The New Dream - true bird-like flight

Reaction score
Two GoPro's set up using the Dual (3D case, basically) in a 3-axis gimbal, streaming into an Oculus Rift with full head-controlled PTZ. Will require retractable landing gear, of course.

You'll have fully immersive visuals in 3D and be able to look around in almost any direction.

Anyone hear of anything similar yet? I guarantee you will in the next couple years.

I predict this will go over just as well as 3D television. I don't need anymore techno gadgets for my videos, I need to be more creative, and rely less on the technology and more on story telling.

wobbly as buggery footage and all thats missing is a snorkel

:lol:

A pair of GoPros in the housing are very heavy. I have the earlier version for GoPro Hero 1. The camera lenses are too close together for much depth perception when shooting from any distance. Works fine from my kayak or whitewater raft but not for the quadcopter.
There are a couple of new 3d FPV cameras being released. Do a search for Nerdcam 3d and Blackbird FPV. These work with several of the available 3d goggles but do not have head tracking. These cameras are very light. One has the ability to separate the cameras for greater interaxial distance.

Another issue: Weight and balance - Center of Gravity vs Center of Lift.

The sensors and ESE's can compensate for some imbalance but not a lot, resulting in stability issues. The gimbals are set up for specific camera weights (see what it does with no camera mounted). I'm a strong supporter of 3-D but at the moment it's not a good idea for the small quadcopters, and results would be anything but "bird-like".

I'm not sure two GoPro's will get you there. But a specially-built camera with two lenses/sensors would... like syotr said. I actually haven't seen any of the 3D FPV's he's talking about, so I can't say... but I'd imagine it'd be much lighter and better balanced than two GoPro's.

I think I'll still wait for the holographic FPV system, though, that can actually show the 360 degree environment around me.

Wind_Shear said:
Anyone hear of anything similar yet? I guarantee you will in the next couple years.

Lol, already being done for over a year now, even with two Mobius cameras. Not new at all.

Wouldn't want to fpv like that though, not with current technology.

Wind_Shear said:
Two GoPro's set up using the Dual (3D case, basically) in a 3-axis gimbal, streaming into an Oculus Rift with full head-controlled PTZ. Will require retractable landing gear, of course.

You'll have fully immersive visuals in 3D and be able to look around in almost any direction.

look for the transporter3D and how it work on http://emrlabs.com/
I had the Oculus Rift dk1 and about to get the dk2 in a few weeks. And yes, I tried it, it was better than any FPV headset I've used but will be better with the DK2. The company just came out with a 720p camera that will transmit 720p with 2 video transmitters, much lighter than 2 gopros and better image quality. The Transporter3D works with headtracking also.

thongbong said:
Wind_Shear said:

I had the Oculus Rift dk1 and about to get the dk2 in a few weeks. And yes, I tried it, it was better than any FPV headset I've used but will be better with the DK2. The company just came out with a 720p camera that will transmit 720p with 2 video transmitters, much lighter than 2 gopros and better image quality. The Transporter3D works with headtracking also.

Perfect. Thank you, TB. That is exactly what I'm talking about.

Now to add stabilizing gimbal...I wonder if it would work with my Zenmuse, doubt it though. The Fatshark 3-axis lets you look around, but it'd need stabilization, preferably on 3-axes.

Thanks to all for the input.

Wind_Shear said:
thongbong said:
Wind_Shear said:

Perfect. Thank you, TB. That is exactly what I'm talking about.

Now to add stabilizing gimbal...I wonder if it would work with my Zenmuse, doubt it though. The Fatshark 3-axis lets you look around, but it'd need stabilization, preferably on 3-axes.

Thanks to all for the input.

It will work with the zenmuse, but I believe you will negate the effects of head tracking. I had mine hooked up to the zenmuse with only 1 gopro, and no head tracking. You could use 2 gopros with 2 zenmuse, but you'll need a bigger bird to carry all that extra weight.

3D FPV camera BlackBird on the Phantom 2, mount printed on a 3d printer. As the final version will be ready'll post here.
10360787_266400740230557_7578763553751566764_n.jpg

OI Photography said:
thongbong said:
OI Photography said:
I've seen EMR Labs' camera unit listed for sale, just never in stock: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1572

try this
http://emrlabs.ca/shop/index.php?main_p ... cp7hnte2a6

Cool, thank you. It's still on my longer-term radar (like 1st quarter of next year), but that's the model I'm most interested in.

It should be interesting, I have a buddy that might get it soon. My Oculus Rift Dk2 is getting ready to ship. It will be very interesting to see where FPV is in the next 2 years.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl