The Mystery of the Disappearing Drone Shadow

Reaction score
I have a P4Pro V2. I took it up to my father's roof to check on some work that was performed. Corners were cut and company had to fix it, score one for the drone.

But the reason I writing is to find out if anyone has noticed what I saw in my pictures. I shoot RAW + JPEG. When flipping through the photos I noticed that in the RAW photos the drone shadow was clearly visible but in the JPEG the shadow was removed. I'm not complaining but is this suppose to happen. I've never seen imbedded software remove something so specific before.

I have a P4Pro V2. I took it up to my father's roof to check on some work that was performed. Corners were cut and company had to fix it, score one for the drone.

But the reason I writing is to find out if anyone has noticed what I saw in my pictures. I shoot RAW + JPEG. When flipping through the photos I noticed that in the RAW photos the drone shadow was clearly visible but in the JPEG the shadow was removed. I'm not complaining but is this suppose to happen. I've never seen imbedded software remove something so specific before.
RAW is what it is. The original photo and all the information captured is there. Because they are unprocessed, they come out looking flat and dark. A JPEG is a processed image with lots of information removed. The shadow was no doubt composed of that part of the information that was discarded.

The jpg images will look different from the raw but no specific elements will have been removed from the images.

The drone shadow is relatively small and depends on the structure and the colour of the background how intense it will be.
In JPEG post processing this little difference between the shadow and the background might not be visible any more. Try to change levels in photo editing software and the shadow very likely will become visible.

The drone shadow is relatively small and depends on the structure and the colour of the background how intense it will be.
In JPEG post processing this little difference between the shadow and the background might not be visible any more. Try to change levels in photo editing software and the shadow very likely will become visible.
The drone was only a couple of feet above the roof with a distinct shadow on a light background. I did not use any photo editing software, the change occurred in camera. I'll try and find screenshots and post them here.

If you want to send me the original RAW file, I'll edit it in Lightroom and return the jpg to you. I have no idea what happens in-camera, but I can tell you exactly what Lr does to it. Drop a line to [email protected] if you want to follow up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31