The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

Easily, but only after each of the RC's have been modified to accept their external antenna. It does have a nice form factor. Must be heavy, though, huh?

Yes you are right, I modified all the controllers myself, the Mavic Pro and the P4P were easy, surprisingly the spark was harder due to a multi-tiered circuit board connected by finicky small ribbon cables, each controller takes about 30 minutes to modify.

The amplified antenna is much heavier due to the battery and amps built in. On the P4P controller its not a problem due to the Ipad Pro 10.5 I use counterbalancing it, the spark and mavic pro controller mounts don't have the extra support bracket the P4P mount has, so there is a bit of a downward strain unless your using a larger tablet like a Ipad mini 4.

I use a lanyard harness with all of these

Yes you are right, I modified all the controllers myself, the Mavic Pro and the P4P were easy, surprisingly the spark was harder due to a multi-tiered circuit board connected by finicky small ribbon cables, each controller takes about 30 minutes to modify.

The amplified antenna is much heavier due to the battery and amps built in. On the P4P controller its not a problem due to the Ipad Pro 10.5 I use counterbalancing it, the spark and mavic pro controller mounts don't have the extra support bracket the P4P mount has, so there is a bit of a downward strain unless your using a larger tablet like a Ipad mini 4.

I use a lanyard harness with all of these
Thanks for sharing your experience with it. :cool:
What kind of range are you getting on the P4P when compared to the stock Auto 5.8Ghz antenna range, which is over 5 miles for me, without all the extra weight and hassle? I need a P4P battery mod first, before I go over 5 miles, if I expect to make it back!

Thanks for sharing your experience with it. :cool:
What kind of range are you getting on the P4P when compared to the stock Auto 5.8Ghz antenna range, which is over 5 miles for me, without all the extra weight and hassle? I need a P4P battery mod first, before I go over 5 miles, if I expect to make it back!

In Tracy calif, I found a great location in northern calif, GPS 37.38.20.83N by 121.24.46.41W small rolling hills, line of sight, 4 1/2 miles long by 2 miles wide, most times Low wind

after installing (easy to do) I started flying in a place where I had a lot of disturbance before. This has completely disappeared after the installation of the alienech. the distance that I have flown in the area has not gone beyond 1600 meters. Previously this distance was not possible.
I still want to watch on the beach what the further effect is but so far very satisfied!

IMO it has something to do with strong wireless interference areas. I flew one direction and lost signal in 3/4 mi and then in the opposite heading and got out over 2 mi before the jello screen blips started...just sayin'....oh and BTW, I've heard those signal booster thingys aren't much enhancement. Any thoughts? : )

IMO it has something to do with strong wireless interference areas. I flew one direction and lost signal in 3/4 mi and then in the opposite heading and got out over 2 mi before the jello screen blips started...just sayin'....oh and BTW, I've heard those signal booster thingys aren't much enhancement. Any thoughts? : )
Depending upon the antenna mod and the use of boosters to amplify the antenna signal and reception, over 6 miles is easily possible, with clear LOS. Plenty of older threads here on the forum on modding P3P and P4 antennas to achieve and exceed the advertised ranges. The modded transmitters are interchangeable and the older P3P transmitters had more power than the P4 transmitters.

Try And You Will never go Back. ..

But i better The original version 4.1.15 by secNeo And The apply The patch that You need ( forse this case Fcc patch ) And Then suggest To apply also The request offerte upgrade And server connect.
Whit this medot You Will have a Clean djigo4 app version.
All The other pre installed patch May be have any human manipolation of The app To have a bad idea.
Sorry me My bad English.
Ciao

Try And You Will never go Back. ..

But i better The original version 4.1.15 by secNeo And The apply The patch that You need ( forse this case Fcc patch ) And Then suggest To apply also The request offerte upgrade And server connect.
Whit this medot You Will have a Clean djigo4 app version.
All The other pre installed patch May be have any human manipolation of The app To have a bad idea.
Sorry me My bad English.
Ciao

Thanks for the reply.
The hacked app i mentioned first is a direct install, and its working so good that i am going to stick with it.

i am also very lazy... :p

I am kinda new to the large drone world but I have a p4p and I have only flown it 3600 ft away and had very few glitches and no LOS and I use both litchi and Dji go, I use it for the incredible camera. But am I missing something with most of the people on this thread because it looks like setting distance records is the thing! I thought that the FAA rules are line of sight and at a mile or more you can no longer see or hear your drone and it seems to be an expensive chance to take to loose your drone?

I am kinda new to the large drone world but I have a p4p and I have only flown it 3600 ft away and had very few glitches and no LOS and I use both litchi and Dji go, I use it for the incredible camera. But am I missing something with most of the people on this thread because it looks like setting distance records is the thing! I thought that the FAA rules are line of sight and at a mile or more you can no longer see or hear your drone and it seems to be an expensive chance to take to loose your drone?
Clearly, this thread is not for you. Plenty of other threads available on the forum that may be more suited to you. Each to their own. Tolerance and diversity makes for a happy drone community. :cool:

Clearly, this thread is not for you. Plenty of other threads available on the forum that may be more suited to you. Each to their own. Tolerance and diversity makes for a happy drone community. :cool:
The record and line of sight statement was more of a more of a question than a statement as to what and why just may be worded wrong. I was not accusing anybody of anything. I thought someone would tell me why they fly so far or that line of sight wasn't a set in concrete rule or something, didn't realize I wasn't welcome on phantom pilots forum with my short time flying. sorry I'll reed and not comment from now on.:cool:

The record and line of sight statement was more of a more of a question than a statement as to what and why just may be worded wrong. I was not accusing anybody of anything. I thought someone would tell me why they fly so far or that line of sight wasn't a set in concrete rule or something, didn't realize I wasn't welcome on phantom pilots forum with my short time flying. sorry I'll reed and not comment from now on.:cool:
If I misinterpreted your post, I apologize. Not everyone drives the speed limit, so you will find threads here devoted to discussions outside the lines. Increasing range increases signal stability even within VLOS. In many cases, it may be necessary to fly a great distance to reach the desired destination, whether over water to reach an island or to fly to the top of a mountain that is closed to hikers. Hope this helps answer your questions. :cool:

No problems with my P4 but really starting to get tired of constant, non-stop, endless, whining threads about range and how "it's getting sent back".

Let's keep all of the above mentioned items in this thread to allow others enjoy a variety of threads without scrolling through numerous threads about the same thing.

/flamesuiton

Admin Edit: I changed the title to something more appropriate and stickied it. ;)
Hi question please....
Is it possible to pre plan a flight path with the Pro 4 plus or do I have to go up and fly marking the waypoints as I travel?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl