technique of dropping in fast to 50 feet and then slowing down is okay?

Depends entirely on how good you are at punching out and your path through the wind. Practice at higher altitudes would be my recommendation.

On other platforms that have manual mode, some people dump to manual and go into an almost free fall. But that's with lots of altitude to spare. Not for the faint of heart.

Depends entirely on how good you are at punching out and your path through the wind. Practice at higher altitudes would be my recommendation.

On other platforms that have manual mode, some people dump to manual and go into an almost free fall. But that's with lots of altitude to spare. Not for the faint of heart.
I will certainly not attempt that... Yet!

Reactions: isopro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic