The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

Can I get away with just boosting the control signal as that is what I am having problems with due to the low power from the GL300C getting swamped by other 2.4g signals in the rf saturated urban uk airspace.

Can I get away with just boosting the control signal as that is what I am having problems with due to the low power from the GL300C getting swamped by other 2.4g signals in the rf saturated urban uk airspace.
Not unless you like flying blind. Video is also in the 2.4g band. Video is usually lost before control, which makes flying difficult, especially if you are flying to record video.

Thanks for your comments but its always control I lose, I am running the 32ch mod for video which moves it away from most of the interfering signals which plague the control signal and it is always rock solid with hardly a flicker. May be a different story if I tried a long flight in the middle of nowhere but for most of the flying I do it should be ok. If I do start having major problems its no big job to add the second amp.

Thanks for your comments but its always control I lose, I am running the 32ch mod for video which moves it away from most of the interfering signals which plague the control signal and it is always rock solid with hardly a flicker. May be a different story if I tried a long flight in the middle of nowhere but for most of the flying I do it should be ok. If I do start having major problems its no big job to add the second amp.
If I lived in CE land rather than FCC land, I'd first do the parameter mode to override the CE limitation, as the base power output under FCC is at least 3x the CE power, and that is the power output that is being amplified for control. The video receiving amp is less effective because the power output is established from the aircraft, not the RC, and amplification at the receiving end amplifies everything, including noise. 5 mile control range is doable, but will need a supplemental battery mod to make the best use of it. Good luck!

Everyone else is using the Sunhans 3W boosters with a DBS-02 antenna.
SUNHANS eSunRC 3000mW 2.4Ghz 35dBm WiFi Signal Booster for DJI,Yuneec,3DR,XIRO | eBay
You will still need a 12V external battery to power the two boosters (one for control and one for video), and a tray to support the weight from below! The NoLimitDronez Parameter mod is far cheaper and easier, and adds no weight. Just buy some cheap $10 SMA 2.4Ghz antennas to replace the original.

I have ordered the Sunhans booster mentioned in your post, will update post when it arrives. Been playing with the cheap booster that wont work on the transmit /control side but seems to work ok amping up the receive video, only time will tell and if I get issues will no doubt get a second sunhans.

I have ordered the Sunhans booster mentioned in your post, will update post when it arrives. Been playing with the cheap booster that wont work on the transmit /control side but seems to work ok amping up the receive video, only time will tell and if I get issues will no doubt get a second sunhans.
There are cheaper amps available, but they weigh almost 10 times as much! The Sunhans are definitely the lightest, and most compact, even if a bit pricey.

Does anyone gives a rat's behind about the dangers of BVLOS any more???
NTSB: Pilot flew drone farther than he could see in New York collision with Army helicopter
This is old news from last year. The two NFZ zones were far more significant of a factor than BLVOS, which was exacerbated by near darkness in the two NFZ's. Despite all this, the helicopter still landed safely after the collision. Ours is an international forum of Phantom pilots, many of whom are not subject to the jurisdiction of the FAA.

Last edited:
I just got my Alientech antenna for my P4 , I haven't installed yet , any comments would be appreciated

What have you heard about it?
Nothing in particular. They cannot amplify the output power of the video FPV signal from the drone, which is the real limiting factor. They can only amplify the RC control signal, and whatever is received at the RC, along with the noise. The increased range isn't of much use without FPV. Certain drone models transmitted higher video signal power output and certain RC's have higher original signal power outputs than others. The degree of improvement depends upon the specific drone, which model RC, and what you are trying to accomplish.

This is old news from last year. The two NFZ zones were far more significant of a factor than BLVOS, which was exacerbated by near darkness in the two NFZ's. Despite all this, the helicopter still landed safely after the collision. Ours is an international forum of Phantom pilots, many of whom are not subject to the jurisdiction of the FAA.
AND?

The elephant in the room is Lightbridge is an inferior technology ascomparedto occusync. Unless the bird side of transmission is changed, there is no point amping up the radio. I’m in the process of installing a first generation occusync on my phantom 4 from battered mavic. The phantom has been sitting idle since the mavics came but hey! It’s experimental ventures now!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl