The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

Reaction score
No problems with my P4 but really starting to get tired of constant, non-stop, endless, whining threads about range and how "it's getting sent back".

Let's keep all of the above mentioned items in this thread to allow others enjoy a variety of threads without scrolling through numerous threads about the same thing.

/flamesuiton

Admin Edit: I changed the title to something more appropriate and stickied it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ramp if you think this will stop it ya bad wrong :)
Done seen this tried with other things .

I'm hoping with the support of mods and admins they can just merge any range threads into this or close them if people decide to disregard the directions.

Thank you for the sticky!!

Can we change it to add battery life as well as the range?

Last edited:
No problems with my P4 but really starting to get tired of constant, non-stop, endless, whining threads about range and how "it's getting sent back".

Let's keep all of the above mentioned items in this thread to allow others enjoy a variety of threads without scrolling through numerous threads about the same thing.

/flamesuiton

Admin Edit: I changed the title to something more appropriate and stickied it. ;)
Don't read them if they are bother you because listen some people may be like me in the sense they are just trying to get help with an issue they don't understand and they have people like you saying they are whining when if you have been doing this for a long time you may be able to share some knowledge other that a smart attitude that nobody cares to hear so now have a good day and good flying to you

There's no attitude. When people have a legit issue I'll be more than glad to help but when there's 10 threads on the first page about "I'm returning my p4 because it sucks - only got 26 minutes flight out of advertised 28. DJI IS HORRIBLE :'(" then it gets old, quick.

New owners are coming here and are seeing nothing but negativity and the entire forum just gets filled with it because it's nearly impossible to find any other threads in between all of the complaining.

This thread was created and stickied to please the people that want to complain and also to localize all the complaints about the same issue into the same thread instead of having 100s of threads discussing the same exact "problem".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's no attitude. When people have a legit issue I'll be more than glad to help but when there's 10 threads on the first page about "I'm returning my p4 because it sucks - only got 26 minutes flight out of advertised 28. DJI IS HORRIBLE :'(" then it gets old, quick.

New owners are coming here and are seeing nothing but negativity and the entire forum just gets filled with it because it's nearly impossible to find any other threads in between all of the complaining.

This thread was created and stickied to please the people that want to complain and also to localize all the complaints about the same issue into the same thread instead of having 100s of threads discussing the same exact "problem".

Hey listen I may be wrong myself when I say I bought mine thinking it would reach out to a distance of like 3.1 miles and it only will go like 3/4 of a mile and I ran up on this site and thought what a great site cause I am sure they are people here that can show some new flyers like me things that I am sure are right under our noses and I don't want to complaine because I love my phantom and more than anything just trying to figure out if it's something I am doing wrong cause I am seeing great post of people getting great distances out of theirs

Good, concentrate on reading the positive stuff and you'll learn lots of tips and tricks. Reading negativity will do nothing but discourage new pilots.

Look into the channel hack, something to play with if you live in an area with a congested 2.4ghz spectrum.

Here is a AirShou screen capture of a 5000m flight. It has been edited for time. Note that when the Phantom reaches over 5000m the RTH point is well behind the the battery's remain capacity. This required returning in Sport mode. The craft did make it back but did not catch up to the RTH point until about 500m from the HP.

Reactions: Ramphex
Here is a AirShou screen capture of a 5000m flight. It has been edited for time. Note that when the Phantom reaches over 5000m the RTH point is well behind the the battery's remain capacity. This required returning in Sport mode. The craft did make it back but did not catch up to the RTH point until about 500m from the HP.

Thanks for sharing.
I post a comment in your vimeo... Basically is... Did it make it back :fearful:?

Excellent video, for those who are not good with the metric system, the distance he flew is approximately 3.1 miles, as advertised on the DJI site. Thank you for doing a test in optimal conditions.

I want to hear the long answer :)

I made it back to shore. The RTH point got in front of the battery capacity at about 500m. It was a good thing that I had a tail wind. I was flying at 22+m/s. I won't be doing this again. It was for demonstration purposes only as some had questioned if the P4 could fly 5000m under any conditions. We do not recommend that users fly beyond line of sight.

I made it back to shore. The RTH point got in front of the battery capacity at about 500m. It was a good thing that I had a tail wind. I was flying at 22+m/s. I won't be doing this again. It was for demonstration purposes only as some had questioned if the P4 could fly 5000m under any conditions. We do not recommend that users fly beyond line of sight.
Thank you Ed!

If I were to add some range extender to my P4, which one would everyone suggest???

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If I were to add some range extender to my P4, which one would everyone suggest???

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I did the DBS mod, and from my point of view, make sure your comfortable even pushing those limits.
I'm too scared to fly BVR and I get it for those on the edge of a desert or something, open fields for miles where landing drone just means jumping in the RZR for a drive.
I got the mod for S/N sensitivity, for "punching" through noise but the stock system is no slouch, and cannot say the DBS is better at this point.
I've always had full bars but haven't flown but maybe 400-500 meters away, thru a pretty good canopy of 100' pines, the stock ones did go blank on me, but I was just above canopy, which was a newbie mistake, as soon as it happened I stopped fwd and slowly raised the bird till I got signal back. I was defiantly nervous. I have seen my actual signal degrade with a line across screen and slight pixelation, but only for a few milliseconds, but close enough to me I feel it shoulda been rock solid like everywhere else.
Start with the windsurfers, then spend the $110 or more if your comfortable pushing the limits.

Reactions: stefwalski

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers